On 4/13/2021 at 9:01 PM, thebrookster said:

additive normally used to stop aviation jet fuel from freezing! 

Phil, why arent the jet engines also coated in white powder ? A quick search suggests the fuel de-icer is a glycol, and should burn cleanly Peter

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aside from the pump, we took some bunkers whilst waiting between loadings. And the analysis of these came back atrocious (technically within spec!!). Basically full of cat fines, which do nasty things

Well, decided to take you advice gentlemen, and am remaining onboard  Or in reality, I should have signed off tomorrow, however news this morning is that Singapore Authorities didn't grant permiss

Well, another few interesting days (well, actually a few days back, but internet has been as reliable as usual). Back at the end of April I had the Fresh Water Generator open for cleaning, and al

Posted Images

On 4/26/2021 at 1:00 PM, PeterC said:

Phil, why arent the jet engines also coated in white powder ? A quick search suggests the fuel de-icer is a glycol, and should burn cleanly Peter

Peter, out of my area of expertise I'm afraid. I do recall some discussion though regarding water content, which is some way linked? Essentially we can tolerate some water in our fuel (bloody hope so, I drain litres of it out the tanks on a daily basis!!) whereas the aviation fuel has zero water.

I may have misunderstood that though, I was earwigging at the time.

Phil

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, Nick Jones said:

What’s the Covid situation on board Phil? Trust you are well?!

Improving, we think Nick?

Today is in theory the last day of official quarantine for those with negative tests, and we seem to have been fortunate that we only had the two positive tests. It looks like pure luck we caught the messman's case at the earliest opportunity and onboard measures were sufficient to contain it.

Bizarrely however, office have said we don't need a final test to close out the quarantine? We are scratching our heads on this, but hey ho.

Of greater concern right now is crew reliefs again. Basically this Indian outbreak is causing manning some serious headaches, and we have been warned that contracts may overrun again this year..........

Phil

Edited by thebrookster

Well done, Phil!    Shows the efficacy of social distancing, lockdown etc. properly executed.  Might be compared wiith other vessels with small crews, like, say, New Zealand.

Edited by JohnD

Whilst you don't need a test to close out the quarantine period Phil, I would have thought it prudent.

In our house we now have quite a collection of boxes of Rapid Antigen Tests which are almost forced on people as they walk past tour local test centres - almost as bad as chuggers!

On the same theme, we have reached the final chapter on my wife's attempt to become a volunteer vaccinator. She has given up. About 6 weeks a go she attended a day being successfully physically trained in vaccination techniques / etiquette. Two weeks later she had still heard nothing about deployment. She sent almost 30 emails to anyone she had had contact with since she started the process last November, asking how she could now offer her services / ascertain when opportunities arose. Not a single acknowledgement. Not a single reply. So all the effort over the past 5 months s seems to have been a massive waste of time.

Miles

23 hours ago, MilesA said:

On the same theme, we have reached the final chapter on my wife's attempt to become a volunteer vaccinator. She has given up. About 6 weeks a go she attended a day being successfully physically trained in vaccination techniques / etiquette. Two weeks later she had still heard nothing about deployment. She sent almost 30 emails to anyone she had had contact with since she started the process last November, asking how she could now offer her services / ascertain when opportunities arose. Not a single acknowledgement. Not a single reply. So all the effort over the past 5 months s seems to have been a massive waste of time.

Miles

Depressing, frustrating, stupid and just plain bad manners.

Has she tried giving Boris a call? Apparently that seems to work.

• Like 1
On 4/28/2021 at 10:55 AM, MilesA said:

Not a single acknowledgement. Not a single reply. So all the effort over the past 5 months s seems to have been a massive waste of time.

I’m horrified. In these parts you’d contact the local surgeries who’ve someone coordinating volunteers from vaccinators to mixers to admin to marshalls. 

Miles, I so sorry that such a well qualified vaccinator as yr wife has been given such a run around.     It has been so easy for me - I was even reinstated as a doctor by the GMC, merely to help my managers avoid some beurocracy!    And, the Medical Defence Union (my old malpractice insurers) said I was covered, even though the work is covered by Crown Privilege!  

Your local organisers are a real bunch of ouankeres!

John

Edited by JohnD
10 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Has she tried giving Boris a call?

Yeah, but don't forget, this isn't about what De Piffle can do for you.... ultimately it's about what you can do for De Piffle.....

(Even his name is a lie)