Mk3 Spitfire engine and gearbox rebuild

Messing about with SU needles. What fun. You seem to be making progress though Pete

Good luck with the RBRR. Will either cure you of your ailments or kill you.

Weather forecast up our neck of the woods is looking rather challenging at times so be prepared.

And if you need assistance let me know and I'll do what I can to help. Although I have my own challenges during the day on Saturday and Sunday as I am Club Steward for the last sprint double header at Kames (Muirkirk) this weekend. Waterproofs and long johns needed I suspect.

As I recall, (and I do quite vividly even after 13 years), the RBRR is a severe test of both man and machine, but especially man. In our case, the car could have done the trip again, straight after. The crew however, were almost completely broken by Gordano early on Sunday morning.

It helps (a lot) if you are a crew of three in a big saloon. A small convertible with non-reclining seats however ……:pinch:

It also helps if you are one of those people who can sleep while hung on a barbed wire fence in a storm, or even just while sat upright in jolting, noisy car. I am not. Once was enough.

Came very close to going home from Gordano (just 35 miles from home) and then again when we went within 15 miles of home on the Sunday afternoon.  The hotel room in Enfield for Sunday night was uncancellable though….. both crew are pretty stubborn!

Bad weather, especially persistently bad weather is unhelpful…. It is very noticeable at the Badgers Holt stop that the crews are in much worse condition if the weather is bad.

Lucozade Sport is good….. but not magic. Not sure if we had discovered it on the RBRR but certainly gets used on the 10CR.

I’ll see you at Badgers Holt and will be chasing you nearly all the way back to Haynes. Not sure of your route, but you’ll almost certainly be passing within a mile or two of here…. So if you  do have issues in that area, we can likely help.

Thanks for the support!

Colin we pass Glasgow-ish (is that where you are?) late afternoon on Saturday so expect you'll be busy if we're anywhere near you. I won't come on here nagging if we're stuck on the north coast :)

Nick I wouldn't attempt it without a reclining passenger seat to sleep in! Although it's not easy even then; not surprised you've never been tempted back. From Badgers Holt it's the most direct main road route towards Yeovil. A30, possibly. The road numbers in my brain have all merged into one.

I'm apprehensive about weather and fuel, on top of the normal worries of a 48 hour drive in a partially tested car. Did it in 2018 and the only proper rain was just after setting off, then it was dry the rest of the weekend. Looks like being a different proposition this time, we shall see. 

Oh for heaven's sake. Just seen that my new radiator top hose is leaking along its seam... 

Fortunately i've got the old one plus another new. Annoyingly I'd just got the car home from the lockup after partially draining the coolant to swap a jubilee clip. So now I have to part drain it again but without the convenient bits of pipe and funnel (which I didn't bring).

_20211001_104818.JPG

38 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

Oh for heaven's sake. Just seen that my new radiator top hose is leaking along its seam... 

Fortunately i've got the old one plus another new. Annoyingly I'd just got the car home from the lockup after partially draining the coolant to swap a jubilee clip. So now I have to part drain it again but without the convenient bits of pipe and funnel (which I didn't bring).

_20211001_104818.JPG

WTF! :mad:

I am pleased to hear you have a reclining passenger seat. I was concerned.

Even with that I realise this is not an endeavour for me.

The local TSSC group just posted to say that you guys have a stop at Gartcosh Social Club tomorrow between 5.39 and 6.39 pm (which seems remarkably precise :biggrin:) that's pretty close to home so if I can get away sharp I'll try and pop along to say hello.

But seriously, while I can't help with the human wreckage, if you need mechanical help give me a shout. Any yes the North coast is a ways away, the thing that folks tend to forget is that by the time you reach Inverness you're still only half way to the top :blink:.

Good luck :thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

the thing that folks tend to forget is that by the time you reach Inverness you're still only half way to the top :blink:.

Yeah, that does come as a bit of a surprise to we southerners, following on from the surprise of how far north of the border Glasgow and Edinburgh are :biggrin:

As for that hose…… :blink: :pinch: :mad:. Eh? It’s not even a seam it’s a moulding line and should be a vestigial external feature only.  What is it with reproduction rubber parts??!

• Like 1

Still going ok,we've got a minor coolant leak but can't trace it. There's also a noise which I thought was speedo cable or something rubbing as it's road speed related. Decided to start worrying that it's somehow gearbox related. Otherwise we're making excellent time, ahead of the checkpoint timings so far.

Weather has been mixed, we had a beautiful morning along the north coast. Now raining steadily and set to get worse. Currently heading along A82 towards Fort William with lots of traffic.

Oh and I'm tired!

Great to meet you in person Colin, thanks for dropping by. The Irn Bru has been a revelation, kept me alert on the M74 and M6 down to Tebay services (saving the caramel wafers for the dreadful M5 section). Awful weather a little while after we left Glasgow, lots of standing water. Apparently one team have crashed out, no injuries. It was one of the Spitfires but don't know any other details.

Just entered Wales after accidental detour. Got a good hour's sleep while Mike battled the motorway boredom. No rain at the mo, roads damp but not drenched.

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon gents, very belated update before I start asking for more advice! Was pleased to have a post-RBRR break from frenetic spannering, then work and family kept me occupied.

After all the effort and investment was very satisfied that engine and gearbox performed well on the Round Britain. The overdrive made a world of difference, as you'd expect. I only left it on in 1st gear a couple of times... (locks out on reverse only).

We did indeed suffer dynamo failure at 1am in Wales but had a spare in the boot. It turned out that I had put new brushes in the spare but not the one under the bonnet, and one brush had worn down, broken up and half fallen out. Silly me. The spare then caused some worry later because the ignition light started flickering at odd times. 

Other issue was a mis-fire at high RPM that became more prevalent on Sunday afternoon. Weeks later I discovered it was the coil, which had been on the car since I bought it 7 years and 16k miles ago...

The slight coolant leak turned out to be the water pump weeping. There was still a pinhole evident in my dodgy radiator soldering but apparently nothing coming out of it.

The weather was a mix of fine and awful. I resorted to gaffer taping the inside of the hood to the passenger window to keep some of the rain and wind out. Bit of performance when trying to open the door later on. 

Anyway I loved it, except the bit along the M5 when I'd finished my driving stint but co-driver Mike was clearly knackered as well. I've never seen such bloodshot eyeballs on a sober man. I then couldn't snooze for worrying that we'd crash and die. But it all worked out in the end :wacko:

Here's a few photos to prove it happened:

IMG-20211006-WA0005.jpg

DSC_8641.JPG

DSC_8629.JPG

IMG-20211006-WA0000.jpg

fixing the dynamo.jpg

48.5hrs around Britain.jpg

5 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Utterly bonkers. Glad you made it, really glad you didn't die and very pleased to have met you. :banana:

PS where is that wee petrol station? It looks vaguely familiar...

hehe, thanks! I'm particularly glad about not dying. Your Irn Bru ration helped I reckon.

The petrol station was in Tongue, just off the RBRR route slightly. Google said it was there but we nearly drove past, it was less imposing than expected... cute, if a bit lacking in facilities. 

I've got a bit of an oil pressure concern, unfortunately. The running pressure is fine, without being astronomical. But starting from cold or after standing for a while, it definitely takes longer to build up than it should. I've done some direct comparisons against my FWD 1300, and the Spitfire takes much longer for the warning lamp to extinguish and also for anything to register on the gauge. 

My only thought is the pump - any other possibilities? I've changed filters a couple of times (Mann) and it made no difference. I haven't swapped the FWD filter over to it though, which would eliminate that variable. 

I'm wondering if the pump baseplate is worn / not quite flat, which is allowing the pump to completely drain out. But not really sure if that makes sense - would it completely drain itself via the pickup anyway? The FWD pressure springs up almost immediately, whereas the Spit takes a good few seconds. Even if I spin it over a bit with no choke. 

I didn't change or service the pump during the full rebuild, but did grind the scores out of the baseplate during a bottom end service back in 2018. Wondering if I might have ground it a bit unevenly. Can't remember noticing this before but I knew the engine was a bit tired previously so wouldn't have paid close attention. 

Any thoughts welcome.