When leaders don't

GT6MK3

Out of interest and in no defence of Paterson.

He had been on the payroll of a number of Agricultural businesses since before 2012.

In that year he was commended twiceby parliament for his vigilance in securing that contaminated beef etc (with excessive antibiotics) didn't find its way to market plus another significant issue that I haven't a clue about.

He continued on his way doing the same paid job year on year until early this year.

So the useless rules were in place since the world began with no interest in right or wrong.

But surely the present rules are seriously wrong - and the opposition party know this and are making merry with every word that the Gov't utter

Roger

Nick for President!

Zetec, your examaples are in local government.   I said Parliamentary, so come on, show and tell!    I'm glad you admit that Paterson was guilty as hell, at least you aren't all bad.

But lets ask ourselves, why would a business pay an MP £100,000 a year?    What did they hope to get back in return for the equivalent of three nurses salary?   A voice in Parliament?     The MP who represented their area (not Paterson) should do that, that's what they are paid for.   Presumably that MP was not so compliant, didn't have so many cronies or the ear of the PM.    

John

5 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Nick for President!

Zetec, your examaples are in local government.   I said Parliamentary, so come on, show and tell!    I'm glad you admit that Paterson was guilty as hell, at least you aren't all bad.

But lets ask ourselves, why would a business pay an MP £100,000 a year?    What did they hope to get back in return for the equivalent of three nurses salary?   A voice in Parliament?     The MP who represented their area (not Paterson) should do that, that's what they are paid for.   Presumably that MP was not so compliant, didn't have so many cronies or the ear of the PM.    

John

Yep, you are naive. 

It is far less about what they are paid and is declared. It is more about the bigger picture. Once they lave left parliament. And the contracts to family/friends etc

I did mention old 2 jags. And Mcclusky was running Corbyn. Off you go and do some simple digging, you may then have a more balanced view. At the moment it is rather lopsided.

And you obviously don't know me at all! 

41 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Nick for President!

Fat chance……. And probably just as well, there’d be a lot of heads on pikes…..

As stated, I’m not being party specific about the overall background of endemic corruption. But the current lot are positively flaunting it and bring the extreme need for change into sharp focus. Light needs to be shone into the dark places.  If this drives the grifters out of “public service”, so much the better. The best constituency MPs work for their constituents, not themselves or big business - and there are still some left.

As for the need for real change in the system, I’m not optimistic. It requires the pigs to vote for less in their trough…. And pigs are smarter than turkeys.

Yes, we have Caroline Lucas as the brighton mp. I don't agree with all (many?) of her policies,  but she works damn hard for the local constituents. 

Could she lead the country? Nope. Too many ideals,  not pragmatic enough. I get the feeling she is a bit fed up with her own party, too many have got their heads past their own sphincters.

I used to say anybody who puts themselves up for election shouldn't  be allowed to. Maybe we ought to appoint beaurocrats to run the country. Though in reality they largely do anyway.  The optical masters will only carries so much weight. 90% of stuff they don't touch.

Most politicians are as slippery as an eel and I wouldn’t trust what they say. As you say Nick there are a few who are there for their constituents but not many.

Most seem to be more focused on what connections they can make for progress after their time in politics and how much that will fill their coffers. The last couple of prominent leaders Cameron and Blair seem to be doing ok, thank you very much!

Sleaze/corruption call it what you want has been around all the big parties, take the Liberal Gladstone’s term he got a peerage for one of his best friends Lord Acton circa late 1860’s. Irony being what it is in 1887 said Lord Acton wrote in correspondence “power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely”

Nothing really changes!

i think the beast called social media makes it so easy for the man on the street to be presented with details of the “sleaze” (once discovered) far quicker than 30-40 years ago. Distribution of information is so much quicker so it appears harder to bury.

How we change the system of choosing those we want to run the country that’s another ball game. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/22/its-time-for-christmas-drinks-in-the-offices-of-the-minister-for-other-people-taking-personal-responsibility

Another belter from First Dog on The Moon. I particularly liked the term

”omnicidal kleptocracy”

seems to capture the spirit of the UK administration perfectly. Apparently Australians feel the same about their administration …….

• 3 weeks later...

While it is depressing that the political leader of the UK cannot tell a party from a working group, and thinks that saying "I'm sorry, but ..." is sufficient, an announcment that reveals far more about that leader's administration has been overshadowed by the furore at Westminster.      In the High Court of the UK on Wednesday the 11th,  Mrs Justice Finola O’Farrell ruled that the "VIP lane" that promoted the friends and associates of Government members who were offering supplies of PPE equipment in 2020 was “in breach of the obligation of equal treatment . . . the illegality is marked by this judgment”.

The system chosen by the Tory Government to award enormous sums of money, our money, to those suppliers, was not just preferment and favouritism, or even forced by the urgency of the situation, it was illegal.    The Tories - not just the Tories, but the highest group of Tories in the land, the Cabinet, whose Chair is the Prime Minister,  broke the Law.   That is grounds for resignation, not a few minutes spent in an unlawful drinks party. 

John

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

That is grounds for resignation, not a few minutes spent in an unlawful drinks party. 

Indeed. Except it seems that we don’t have sufficient written rules on the subject, and where we do, the henhouse keys are with the fox…..And the fox (or the Boil as I prefer to call him) has absolutely no morals or principles at all.

That there are not already 54 letters of no confidence on the desk of the 1922 committee chairman is a sorry reflection on the morals of the wider Tory picnic. 

My favourite quote seen today “can’t even recognise a piss-up on a brewery”.

Am I alone seriously doubting anyone in his immediate family tested positive for C19? He just wants to lay low. Cowardice being another of his “virtues”.

Meanwhile, The Boil has become extremely ripe and must surely be lanced soon, if it doesn’t burst first…

Not that I have much regard for any of his likely successors. Whom we have absolutely no say in the selection of. Democracy? Not really….. :mad:

Edit:

I just read that the “right honourable member” (what a joke!) for North Somerset, the Nanny’s boy with Victorian leanings, is now attacking Douglas Ross, basically for failing to put blind loyalty to a lowlife who really doesn’t deserve it before personal principles and honour.  How low we are brought on this Septic Isle.

• 3 weeks later...

So we all know that our “prime minister” (how low he drags the office) is a barefaced liar. 

It therefore seems a pity that he can lie with complete impunity in the House of Commons where arcane rules mean those bold enough (or exasperated enough) to speak the clear truth and name him as the liar he surely is, are kicked out.

Boils my piss!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2022/jan/31/ian-blackford-told-to-leave-commons-saying-johnson-lied-video

Also, it’s rare for me to find myself in agreement with Teresa May….. however, more common recently as she clearly has no great liking for the Boil on the nose of the Tory party either

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2022/jan/31/theresa-may-challenges-boris-johnson-gray-report-video

28 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

highly vexatious and a stain on our nation

It is that.  I've just written a fairly pointed letter to my MP.  The third in 10 days.  I'm trying to piss him off enough to write "the letter".  He's a brexit-loving tory who hasn't proved very useful as a constituency MP, so entirely fair game!

I don't suppose he reads them, but the volume ought to count for something and writing them makes me feel better.

In this respect it is unfortunate that my MP is a member of the Labour Party.  I am thus robbed of the  satisfaction in writing her a letter demanding the resignation of the prime minister.   Because given the tiniest opportunity that is what she will do, anyway.

Hey, ho.  Life is like that.

5 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Because given the tiniest opportunity that is what she will do, anyway.

I dunno….. they might consider that him blundering around upsetting people and breaking things for a couple more years helps their chances. They may have a point, but I’m of the opinion that the country shouldn’t have to suffer that much!

It annoys me that the media place so much emphasis on The Leader, and their personality, when policies are far more important.   Obviously the first affects the second, but that disappears in pseudo-analysis and a personality cult.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 1:32 PM, Nick Jones said:

the “right honourable member” (what a joke!) for North Somerset, the Nanny’s boy with Victorian leanings, is now attacking Douglas Ross, basically for failing to put blind loyalty to a lowlife who really doesn’t deserve it before personal principles and honour.  How low we are brought on this Septic Isle.

As a promotion for his faithful brown-nosing, Jakey boy has been promoted to "Minister for Brexit opportunities and government efficiency".

Wow, the Boil must REALLY hate him.  That is a chalice of extreme toxicity.......  If it were almost anyone else, I might even feel sorry for them, but I have no problem making an exception in his case.

As for finding the opportunities arising from Brexit (ones that actually benefit the British nation, not just his few rich mates and bunch of foreign oligarchs with stolen loot to launder), I'd say he has a real problem.  Looks like he recognises this as he's actually asking Sun readers to make suggestions....... :ohmy:  I mean, Sun readers?  Desperate or what.....  I could put in a link to the Sun article..... but it's more recycled spin, bullshit, and outright lies, so I'm not going to.

I was provoked into writing him a short email.  I suggested what of the biggest opportunities left by hard Brexit was the one to rejoin the single market, which would solve quite a few of the bigger problems in one fell swoop.  

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Dream on, Nick! As if they'd have us back!

Oh, they would, in the single market anyway.  Once the current bunch of stupid and unpleasant children playing at government have been sent away.  Who in their right mind would do a deal with them?

But it's impossible for the current administration or probably the general Tory picnic due to the loss of "face".  It's disappointing that Labour still appear terrified of the idea - I really don't get why.

I believe that if we did ask (politely) to be let back into the squalid club that is the EU we would not have the same rights and benefits that we had before leaving.

The only benefit would be the opening of the borders.  Big deal.

Sadly it does not matter who is elected into our or any Gov't - they all tend to degenerate into a bucket of shit.

There is no money in it for them by being honest and truly representing the nations people - whoever or wherever they are.

It is a bit like traffic lights. When they are not getting involved (broken) the traffic tends to flow freely with little queuing. 

When they get involved there are queues or GREEN with no traffic or RED with no traffic against the flow. 

But they do show who is boss.

Roger

• Like 1