Today I, Bollocks.....

Built at Santana Motors in Spain in 1998. Only 136.000 km and the unbreakable lively  1.5 liter 80 Bhp Engine under the bonnet. Looks bad But only rotten in a few areas that are easy to repair. Think we will get a further  2 years  approval.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went to Crieff to collect this...*

1701387963_sandingtable.thumb.jpg.805b235fa18feeac06ec09ea681af9cc.jpg

Autumn has arrived in a rush and weather a bit wet on the way up. But saw this parked by the road in Muthil. E reg late Mk2 judging by the front overriders. It was the Ashley hardtop that caught my eye, that and the colour!

20210927_110438.thumb.jpg.bd2182f9018c2514192e162f3daa5cfd.jpg

Rain stopped and the sun came out on the way back. Rural Perthshire in all it's glory

20210927_120721.thumb.jpg.a44a57f12db5067ae69f7192ddcef523.jpg

*can you tell what it is yet???

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Today I went to Crieff to collect this...*

1701387963_sandingtable.thumb.jpg.805b235fa18feeac06ec09ea681af9cc.jpg

Autumn has arrived in a rush and weather a bit wet on the way up. But saw this parked by the road in Muthil. E reg late Mk2 judging by the front overriders. It was the Ashley hardtop that caught my eye, that and the colour!

20210927_110438.thumb.jpg.bd2182f9018c2514192e162f3daa5cfd.jpg

Rain stopped and the sun came out on the way back. Rural Perthshire in all it's glory

20210927_120721.thumb.jpg.a44a57f12db5067ae69f7192ddcef523.jpg

*can you tell what it is yet???

vacuum table

spitfire

countryside

i'm only confident with one of my guesses - i'm not good with these online quizzes

Edited by Hamish

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

:thumbsup: close enough Phil. eeither a downdraft sanding table. 

Attempting to keep the stoor from cutting carbon fibre to a minimum. Got it very cheap and hardly used.

Bloody heavy though..

Not a bad guess then! I saw the holes, and having followed your thread on making panels decided it was worth a punt.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Today the weather forecast was rather better to the south and east than at home so we decided to go to the Isle of Purbeck (it’s not an island) in south east Dorset.  It’s not an area we go to very often as it’s a bit far but discovered (or were reminded) today that it’s worth the effort. As the weather was distinctly claggy at home we took the GT6. Definitely the right machine for the outward run but the Vitesse would have been better on the return.

Parked at Tyneham, the village “borrowed” from its residents to provide a location to practise for the D-day landings. They were naive enough to think they might get it back one day. Not sure any are left alive, but they are still waiting. All the land around is still firing ranges used by tanks from nearby Bovingdon.

Its a very beautiful area though and when the ranges are open, there are some great walks, albeit somewhat hilly.

570EBA9F-DE35-430C-BDB1-875598D75797.jpeg

Tyneham is mostly in the woods and the houses are all ruined. The church and school are intact and are turned into museums.  There were a lot of people there todayFFBF33F2-807E-4898-87E4-E15B298CD8A8.jpeg

Having climbed to the top of the ridge above Kimmeridge, this what you see if you look west……02020D99-E9D5-4D28-96E1-769F7EF8B306.jpeg

East is a bit less rugged

2A55E8D8-09E6-4505-BA04-1DBF57ECBF29.jpeg

Down at Kimmeridge we found this nodding donkey, reckoned be the UKs longest producing oil well and still nodding away today.

A1E0B404-E317-42F4-B841-D5E6008C83AA.jpeg

Wave-cut platform and coastal lookout station at Kimmeridge bay. There were people swimming, paddle-boarding and canoeing. Although October it was downright hot (and humid). I was down to a t-shirt and regretting my jeans!

CDE06FF2-AAA9-449D-9A10-8FA4782DA9F1.jpeg

Headed back towards Tyneham and struggling up some significant slopes, running rather hot….. magnificent scenery though.789FC99A-6587-406E-9467-31BF230164C0.jpeg

finally an extra loop in the other direction. This is Worbarrow bay looking east towards Lulworth.

Back at the car it was time to hunt the ice-cream van. We’d seen one at a overlook car park on the next ridge inland while walking, but by the time we got there he’d moved on….. Bollocks!

Never mind, having come almost all the way home, I found one at HamHill. Pretty much at the exact spot where Craig was photographed in his “Flying visit” thread. Mission complete :smile:

Worbarrow bay is a special place.  Lots of fossils.  There is a small headland that juts out on the east side of the bay and on the east side of that there is  -or used to be- a large wave-worn ammonite in the rock, about two feet across.  It must be 40 years since I was last there so maybe it has gone now.....

• 3 weeks later...

The relatively new daily driver a T5 transporter (shuttle variety) lost all drive on Monday.  After a quote of over a grand I managed to grab an aftermarket driveshaft for a hundred and spent today replacing it.  Thought it might amuse people that it's not just old, or high powered vehicles which break them.

20211028_161832.jpg

20211028_161838.jpg

Edited by egret

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing 12 Car rallies with the Woolbridge MC for years.  Always as a driver (apart from very many years ago when I tried navigating and found it made me carsick).  Most recently with no.1 son Chris who is very good - which actually used to win occasionally!

However, he's moved away..... so apart for doing the occasional "guest drive" for other navigators in the series I've had a quiet couple of years (Covid didn't help either).  But now I have a new navigator - maybe.  Senior Management has stepped up.  We did a few "past papers" as table top exercises, attended the pre-season training session and , Wednesday evening, actually went out on an event.  Bit of a baptism of fire for her as although it started nice and close to home and the weather wasn't bad, that's where easy ended.  Rallies vary in difficulty according to who sets them and this wasn't an especially easy one, even the beginners version.  It also had an in-town section (first I can remember in 12 years!) which is hard (because lots happening close together) and got us lost.  Then, having recovered from that, there was a police roadblock on the route due to an accident (nothing to do with the rally), which threw up a new challenge..... and the roads.... well, couple of times we thought we must have gone wrong 'cause the "track" seemed to be petering out.....  In spite of all this we did enough of the route to find all the time controls (no fails), all but 3 of the code boards (one of which was only found by one team and they came last - go figure!), so we came 6th - first beginners.

Apparently she gets car-sick too - though she didn't tell me until afterwards......  She hasn't been entirely put off and will most likely do the next one.  She'll expect to be second or third then though - bit competitive it turns out!!

Having rediscovered the Isle of Purbeck a few weeks back (as previously reported here), Thursday found us both off work and with a sunny day on our hands so we decided to go back down there.  A spure of the moment decision that saw about 5 minutes elapse between the suggestion being made and getting out of the door. Spontaneous is us (very occasionally).  Didn't travel by Triumph as it had been a very cold night and I was worried the gritters might have been out - though in fact they had not.

This time we went to Studland.  Been there just once before when the kids were smallish, to Corfe Castle and then to the beach.  This time we went directly to Studland village, parked in an NT carpark and walked out to Old Harry rocks -a first for both of us.  Beautiful clear day with low angle sun made the Isle of Wight glow well

IMG_6679sc.jpg

The rocks - compete with a couple of nutter who had parked their canoes and were splashing around under the rocks.  Didn't seem warm enough for that to me!

IMG_6681s.jpg

Looking the other way from the same spot, moody into the sun shotIMG_6687s.jpg

The up on the ridge - it was "fresh" up there thanks to a brisk easterly.  Looking east towards  Studland beach and Sandbanks

IMG_6707s.jpg

Then a spot of lunch in the Middle Beach cafe with approximately this view out of the window, before a slightly brave rolling decision that saw us walking the full length of the beach (too chilly for naturists apparently) just in time to see the Jersey hydrofoil come in

IMG_6712s.jpg

Then it's, "oh crap, how did we get here", and, "it's a long way back to the car".  Came back through the dunes with sand dragging at out feet....

IMG_6714s.jpg

Nearly back......

Walked about 10 miles in all......  Felt old Friday morning.

IMG_6704s.jpg

Holidayed in Swanage for many years growing up. Used to take us 8 hours, all A roads down from SE London in my dad's 1200cc Mk1 Cortina. A mixture of fear and excitement crossing from sandbanks on the chain ferry, wondering if the hand brake would hold. We always seemed to be the last car loaded pointing up hill on the back of the ferry.

Good for Mrs J!  I'm very impressed! Excellent!  Mrs SS won't even get in my car because it noisy, smelly, uncomfortable, dangerous, cold, draughty, leaky, too hot and too small.

There's always that fine line between driving fast enough to stay within time but not too fast so that your nav feels ill as a result.  Mark R navs for me in the CMC winter 12 Car series and is pretty bullet proof even if we are pressing on a bit to make up time. I have to admit that I have been sick myself a couple of times, having to open the drivers door to vomit while still making forward progress. The thing that gets me is a section that follows old field tracks which are now roads - 400yds then brake hard, 90deg left, accelerate and brake hard 400yds later for a 90 right, and so on. I've tried all sorts of pills but they either don't work or make me fall asleep.