Today I, Bollocks.....

One of the most enduring threads on another site I haunt is titled thusly.  It’s a spot to put the thing that happens that’s not necessarily worth a thread of its own, but has amused, entertained, engaged, or annoyed you that day.

I figured we could use one here.

So, in that spirit, today was a good day.  In a world going mad, a couple of good friends and I conducted what we’ve been making an annual tradition.  

Take el cheapo $25 inflatable boats, and float 8kms down the river from our Xmas holiday town of choice to the next town.

A 3 hour mission followed by an hour or so at the pub laughing at the idiocy of our adventures.

Some days are better than others.  This was a good one.149ECC4F-319A-4CD3-8350-18185009C0CF.jpeg

Ahhhhh........ I'm not jealous at all....... :blink:

Ok.... so I lie - just the thought of being outdoors and comfortable in shorts and T-shirt turns me green.  Then there is this floating down a scenic river with some mates.... to the bloody PUB!

Seriously though - great to see you getting some quality recreational time - not before time! :smile:

Scenic, warm-looking pics appreciated.

Nick

At the risk of a slight thread deviation... just spotted this on LinkedIn and found myself considering the options:

1.  you're a bit heavy on the mascara

2.  somebody has stolen your strapline and is currently making social media capital out of it

3.  you have a handy side-line in printed mugs

1609773571523.thumb.jpg.7ab2b3829b704b10c4a530e4cbdcbf39.jpg

Paul

Edited by PaulAA

Today I.....

am "working" from home.  Again.  TBH there isn't a great deal happening.  Between post Christmas break blues, brexit and lockdown v.?*, the economy appears to be stunned.  Many of my German colleagues still have their out of office messages on.  Not sure whether they've extended their breaks because they have leave to burn or because they are still serving out their latest lockdown.

The problem with working from home in winter is that it's cold.  Unless I put the heating on.....  I suppose the heating cost is offset by not driving 36 miles.  Given that I'm running the A8 rather than the A6 just now, I might even come out ahead.

* Truly I have lost track.  Pretty sure that before Christmas we were Tier 2 and have now arrived in full lockdown (or is it called Tier 5?) having visited each intermediate stage briefly on the way.  And they wonder why people are confused and compliance is poor.....

29 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

:biggrin:

Your forgot 

4. He stole the strapline from the picture of a mug on the internet.

5. It's a universal truth and only borrowed

That one is slightly different from mine anyway 

Nope, you can't brush it off that easily.  Ask SM how to apply mascara properly. :biggrin:

Huh. Don’t know how you can stand it...... :blink:

The ice cream...... takes me back.....

......to our first escape from lockdown 1. Took the Vitesse and drove to Beer. Park on the cliff top and walk along to Branscombe. Perfect weather. Truly glorious, further enhanced by being OUT. And the ice cream shop at Branscombe was OPEN!! Result!

25A9E7AF-7E70-44F2-BE6F-7ED59A31EBEC.jpeg

21st May that was. Feels like a previous life.

Hope the real world isn’t too big a crash!

• 3 weeks later...

Light dusting of snow early this morning, mixed with rain, that fell on frosty roads.  Not a good time for wheels or feet. Our drive and the road is sheet ice, even at 11.30am.

So we’ve been skulking indoors and SM had been practicing her monkey-clipping. I now look a bit less like one of those highland cattle.....  There is fur everywhere!

• 4 weeks later...

We had an escape of the big V from quarantine a fortnight ago, and as a result got chucked into a 5 day statewide circuit breaker lockdown last Friday at midnight.

Senior Management and I celebrated our release tonight by cycling up to the local foodie hub and having a restaurant dinner in the sun.

EE66796B-E6C4-4C19-AC8C-38D5785F3173.jpeg

Definitely beats lockdown, and it looks like the 5 day “lockdown lite” has broken the transmission cycle again.

Restaurant dinner...... sun....... what dey......:blink:

Sounds like you are living the dream .  Have to confess to some envy. Though we are having take-away fish and chips from one of the better local pubs tomorrow evening as a special treat. :smile:

Fancy living somewhere where a 5 day circuit breaker lockdown can make a difference....... here it’s taken 6 weeks of lockdown to get the official daily infection rate below 15k.

Mind you, interpretation of lockdown might be a factor. Been out today and things looked pretty normal. Plenty of traffic..... including schools traffic..... 

• Sad 1

Nick, anyone missing food that isn't cooked at home, I recommend a discovery - "The Spice Taylor" - that enables just that, food cooked at home that doesn't taste that way!

I saw them at Sainsburys, and thought I'd try it.   Three packets, dry spices, a 'base' sauce and a 'main' sauce.   You supply the meat and the cooking, and supplement with whatever you fancy - naans, poppadums, other accompaniments from the Sub-Continent, and the result is remarkable!     I could not do a recognisable Butter Chicken or a Goan Curry any other way!

No connection with the firm, I'm just chuffed to be a curry cook! 

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Lockdown relaxed a little........ Spitty out of winter storage, Vitesse awakened...... weather - pretty good for late March and SMs birthday.

Lets hit the beach!  Seatown, Dorset......

IMG_5718s.jpg

Lardy Volvo for scale......

Unfortunately, the pub is still shut, but we didn't care.

Edit: Some minor amusement; as we were returning to the car there was a couple admiring the cars and he was getting really excited about my Swiss motorway sticker collection.  There are 5 on the windscreen, the oldest being from our honeymoon visit in '93, which he thought was quite remarkable.  It's actually 2 short as it's been 7 times..... his head nearly exploded when I told him that...... people are strange :blink:

Very nice colour combination on the Spitty, Nick. At the risk of admitting that I've missed the relevant post, what colour is the bodywork grey?

Big day tomorrow - unwrapping the '6 and seeing whether anything leaks.  First fire-up since the beginning of January.

Paul

Hello All

There we were doing a bit of essential shopping and just stopped to check the car when we attracted another Triumph out doing some essential shopping and as the cars needed a rest we thought why not eat some of the food we had just purchased.
Small world is it not?

Roger

DSC02185.JPG

DSC02186.JPG

DSC02188.JPG

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

That’s good news on at least two levels Paul, but mainly because it sounds like you are making a good recovery :smile:

Spitty is grey (RAL7031 blue grey). Not  a Triumph colour. Vitesse is Rover mid grey which is very close to dolphin grey.

Thanks, Nick. I'm casting caution to the wind - still got The Cough, a sore throat and this damned, unshakeable fatigue, but I firmly believe that a dose of CO and burnt oil in slow-moving traffic will do me more good than the vaccine I currently don't qualify for :mad:...

RAL 7031... noted. Lovely colour.

Paul

Looks a bit chilly Roger?

It can rumble on a bit Paul... both SM and I had periodic recurrences, mercifully fairly brief, but somewhat provoked by “overdoing it” so suggest you take it fairly steady.....

As regards the vaccine, hopefully you’ve grown your own antibodies now......

4 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Looks a bit chilly Roger?

Hello Nick

It was now today the weather is taking the pee!  SUNNY BLUE sky and Warm!!!

I am not sure the weather forecasters live on the same Planet as us?

Roger

On 1/5/2021 at 11:03 AM, Nick Jones said:

:biggrin:

Your forgot 

4. He stole the strapline from the picture of a mug on the internet.

5. It's a universal truth and only borrowed

That one is slightly different from mine anyway 

But you didn't deny the bit about the mascara!

@GT6MK3Like the rubber rafting, and the ice cream. Our local ice cream cafe is open today and was rather tempted as it's a cracking day in Glasgow.

4 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

There we were doing a bit of essential shopping and just stopped to check the car when we attracted another Triumph out doing some essential shopping and as the cars needed a rest we thought why not eat some of the food we had just purchased.
Small world is it not?

Roger

What a lovely coincidence. Serendipity even :laugh:

I washed the Scimitar in the sunshine. Not quite same league as above. But resting up for a big day tomorrow

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse
missed a bit

Easter. A time of sharing everything with your loved ones.

So everybody seems to have buggered off to share their town germs with the oldies in the country - Warsaw never gets this empty...

DSC_0022.thumb.JPG.84ebee9fa67bc606de10d5446a25c703.JPG

Edited by PaulAA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1