The rebuild that goes one step foward two back!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Total rubbish! Hope you’ve emailed them demanding a refund! A negative attitude (you’ll have to send that back first) might tend to support the theory I’ve seen put forward that they send their c

Hello, Well I might be on the move (Foward I hope) again as my son has machined the pistons (photo). As can be seen from the first couple of photo's (in this post) how the bore ends up after a 77.5mm 

Hello, Rings are on pistons and pistons are on rods but now for the backwars steps, the bearings are wrong (county std. in King tri-metal box ) Thanks for some of Nicks detective work on that as the c

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, A little step back. Found one of the bolt holes in the cast alloy sealing block at front of block to be stripped AFTER fitting sump so a heli-coil  fitted in situ. Regards, Michael.

Hello, Sounds like a very good plan to me. Fitted the silicone gasket to rocker cover with a little dab of super glue and waiting for son to weld washer to sump.... then will have a go at getting the motor and car back together!! Guess who is getting just a little bit (well a bit more than that actually) excited! Have to "borrow a mate, his engine crane, van and my car is in his shed! When that is finished I will start on having some replacement axles made. Regards, Michael.

P5130270.JPG

P5110264.JPG

P5130269.JPG

On 5/11/2021 at 1:01 PM, PeteStupps said:

That's annoying but has reminded me to helicoil mine before I fit it! Had to do one hole in situ previously, might as well do the other one before it strips... 

Is it worth fitting a steel bridge piece that Jigsaw racing/le mans make?

1 hour ago, John I said:

Is it worth fitting a steel bridge piece that Jigsaw racing/le mans make?

Yeah maybe, although my alloy one seals OK and I've got a set of v-coil inserts so easy enough to sort while it's all in bits. 

Hello, The washer is to tie-wire the sump plug. The "Re-coil" inserts work well and the tension is only 11 NM. As can be seen very early in this thread (that long ago we have all forgotten) the bridge piece had to be modified for the Cooper S main bearing studs. And anyway it's all together now! Hopefully the motor is going for a ride to be re-aquainted with the car after lunch! Regards, Michael. 

• Like 1

Hello, motor is now sitting in front of the car and I have fitted the rear main seal and its housing (waiting for sealant to "go off" so I can tension it up) Then rear engine plate, Flywheel etc. then IN. Regards, Michael.   

Hello, ready to start connecting everything up..... when we get back from Winton Historic Races (leave tomorrow and get back Monday) 45 th. annual running. I go pit crew for a very rapid TR3A. Regards, Michael. 

P5190278.JPG

P5190279.JPG

Hello Nick, Thank you.  Looking forward to hearing it run but also looking forward to the races and meeting up with the other member of the pit crew, my brother with the re-arranged hand. Regards, Michael.