Today I, Bollocks.....

Yes ideal. My Mum was wont to do the same from the bathroom window back in the day :laugh: Squirrels and rabbits were considered fair game.

Unfortunately here in Scotlandshire it became illegal to own an air rifle without a licence. Along the same lines as firearms. All unlicensed airguns were to be handed in to the polis.

So mine was carefully dismantled, thoroughly cleaned of prints and disposed of in a communal bin.

Not so sure on the squirrel front (despite being a mere few miles from Colin, I am in mostly Red Squirrel territory) however I strongly advise against poison!

We tried that years ago in the old family house in a war against mice. Humane traps just delays the bringing of death. Poison means rotting corpses inside walls where you cannot get at them. Proper death inducing traps don't catch enough. Our final (semi successful) approach was a cat.

So sorry Nick, Pine Martin it is! Can't assist with the locating of said animal however, I'm afraid.

56 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Unfortunately here in Scotlandshire it became illegal to own an air rifle without a licence. Along the same lines as firearms. All unlicensed airguns were to be handed in to the polis

Gosh, didn't know that!    The application criteria don't look rigorous, but £75 for five years!!!

Today I…

Let’s start with yesterday.  I was supposed to go to my city based office in the afternoon.  I’ve been working remotely as much as possible, but I have to go in for some stuff.

Just before I left my regular office to go to the city one, an old friend who’s a pharmacist texted me to say he had 2 slots for booster vaccine doses available.  With Omicron just starting to hit here, the powers that be have just shortened the window for dose 3 down from 6 months to 5.  Our rollout has been all sorts of fucked up because of the federal government’s inability to secure supply, and News corps relentless pushing of anti vax airplay.  We we so far behind the rest of the developed world it’s not funny, but the south east states are now pretty much at 85-90%+ double vaxxed.  

With Omicron looking like it’s brushing through ageing Az double doses like mine, I really wanted to get the protection of a 3rd dose of a second type of tech into my system, and when my mate said he had a couple of spare Moderna’s available, I cancelled my trip into the city and headed to his pharmacy to roll up my sleeve, along with senior management.  We were both officially due for the booster on Xmas day, but couldn’t get a booking anywhere after that till well after new year’s.  Good friends are good to have!

Apparently, when an old buddy is the one to jab you, he also gets to pick the colour of your bandaid.

8DE3ED70-2AEA-429E-A610-5C57F10CF264.jpeg

I’m pretty sure he had blue ones too, but I was too grateful for the top up to complain.

Fast forward to today.

Bit of a sore arm, bit of a headache, but off to work in the suburbs, with a plan to loop through the city office tomorrow to get some stuff ready for the Xmas shutdown.

Got a cascading email flow from the city late today.  The office Junior tested positive on a rapid test.  Office closed till new year.  Office Junior officially positive on a PCR.  Everyone off for testing.  Looks like everyone gets to isolate for 7 days from tomorrow, so no Xmas, no New Years, no travel.  I wasn’t there so I’m exempt.

I was born lucky, and it’s still holding.  Getting a booster is already protecting me from Covid.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Nothing wrong with being lucky….  
No plasters here. Hole isn’t big enough to leak anyway.

No blood, Nick?   Some do bleed!   I always have a plaster to hand.

And I have my own theory that some - not all! - of the arm pain is due to bleeding into the muscle, so I encourage my victims to keep pressing on that injection (NOT massaging!) for a minute or so, until clotting can occur.     I've no evidence, none at all, but it's so simple to do.

Craig, what is the difficulty hat Australia has in getting vaccine?     Yours is a wealthy country, that should be able to do like ours and throw money at the problem.    They have just bought over 4 million doses of various antiviral drugs, for the vulnerable in the hope that they will keep them out of hospital: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/uk-government-omicron-nhs-secretary-world-b973334.html   Of these, molnupiravir seems best perfoming: https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2602

John

Edited by JohnD

My Daughter has had a terrible year, damaged the hip joint and has meant that she has spent the last year on crutches and been really disabled. Difficult when you have  3 and 6 years children. This has meant we the grandparents have spent the year becoming parents again, looking after them taking them to and from school etc.
She finally got into the NHS system and had a arthroscopy repair in September. Excellent service from the NHS (we were prepared to go private ~£12k because she was so disabled) excellent sugeon and great phsio follow up. Quite brutal operation that involves pulling the joint apart. Lots of rest and Phsio and she is finally on the mend and has been able to walk to school and drive again.
Then she had her booster last Friday and the hip joint has become painful again...  She talked to the phsio yesterday and it appears to be an side effect of the booster causing inflammation in the repaired ligament. The Phsio has seen other people with the same problem after having the booster. So she is back on pain killers, crutches and rest  and hoping its a short term problem..
She doesn't regret having the booster and she has reported the reaction thru the yellow card scheme just a shame its happened before Christmas with 2 over excited kids...

mike

• 2 weeks later...

I started a while ago to clean up the car Parts and spares that I collected during the Last years. I (try) to keep only parts that I think I could need some time in the future or parts that are difficult to get (ie R100 driveshafts :biggrin: ).

The rest shall go. I always had the intention to have a stall in Stoneleigh to bring the parts back to their origin. But due to the Brexit this makes  no sense. Would  be interesting to cross the border with a car full of spareparts and discuss  they are for sale at an autojumble. :laugh: No idea how customs would react.

Now I restore a set of carbs for each car. Nice work during the Holiday. HS2 on the bench.

Cheers and a happy New Year. 

Martin

08B0A54A-57CC-4D65-817D-6E8ADF48832C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Last night saw the round of the Woolbridge 12 Car series. SM is positively keen now!

The good news was that it was all very local, mostly on roads we know well and even cycle on. The bad news was the parts of it were really foggy (like WTF does the road go foggy), and some of the roads were of the standard where you wouldn’t necessarily notice immediately if you left them!  Also, possibly we were not challenged enough to be fully concentrating as we missed 3 code boards. One possibly because it wasn’t there / had fallen over, we definitely passed where it was alleged to be and were actually looking out for one. The other two though we didn’t pass as they were on loops we missed. One due to miss-plotting and the other was plotted correctly but plot not correctly followed (it was REALLY foggy there).

Still good enough for 4th. Not too shabby. The poor car is exceptionally turd-resembling today, brown and lumpy all over…… even mud on the roof! I’m also fairly relieved that all the wheels are still on and the tyres inflated this morning. Some (most even) of the lanes were in a shocking state.

Very impressive performance by Mr and Mrs Nick :thumbsup:

Mud on the roof suggests you were trying.

I have been out in the Peaks in the dark fog like that once. Actually had to stop and get out at one point to check where I was on the road. :blink:

Today I am removing knackered old tyres from a set of 5.5" wheels. Using a jigsaw, angle grinder and jemmy. Think that's what is called a prybar/crowbar in Englandshire although up here a prybar doesn't have the hooked end while a jemmy does.

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse

3 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Today I am removing knackered old tyres from a set of 5.5" wheels. Using a jigsaw, angle grinder and jemmy. Think that's what is called a prybar/crowbar in Englandshire although up here a prybar doesn't have the hooked end while a jemmy does.

I bought one of the cheapo tyre removal/fitting stands a few years back. It does the job you describe fairly well. The downside is that you end up with a pile of old tyres that are rather costly to get rid of….

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

I bought one of the cheapo tyre removal/fitting stands a few years back. It does the job you describe fairly well. The downside is that you end up with a pile of old tyres that are rather costly to get rid of….

Had wondered how good those things actually are. Interesting. 

As I want to get these wheels refurbished the old tyres can't go in the swap with the new ones. And like you say a tyre is awkward to get rid of. A pile of old bits of rubber are less so, especially if not in a hurry :ninja:

I now have 11 5.5" wheels. 5 without tyres, 4 on the car with the Yokohamas and another 2 with the super soft Avons. There used to be 12, three complete sets  but one had the turn of the rim ripped off when I put it into the tyre wall.

That's a good number of 5.5"s.  I scored 5 a couple of years back.  Two on rear of GT6, two on rear of Spit (both have 5" on the front) and one spare that the PO spent good money on powder coating even though it has a huge dink in the rrim.  Would straighten easy enough I think, but not without killing the powder coat.

I suppose I could sacrifice a few 1mm grinding disks and chop up some tyres...... I've got about 16 though...... perhaps I should turn them into swings or sculptures .....

10 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Would straighten easy enough I think, but not without killing the powder coat.

I suppose I could sacrifice a few 1mm grinding disks and chop up some tyres...... I've got about 16 though...... perhaps I should turn them into swings or sculptures .....

It is amazing what can be recovered with these wheels with a bit of care, especially compared to alloys.

Swings and sculptures are just delaying the inevitable** :biggrin:

My experience suggests that a jigsaw with a fairly coarse wood blade is best for chopping up the tyres. The grinding discs tend to just clog and produce lots of smoke. Although you do need the grinder to chop through the wire bead. Takes a lot less time than I thought it might do once I did the first one.

Three segments also seems to be the optimum. With two the bits are too big. With four there's too much cutting. And I am rather saddened that I have worked all this out. :blink:

**although as someone once pointed out delaying the inevitable is what life is all about...

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse

Today is meant to be a "day off"  However, that didn't really happen as I've had more hit my work inbox this week than the rest of the year so far and it's all been stuff that won't just be put to bed in one attempt - every bloody one has come back with questions, wanting changes etc.....

So there I was sat at my kitchen table (it's warmer and sunnier in there than the study), fighting with SAP (my hatred for SAP is impossible to put into words, but it is a malignant force), which has been especially obstructive today (apparently I didn't have permission to perform an action.... which I have performed regularly in the past).  So there I was, the hate and frustration in my head a solid, tangible thing...... and  BANG!! tinkle crunch  from some distant corner of upstairs.

:ohmy: WTF?!!  Better check that out..... sounded like a meteor strike or something..... or is it my hatred manifesting in a physical way :blink:

07B62B9B-9E9B-4FC4-88AB-66A951B17107.JPG

At first glance it looked like one too.  Though closer examination showed that strangely it was only the inner pane of the Velux window that had exploded......

What the heck caused that?  Can't blame the Cat - he was out - as was everyone else.

However, things improved from here as a bit of googling found this....

https://www.velux.co.uk/safety-warning-new

.....and a bit of checking showed that all three of our windows are in the danger zone and listed for recall.  So I rang the number, got through after only a few minutes on hold and spoke to a very nice lady who has arranged for the sealed units in all three windows to be replaced FOC.  If the rest of the process is as efficient it will be an exemplary customer service experience.

Though I might be a bit less cheery about it if anyone had been anywhere near it - jagged shards of glass everywhere!

If you have any Velux units in your houses, suggest checking out that link and checking your windows.  There have been many incidents I reckon.

:blink: Oh.

Never a good time but some times are less good than others. Fortunate no-one was under it at the time.

Thanks for the heads up. Our Velux are older than that although they have had the glazing units replaced. First just lost the sealing between the panes and filled up with moisture. Replaced that glazing unit myself. No big deal really.

The other one cracked on the inner pane right across the window about 6" from the bottom. That is the big one 4 ft x 4 ft. Having installed that originally I fully appreciated the scale of the task and got the men in to do that one. Very professional they were too.

PS. SAP is beyond contempt, which is only exceeded for those who inflict it on their workforce. You have my deepest sympathy for that too.

19 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

SAP is beyond contempt, which is only exceeded for those who inflict it on their workforce. You have my deepest sympathy for that too.

Indeed. Invariably chosen by accountants in my experience, although it doesn’t seem to be all that good in that area either. It’s still like computing from the 80s. Compare to the software you can use to order things online from all kinds of companies large and small - and weep. :mad:(or scowl and huff in my case)