Updates...

GT6MK3

• 3 months later...

Spent some $$ out of the Sideways fund tonight to renew our software license.

Thank you to all the members who’ve hit (and in many cases hit more than once) the donate button.  It’s your donations that keep our hosting and infrastructure viable, and keeps Sideways on the air.

We run Sideways as frugally as I can find ways to, but at the end of the day, resources cost $$.

We remain advertisement free, virtually spam free, and viable thanks to you, so “Thank You”.

C.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

Spent some $$ out of the Sideways fund tonight to renew our software license.

Thank you to all the members who’ve hit (and in many cases hit more than once) the donate button.  It’s your donations that keep our hosting and infrastructure viable, and keeps Sideways on the air.

We run Sideways as frugally as I can find ways to, but at the end of the day, resources cost $$.

We remain advertisement free, virtually spam free, and viable thanks to you, so “Thank You”.

C.

The glove should be on the other hand, Craig!   All three of those virtues are down to you!

Thank you,

John 

PS In evidence, anyone been on the TRR site recently?  Torrent of spam, with appeals from  the mods not - NOT! - to notify them as they were swept off their feet by the flood.  Vaguely attributed to outdated software, when they use the same as this site does.  Sorted now, don't know how.  J.

1 minute ago, RogerH said:

The TRR mods ask not to be contacted officially through the system but by PM/email as the official route created too much paperwork.

It is being looked at (at last).

Roger

Eh? On invision you get an email notification. Which opens a case "report". It really could not be simpler to administer.

(ask me how I know) 

The CT site currently means I validate every single new forum member, sometimes non, but sometimes 10 or so a day. I have already disabled certain areas of the world from being able to even try (those areas had a 100% spammer rate) but the USA is troublesome, about 50/50 genuine/spam applications.

1 hour ago, zetecspit said:

Eh? On invision you get an email notification. Which opens a case "report". It really could not be simpler to administer.

(ask me how I know) 

The CT site currently means I validate every single new forum member, sometimes non, but sometimes 10 or so a day. I have already disabled certain areas of the world from being able to even try (those areas had a 100% spammer rate) but the USA is troublesome, about 50/50 genuine/spam applications.

Exactly, zetec!    The TRR clearly didn't understand how to use the same software that you are using on CT.   They and us here on Sideways are fortunate to have such efficient and knowledgeable webmasters!

John

14 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Exactly, zetec!    The TRR clearly didn't understand how to use the same software that you are using on CT.   They and us here on Sideways are fortunate to have such efficient and knowledgeable webmasters!

John

It really is simple.

I get a notifivcation email saying XYZ has reported something

I go to the website, click on the notification. 

I can then look at the reported post, and can then mark the poster as a spammer. They can no longer post. 

Job done in 3 or 4 clicks. 

If TRR aren’t keeping their licensing current, they’ll have no preemptive scanning of spammers, which could be the problem.

We also don’t allow a first post until its approved by a mod, which helps with the wheat/chaff ratio.

zetec would (I suspect) agree that once the initial setup and config is done, Invision is pretty set and forget.  Third party hooks and apps can be finicky, but the core product is well supported and brilliantly stable.  I haven’t had an update fail for years, to the point where I often feel I’m wasting time when I run pre update backups.  Then again, I’ve never had a jack fail, but I won’t crawl under a car without throwing stands under too…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GT6MK3 said:

.  I haven’t had an update fail for years, to the point where I often feel I’m wasting time when I run pre update backups.  Then again, I’ve never had a jack fail, but I won’t crawl under a car without throwing stands under too…

Long may that continue, for you and the rest of us who choose to crawl under old and not so old iron.

• 1 month later...