When leaders don't

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/23/south-african-covid-19-variant-may-be-more-effective-at-spreading

Indeed, there is some commonality between the new UK and the SA versions, but they are different. Worryingly there is an implication the SA may be more resistant to the current crop of vaccines. Looks like the biotech companies won't be taking a break over Christmas.....

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The latest offering from BrewDog: https://www.brewdog.com/uk/barnard-castle-eye-test-12 (NB: All profits will go to funding our production of free sanitiser for the NHS & Health Care Cha

Is it too soon to say "good riddance" to the tangerine twat? Possibly not seeing as his "buddy" Murdoch seems to have deserted him (there's another one needs smearing with honey and staking to a 

I should say! I fear that even with Biden winning, the closeness of it all means that America has failed it's collective IQ test in my view.  First time around - fair enough - I understand you co

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In my parish councillor role I was sent a copy a letter written by the right honourable (was there ever a more misleading description of most MPs?) Luke Hall, Minister of State for Regional Growth and Local Government, who had obviously been selected by higher powers as the fall guy for another of their shitty decisions.

For a bit over a year now, various public bodies including county, district, town and parish councils have had a special dispensation to allow remote meeting via Zoom, Teams or whatever their virtual meeting software of choice is.  How 21st century, how sensible.  However, apparently, legislatively this is apparently a "big deal" and cannot be allowed to continue.  This mainly because it was only temporary legislation and it expires on the 6th of May.  To renew it apparently requires parliament time which is evidently far too valuable to waste on such trivial matters...... or maybe the government prefers to avoid poking their rather large lock-down sceptic wing.  But its ok.... the vaccination program is going so well that you'll all be perfectly safe and the government roadmap says you can meet indoors from the 17th of May anyway......  Oh.  Wait.  But that's more than halfway through the month.... and lots of councils have elections in May and all councils have to have their AGM in May......  No worries.  The gov't roadmap says it will be fine..... we've got lots of evidence about the excellence of their judgement haven't we..... crack on.  Just make sure you abide by all the government guidelines about social distancing... and ventilation...... and cleaning chairs and door handles...... and providing remote access facilities for any member of the public sensible enough not to want to attend in person......

Don't have a room/building suitable.  Not our problem.  Crack-on, deal with it.  

This doesn't apply to MPs though - they can do the remote stuff until late in June.  So that's ok.  Just the local democracy scum affected.  Too many of them anyway....

I've written to Mr Hall and copied my local MP.  Didn't mince my words.  Waste of time probably - I don't suppose either reads their mail.

The local government world is pretty pissed off at Westminster arrogance, not least because it's very obviously an entirely political decision and demonstrates their disdain for all levels of local government very clearly.  Hopefully there might be a U turn forced.

We don't have an election this year so will be holding our AGM early, while virtual meetings are still permitted.  After that..... I dunno.  Our usual meeting room certainly isn't big enough.  That leaves the church (think there might be a rule against that) or leaving the parish.

Senior gov't clearly thinks it's all going away over the summer.  They may be right - but carrying on the way they are I'm damn sure it's coming back and if (when) one of the nastier variants gets a hold, the third wave might be the biggest yet.

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

India (incredibly) still not on the red list for travel....

......so.......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/15/covid-variant-first-detected-india-found-uk

Asians in general prefer not to sunbathe as it darkens the skin, and so do not benefit from a rise in D3 during summer in UK. My expectation is this variant will spread manifestly in Asian communites, and covertly in sun-seeking Caucasians ( who also respond better to D3 than Asians). Come winter everyone will be vulnerable, and only then will the efficacy -or not -of the vaccines become apparent in the UK population.

The design, testing, manufacture of a new vaccine to cover next winter's new variants would have to be started now. Each new variant would need to be challenge-tested ( delibrately infecting volunteers) to minimise delays in devising a new vaccine, but I have not heard of that being instigated. As we stand it seems to me that vaccination runs the risk of fighting yesterday's war.

Fortunately India has  very low vaccination rates and do not use AZ or Pfizer, so evolutionary pressure to circumvent our vaccines will not be present. We might be lucky. Or we might not.

Peter

Scary article.

Brazil is interesting as the mean serum 25(OH)D, if it resembles Colombia, is around 80 nmol/L ( UK is 50 and only reaches 70 in summer sun). We suspect Amerindians may have less sensitvity to D3 in thie immune cells, possibly VDR mutations. They might be less responsive than even Asians: IIRC their common evolution diverged 20,000 years ago. Lack of data hampers interpretation. For Caucasians with good D3 this variant might not prove so dangerous. But, since D3 is not recognised in UK, the key question is: does the present vaccine work in us against the Brazil variant, and is there more than one.

I sent a letter to Grauniad a week ago. Not published, no reply. The media silence on D3 is deafening.

Peter

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Coincidentally, I circulated this to some of the vocal doubters in the ex-pat community here this morning.  The key phrase is “Last week, the Brazilian Association of Intensive Care Medicine said that for the first time, most Covid patients in ICU were under 40”

Their third wave is explosive, thanks, in no small measure, to the imbecile Bolsonaro.

Paul

We in the west can thank Balsaneuro for conducting that experiment on his people. And showing what the virus is capable of. For many this is their second infection.

Today their High Court exonerated a past President of his corruption crimes so that he can contest the presidential election. Balsaneuro may not be a free man much longer. Good riddance.

Peter

2 hours ago, PeterC said:

Balsaneuro may not be a free man much longer. Good riddance.

If there were any justice..... Bolsonaro would die horribly after catching a mutated variant of the virus he denies..... The devil takes care of his own.....

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking line from Amit Chaudhuri in the Guardian today.  He’s talking about India but..... seems more widely applicable!

“there are hardly any leaders in India – there are mostly politicians, and some politicians are more empty, cowardly and shockingly apathetic than others.”

• 4 weeks later...

It’s not only leaders/politicians that “Don’t”

Bl**dy developer has been pushing for completion on mum and dad house for today. So we being accommodating peeps pushed to help!

Lunchtime today no news from solicitor re completion, rang developer to be informed can no do will have to delay........:growl: arse h*le!