new (and old?) scams, spams and phishing.

JohnD

Posted (edited)

Here's a new one, to me anyway:

New Message Notification - Vōice

image.png.3869316607d256eb8b4e46211429c7bd.png

Dear customer 

you have a new auto message 

Date: 16 June 2022 at 6/16/2022 02:05:36 p.m.

Duration :  00:00:26 

To Listen to this message, you can click below to have instant access to all your messages on the go.

Listen to Vōice Mail

To my shame, I clicked on the link.  My only excuse is that I get valid voice messages on my mobile.     And the desktop screen lit up red!  Saved by my firewall!

Should have known, the sender was one " FBurke1216@hotmail.com"  not Vodafone at all.   

John

PS Now I look at it, there's another give away.   The 'o' in Voice.   It has a 'macron', a bar over it, used in languages other than English to indicate a long 'o'.     Such alien symbols are used  by scammers to make their false links look valid.   My vigilance is slipping.  J.

Edited by JohnD

• 5 weeks later...

If this is a scam, it's a new one:

image.thumb.png.5f7321832ceeb76e80e8a1e79c861827.png

I think the dead give away is that no regisration No. is quoted.   I'm certain that would happen if this really was from the DVLA.  Plus the senders email.

Bin it.

John

I got one the other day telling me my Apple+ subscription had just expired and I needed to click on a link to renew.

Interesting that I do have Apple+ but cancelled it again a couple of months ago as I only pay when there is something specific I want to watch.

And then there are the calls to your mobile that get flagged up as 'potential fraud'. If the phone company knows then why are these numbers allowed to remain active?

And another new style scam/phishing

I got an email apparently from  an old friend.       It had his full name but the senders address was not his: s103507@student.uum.edu.my   Hmmmm, 'student', and that's a university in Malaysia!

Then, the message said: "Probably should have sent this invitation to you way earlier http://www.lozjs.nycekk. com/ "

It's rather obviously a scam, but how?    Has my friend a Trojan on his machine, stealing his address list?     Or do I, using mine to head false emails with friends names?      

If the second there would be more, surely?   My friend has scrubbed his machine and nothing was found.      Could his name and a connection to me have been picked up in Facebook?

Anyway, deleted now!

JOhn

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Am I the only one to get all this scamming?

The latest is most convincing. It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.e342832763d24b89e1e5c11138228d88.png

The "Beneficiary" has a correct address, but the website wants details that are not in the email, and the genuine Gov.co.uk website for that North Regional Fixed Penalty Office includes the warning that, "Scammers are mimicking genuine HMCTS phone numbers and email addresses. They may demand payment and claim to be from HMRC or enforcement. If you're unsure, do not pay anything and report the scam to Action Fraud."

Global Ingenico is a company that deals in electronic payments, bu has long been abused by scammers.

I have reported the email, and deleted the scamming message.

John

Edited by JohnD

• 2 weeks later...

New and global  scams continue to appear.   This one was headed "Order Update # 625022 "   That number rings a bell for me but I can't  recall or find what it means

It was allelegedly sent by "Royal Mail" but  my mailbox appends the senders address as "<royal.mail.service@ebiki.co.jp>"     www.ebiki.co is the name of a long established small firm that makes soy sauce and other condiments, in Japan, so I really, really don't think they will have the Post Office's contract for mail registration.

It looks like this:

image.png.f7b9176509c4327e27bd2f23bc8be58d.png

No, I haven't clicked on the number starting "JK", which is highlighted and is very obviously a hyperlink, to "http://estarbizadvisor.com/tblstatus/6/index.php?www.royalmail.services"   EStar Business Advisors are company Accountants in Singapore, whose probity is unknown, but again are unlikely to be contractors to the Post Office.

Binned, and suggest you do too!

Are these reports of any interest, or useful as warning?   Or are you all just  savvy to the scammers'?

John