1970 GT6 MK2

9 hours ago, Speedysix said:

And I'm guessing everyone is going to say steer clear of cams from rimmer,canley etc?

Sounds like you've settled on Newman but just to say, I bought a 4-cyl camshaft & followers from Canleys for my 1300fwd, and have had no issues. It's been transferred from one engine to another, and covered a few thousand miles now.

Chris Witor also does 6 cylinder cams: https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=254&pg=2

Lastly, before I did my Spitfire engine rebuild I was pondering whether to use the standard 25-65 cam or something more spicy. Ended up sticking with standard and haven't regretted it. Larger exhaust valves, a bit of amateur porting and a decent tubular exhaust manifold seem to give it a hint of extra pep without losing drivability.

I've driven a Spit with a Kent (?) fast road cam, not terribly well setup at the time, and it didn't impress. I'm sure it could have been better, but it takes a bit more effort to get optimal results with non-standard gear.

• Like 1

I'm with you on using near standard profiles. The one I bought from Canleys was the MK3 spitfire profile, which is supposed to be pretty good. Went for the PH1 (I think) from Newman, it has a tad more lift but not so much duration if I remember correctly. The engine is still in bits awaiting rebuild.....assuming I can find all the parts again!

• Like 1

In my experience the 2L will run very happily (and effectively) on the TR5 cam which is more aggressive than the Newman PH1 cam.

If going for a Newman I would either get them to grind a TR cam or their PH2 unless you are planning on moving away from SU/Stromberg carbs.

• Like 2

From Newman…. I would suggest either their PH1, which at 260 duration (but .250 lift) is the mildest and will give similar results to the OE cam, or their PH2 which is a 280 duration and is the limit for CD carbs IMO.

They will also grind the OE Mk2 cam or TR5/6 cam (same cost as advertised for standard range in my previous experience). Note that they recommend nitrided steel followers for all but the PH1. These are expensive but seem to work (30k on mine so far)

These expensive followers will likely be just fine. The other though need careful checking for finish and also that the faces are flat and not slightly crowned. The first set I was supplied were crowned ones….. they changed them (to the steel ones) without quibble though!

Otherwise try Chris Witor. I know at least a couple on here have his version of the OE 308778 with increased inlet lift and are pleased with it.

• Like 1

Hello All

I have a Newman PH2 in Spitty but on ITB's EFI I also went for the steel followers and at 27,000 miles I have only adjusted the valve gaps a couple of times?

I did fit bearings into the block as well!

I agree with Nick it maybe just ok on a 6 cylinder on cabs but I think would not be so good on a 4 cylinder on carbs!

Roger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Otherwise try Chris Witor. I know at least a couple on here have his version of the OE 308778 with increased inlet lift and are pleased with it.

Chris has done me a 'special' for a triple SU set up and it's fantasitic.  Highly recommended. 

Cam selection does depend on the carbs you're going to run, and the other tuning you might be carrying out.
....Though TR5 is a good selection for twin SUs or Strombergs.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 9:18 AM, Escadrille Ecosse said:

In my experience the 2L will run very happily (and effectively) on the TR5 cam which is more aggressive than the Newman PH1 cam.

If going for a Newman I would either get them to grind a TR cam or their PH2 unless you are planning on moving away from SU/Stromberg carbs.

This is something I've been finding as I've been trawling through old threads on here and the tssc forum. I think it's a bad upgrade if you have the standard strombergs but lucky me I've got the hs6 setup! I'd like to stick with that so I think either their own profile or the tr5 one. It would just be nice to find someone with the same setup:laugh:

On 5/15/2024 at 8:06 AM, PeteStupps said:

Sounds like you've settled on Newman but just to say, I bought a 4-cyl camshaft & followers from Canleys for my 1300fwd, and have had no issues. It's been transferred from one engine to another, and covered a few thousand miles now.

Chris Witor also does 6 cylinder cams: https://www.chriswitor.com/products.php?cat=254&pg=2

Lastly, before I did my Spitfire engine rebuild I was pondering whether to use the standard 25-65 cam or something more spicy. Ended up sticking with standard and haven't regretted it. Larger exhaust valves, a bit of amateur porting and a decent tubular exhaust manifold seem to give it a hint of extra pep without losing drivability.

I've driven a Spit with a Kent (?) fast road cam, not terribly well setup at the time, and it didn't impress. I'm sure it could have been better, but it takes a bit more effort to get optimal results with non-standard gear.

I have seen Chris's cam options and his slightly more lift mk2 cam profile, is a good contender too.

I think it might have just been a bad batch of cams that Steve had the misfortune of having, yourself and many others have had no issues, I don't think Dave would be selling them if they weren't good! It's just the sad reality with these hit or miss quality parts nowadays, so many bad repros, I've been fortunate so far that I've not had any major ones

For the cam it's the same money, I do always order from canley but at least with newman I know I'm getting a seriously decent quality cam, just one less thing to worry about!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 1:32 PM, Nick Jones said:

From Newman…. I would suggest either their PH1, which at 260 duration (but .250 lift) is the mildest and will give similar results to the OE cam, or their PH2 which is a 280 duration and is the limit for CD carbs IMO.

They will also grind the OE Mk2 cam or TR5/6 cam (same cost as advertised for standard range in my previous experience). Note that they recommend nitrided steel followers for all but the PH1. These are expensive but seem to work (30k on mine so far)

These expensive followers will likely be just fine. The other though need careful checking for finish and also that the faces are flat and not slightly crowned. The first set I was supplied were crowned ones….. they changed them (to the steel ones) without quibble though!

I have been looking into the catalogue they have for their cam profiles. I am slightly drawn to the ph1/ph2 cams, it's just having someone with the same setup to compare it too, I don't want to spend all this time and money to find I've produced a lemon:laugh:

I would rather pay a little extra for the nitrided followers, I just want zero issues with this engine for at least 30k so I'll opt for anything quality. 

I have been meaning to contact Chris about his cam, just to have a chat and to see if he is still doing flowed inlet manifolds.... I have my new one arriving next week that I will need to port out to suit my hs6's and it would be ideal to look into optimising flow. I have been looking through threads on here but always come up with conflicting information:starwars:

I'll be calling Newman in the week to get a quote. Then its just head work and deciding what C.R to run with this cam

• Like 1