GT6 J Type Wiring

Speedysix

Evening All, 

Just a quick one, I've been soring out the wiring in the GT6 today and was a bit unsure about how to wire up my J type OD. Still have the column mounted switch and I'm told that I don't need a relay. If anyone's got a simple wiring diagram or advice that would be most appreciated. Figured I'd ask for help before going around in circles for hours tomorrow!

Thanks,

Jacob

For J type no relay is required though still not a bad idea.

Without relay:

Power from a fused, ignition-switched source connects to the column switch then on to the inhibitor switch on top of the gearbox. From there it goes on to the solenoid and the solenoid is earthed locally to the gearbox casing.

With a relay:

As above, but substitute the relay coil for the OD solenoid. A separate (and I suggest individually fused) circuit goes from power source to relay contacts to solenoid and then local earth on the gearbox.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

For J type no relay is required though still not a bad idea.

Without relay:

Power from a fused, ignition-switched source connects to the column switch then on to the inhibitor switch on top of the gearbox. From there it goes on to the solenoid and the solenoid is earthed locally to the gearbox casing.

With a relay:

As above, but substitute the relay coil for the OD solenoid. A separate (and I suggest individually fused) circuit goes from power source to relay contacts to solenoid and then local earth on the gearbox.

Cheers Nick, I’ll give it a try in the morning! 

If you use a relay the current through the switch is lowered the the current draw of the relay coil (very low) and it does not see the current of the solenoid coil. I prefer to use the trans switch to be the neg. side of the relay through the column switch. This prevent a failed trans switch or column switch shorting to their mounting point and ground/earth

• 11 months later...

Greetings..... welcome. :smile:

No wiring difference using the shifter switch rather than column switch.  Think hard about which switch type you want though.  With a column switch you can flick in and out of OD with both hands on the wheel - possibly the ideal scenario when driving fast on a twisting road using 3rd/OD 3rd.  Or, the counter argument, which was my position, on the stick, all your gear controls are in the same place (important for my little monkey brain) and you can flick out of overdrive (or in) whilst changing gear, whereas you could get a bit crossed up when wanting to go OD third to non-OD 4th.  Maybe column switch and logic controller is the ideal.....  I don't really have a dog in the fight anymore as all my cars are 5 speed.

On a practical note, the shifter switch is more of a pain to wire up, just because you have to connect to the switch (with odd-ball connections) in the gear knob, get the wires down the inside of the stick and out the side/bottom in a safe and robust fashion.  Stick wires are sold by various companies, but I've never seen one I liked and the one I did buy (a long time ago now wasn't fit for purpose.  Hopefully someone has a more positive experience and can recommend.  I think the relay type harnesses are available separately (I might even have one that came with other stuff) but they assume standard pattern wiring and relay position so given it's a very simple thing you may do better to make your own to suit you exact needs?

Tell us a bit more about your car.  Do you have any pics?