The rebuild that goes one step foward two back!

michaeljf

Wouldn't have thought you need a cooler on a hill-climber Hamish?  When Alan put the liquid/liquid one on his Vitesse it was intended as an oil heater!

Seriously contemplating a cooler for the Vitesse now...... wishing I hadn't binned the 'stat and fittings that came with the GT6 along with the oil radiator itself as they are expensive and entirely cleanable..... :wallbash:

Hello All

I have one fitted to Spitty(been on since I bought it) 

I find with normal driving it takes between 5 to 10miles for the oil to get to about the right temperature then it stays there and water and oil temperture gauges read near as damm it the same unless I get stuck in traffic and it is hot.

That is to be expected as there is no air flow over the oil cooler radiator(thought about a small fan wired with main water fan but decided that was a bit OTT!

I have fitted a small air deflector just in front of it and it does the job of keeping it just a shade less than the water temperature while moving (Spain in 3 weeks should give it a test again?

Plus I use Mobil 1 10w60 motorsport formula oil(to hell with the expense and it is cheap than rebuilding the engine and I can get it for about £45 for 5lts.

Mobil 1 10W-60 10 Litres 10L Car Engine Oil 10W60 + FREE 5L SCREEN WASH TAB | eBay

Roger

ps I run the lower of the 2 thermostats available.

5 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Wouldn't have thought you need a cooler on a hill-climber Hamish?  When Alan put the liquid/liquid one on his Vitesse it was intended as an oil heater!

I think you are right on event days. And I do get vapour sludge out of the catch tank but I’m happy that it’s doing it’s job removing air derived damp and not coolant. 
but road runs it can reach a good temp.

as you know I experimented with a modern jag oil to water heat exchanger and ideal for winter cooler spring weather.  

id be tempted to go to an oil stat I have to confess. It was discussed for the new engine. But as I say it was suggested but recommended to not have it.

Hello, The general feeling over here seems to be, Don't fit a cooler without one. Would not having one be a bit like having a radiator without a thermostat? Get it in the heat range as soon as possible and then keep it there.  I'm sure that I read an article on here about oil (by a Dr. Haas) which has a fair bit of relevence to this subject AND a VERY good read. Regards Michael.

IMG_3229.JPG

Hello, Have the carby's connected and started on the fuel lines and the radiator shrouds. Have to pause again as we are getting ready to go to Winton for the Austin Seven Club's 46 th annual Festival of Speed. Leave on Thursday and get back home on the following Monday evening. Regards, Michael. 

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Well the Winton non event is over (bit of a story elsewhere) and the Range Rovers (that means more than one) owner is also the owner of a Land Rover now!  Anyway back to my story. The radiator shroud is done thanks to my brother, the fuel line is in the process of being replaced (when I was in the process of altering the old one I found it to be completely blocked!!) and I drove the car there.(a while back..well quite a while) new line and am bending it to suit, also a bit on the air filter housing, fuel regulator, battery cables, every thing has to be modified because of changes. Change one thing and then it travels down the line ! Will leave the air filter/inner guard until I see "IF" the carbies look like working. Will put up a couple of photo's later. Regards, Michael. 

Hello, Re-positioned the fuel pressure regulator as I didn't like the kink put in the fuel line by the brake booster!, earth strap from motor to chassis. Had an inspection by the owner of the green TR3A and his wife's "new Land Rover" and I seemed to pass muster. Pictures coming (when my wife shows me how to load them on this new computer) Regards, Michael. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Well a bit more back and forward. Put some fuel in today and the fuel pump started leaking under gravity! (a gift from one son, think I should go for warranty ? ha, knew I put that push connector on it for a reason. ) so looks like a replacement needed. Finished most of the wiring and turned the key and the ign. light came on!  Regards, Michael.

Hello, Colin you are right, such a small thing but in the scheme of things a big thing. yes Nick I am creeping closer even with all the backward steps. Ordered a new fuel pump last night,and removed the offending one today. making a fitting and attaching the heater hoses ( should have done that BEFORE I put the manifolds on!) Oh and the fuel gauge float failed to when I put the fuel in! ( may be stuck to the bottom of the tank ha.) Regards, Michael.

Hello all, Well hope all the distractions are over for the present. The new fuel pump has been set up and will be on the car later today followed by a test and then set fuel pressure. Fit and set distributor then....then maybe...surely must have forgotten something! Regards, Michael.

Hello, thanks for the reminder about the oil Nick. Have done that (made a shaft up to turn the oil pump, with the distributer out, and got over 70 psi on the gauge). Fixing up other odds and ends, and looking for a Friday morning attempt as we have a couple of interested parties to be present.  A photo from this afternoon. Regards, Michael.

IMG_3258.JPG