The rebuild that goes one step foward two back!

michaeljf

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Sounds like a very good plan to me. Fitted the silicone gasket to rocker cover with a little dab of super glue and waiting for son to weld washer to sump.... then will have a go at getting the motor and car back together!! Guess who is getting just a little bit (well a bit more than that actually) excited! Have to "borrow a mate, his engine crane, van and my car is in his shed! When that is finished I will start on having some replacement axles made. Regards, Michael.

P5130270.JPG

P5110264.JPG

P5130269.JPG

On 5/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, PeteStupps said:

That's annoying but has reminded me to helicoil mine before I fit it! Had to do one hole in situ previously, might as well do the other one before it strips... 

Is it worth fitting a steel bridge piece that Jigsaw racing/le mans make?

Hello, The washer is to tie-wire the sump plug. The "Re-coil" inserts work well and the tension is only 11 NM. As can be seen very early in this thread (that long ago we have all forgotten) the bridge piece had to be modified for the Cooper S main bearing studs. And anyway it's all together now! Hopefully the motor is going for a ride to be re-aquainted with the car after lunch! Regards, Michael. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello all, Well we have had no internet or landline since the end of May till to-night ! Well a little bit of progress. Have had the motor in and out again and moving it and g/box back a "bit". looking at "adapting" a set of Holden Commodore axles/drive shafts to the Triumph rear end ! All work in progress. Also have just finished building a shed to store some of my "stuff" that I have to move from my nephews (about 70kms.away) Back soon. Regards, Michael.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Nick, Am still here but not as often as I was. Weather is not good but it is winter and not the big weather area. Have had a few other jobs that have jumped the queue?  Have been looking at the rear end problem and "thought" (ha) I might get that rolling while I was getting the motor/gearbox sorted, well am stuck on the rear end as I am doing most of it myself. Thought I was getting someone else to do most of that but.....well I needed something else to do (like I need another hole in my head) Took a couple of photo's of the Commodore rear end ( you fellows call them Opals). Regards, Michael.