When leaders don't

GT6MK3

Having just signed a change.org petition for the removal of de piffle (which likely won't go anywhere, but might as well sign for the sake of a mouse click), beware, they now take your mouse click as the signature.

Before you clicked to page then pressed a button to sign, now the page comes and asks you for a donation. It is signed already!

Almost a post for John's scam thread, but thought I would mention it here in case anyone might be caught out unawares.

• 2 weeks later...

The Westminster "soap opera" continues.  Though, truly, you couldn't make it up.

In an actual democratic nation with rules, and constitution, and a head of state worth the name in practical terms, the prime minister would have been fired and a general election called some time ago.

Meanwhile, here on the Septic Isle, the tory MPs continue to avert their eyes from the the writing writ large on the wall, though one suspects that even the thickest of them (and that is pretty thick) may be beginning to get an inkling that the jig is up.

I really don't quite get what they think they gain from letting Johnson blunder on, trashing the party rep, trashing their personal reps, trashing the UKs rep and trashing the UK itself.  Appreciate that the "talent" pool that they have to choose a new leader from is very shallow and murky, but really I struggle to see how they could pick worse than what they have.  Worse that is for the tory party - they could certainly pick someone worse for the country.

Meanwhile we have the local elections.  Round here we have the orangey signs of the Lib Dems and (fewer) blue signs of the SelfServatives.  Frankly, I can't help wondering if those allowing the blue signs on their property have been paying attention.......

Certainly if I only had the choice of voting blue or for a chicken, I'd vote for the chicken.  It might not do much good, but it would certainly do less harm.  Luckily I reckon we can do better than a chicken in this area.

Johnson, and all the double-thinking Tory MPs, should watch this, published by that same Tory  government, under his 'leadership', and promoting the message;

"STAY HOME: PROTECT THE NHS: SAVE LIVES"

John

Edited by JohnD

On 4/24/2022 at 11:57 AM, Nick Jones said:

In an actual democratic nation with rules, and constitution, and a head of state worth the name in practical terms, the prime minister would have been fired and a general election called some time ago.

Sad to say that the evidence would tend to disagree, most countries have a written constitution democratic ones included but that doesn't stop this sort of shennaigans. Look at Hungary under Orban or US under Trump. I would suggest that the most important things are a strong opposition and a politically intelligent electorate.

3 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

I almost miss the days when you could have an argument with the lad (it always seemed to be a bloke) trying to sell copies of the Morning Star outside the University Reading Room. Almost...

My first year, I used to commute via the most bowler-hatted, briefcase and striped-trouser wearing line there is.     And I discovered that I could get a student subscription to the Morning Star - it may have been free, funded no doubt by the USSR!   So I carried this Banner of the Revolution onto the 07.55 every morning.     O, the rebel joys of youth!

But "drain the swamp"?   Those words are familiar!  Now, where have I heard them, recently?  Oh, yes:

As always, that sort of thing leads to right wing dictatorship, as so nearly happened in the US.   Shal we say instead, "Raise the level".

Edited by JohnD

6 minutes ago, JohnD said:

My first year, I used to commute via the most bowler-hatted, briefcase and striped-trouser wearing line there is.     And I discovered that I could get a student subscription to the Morning Star - it may have been free, funded no doubt by the USSR!   So I carried this Banner of the Revolution onto the 07.55 every morning.     O, the rebel joys of youth!

Brilliant :laugh:

interesting article in the Guardian the other day.
I love the quote from Rees Mogg :( really sums up the Brexit mess....

" Enforcing post-Brexit checks, said the minister, “would have been an act of self-harm”."
So that was the whole Tory reason for Brexit, restoring our border controls.....now they admit it will cost millions....
so very very sad at what Boris has done to this country.
In case you haven't seen it the article here

Yes, I saw it.

Our very own minister for “brexit opportunity” effectively admitting there is none.

Boils my piss. Obvious to anyone with half a brain right from the outset. 

The act of leaving the single market was and remains utter lunacy.

• 4 weeks later...

The unedifying saga rumbles on. Alexander the Unflushable remains….. unflushable.  Tory party in dire need of a good plumber (or actually just some morals and spine).

Changing the rules and allegedly  editing one’s own (not very) independent report, apparently with impunity demonstrates rather graphically how badly Britain needs more than the presumed high moral standards of those in office to keep those in power under control.

He’ll be declaring himself emperor for life before we know it….

The Gray Report could not be more damning, when it was the Prime Minister's office staff and premises that were in question.   To avoid any bias, you may read it yourself at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1078404/2022-05-25_FINAL_FINDINGS_OF_SECOND_PERMANENT_SECRETARY_INTO_ALLEGED_GATHERINGS.pdf

It includes many of the remarkable photographs of Johnson taking part, orating, toasting and generally partying.   The emails quoted are equally remarkable and damning, from Martin Reynolds'  "Best of luck, a complete non story but better than them focusing on our drinks (which we seem to have got away with)."  (Reynolds is Principal Private Secretary to the Prime Minister, and AKA "Party Marty")  to the many references to "Wine Time" Fridays, eg "Looking forward to a chilled WTF next week" (anonymised staffer).

Ms.Gray's conclusions include:

"... what took place at many of these gatherings ... was not in line with Covid guidance at the time.    ... a large number of individuals who attended these events breached Covid regulations and therefore Covid guidance."

"Many will be dismayed that behaviour of this kind took place on this scale at the heart of Government. The public have a right to expect the very highest standards of behaviour in such places and clearly what happened fell well short of this."

and, most damningly:

" ... failures of leadership and judgment in No 10 and the Cabinet Office. The events that I investigated were attended by leaders in government. Many of these events should not have been allowed to happen. ... The senior leadership at the centre, both political and official, must bear responsibility for this culture."

But of course, they will not.    Johnson has already re-written The Ministerial Code of Conduct to remove the requirement that he should behave with integrity, objectivity, accountability, transparency, and honesty, and is gearing up the PR to distract attention and divert criticism by suggesting a return to Imperial measures as a 'Brexit bonus'.    

The gods help us all.

John

Yeah.... I read it.  It didn't help my blood pressure at all.

It depresses me and infuriates me in equal measure that this appalling and unprecedented behaviour has resulted in.....

.......very little meaningful action.  I suppose, if I were trying to put a positive spin on it, it perhaps makes the already severe damage to the Tory party worse, perhaps to the point where they are ultimately subject to a total rout at the next election that will take them a very long time to recover from, maybe even allowing some meaningful and ever-so-badly-needed reforms to the system to be made (Hah - raving optimist!).....

Meanwhile though the Unflushable one and his unspeakable toadies continue to trash, pillage and divide our nation with impunity.  I never thought I'd look back on Theresa May or Call-Me-Dave, or even Tony B Liar as PM in a positive way..... and yet........

He is very scary, the Gray report was watered down, she was lent on, and why did the Met fine him for just one party when there are pictures of him at other events? Its the behaviour of a dictator. 

Amazing how much money they have suddenly found to make people forget about party  gate....
and now the return to Imperial measurements, sold as another Brexit bonus, have any Tory ever done  a real job. 

deeply depressed by the state of this country and the inability to do anything about it...

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

"Cry Wilkes, Liberty, and Number 45!!

The National Archive may not be usually considered as a cell of radicalism, but the latest publicity email from them may make them seem a nest of vipers to our Dishonourable Government!    It recalls the story of John Wilkes, the 18th century journalist, whose reincarnation Ian Hislop may be for the many ways that he has spoken truth to power, and thereby given offence and been prosecuted. 

It's worth reading!   See: The scandalous case of The North Briton number 45 - The National Archives blog

John

John. Wonderful. I don't know how you find this stuff.

I find the historical link between the Tories and Scots Jacobites amusing. Social/liberal as I am leaning the clan system they supported has and had no place in a modern liberal society although the final suppression by 'Butcher' Cumberland was somewhat brutal.

It took 250 years and Thatcher to mortally wound that link with a blunt knife and Cameron/Lard Boy to deliver the coup-de-grace.

One does sometimes wonder if Boris would make even the 18th C leaders blush at least a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Could it finally be that Miss Pimplepopper is on her way to 10 Downing street to lance the biggest and nastiest boil of her career…..

The Unflushable to be washed away with a large bucket of disinfectant……

The pool of replacement candidates is particularly foetid though….

Are we all up S**t Creek with out a paddle now/

I would not trust any of them of any colour!

Still 2 months without a government of any sort is just what we need now with covid on the rise and Putin want to kill us all plus all the rest!

Still it can only get better (He lied to himself!)

Roger

Seems we are going to get to discover what happens when a man with no honour or principles at all decides to to cling on at all costs…..

Perhaps the best we can hope for is that it will be gruesome enough to force real change (yes, I know, dream on…)

2 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Seems we are going to get to discover what happens when a man with no honour or principles at all decides to to cling on at all costs…..

Perhaps the best we can hope for is that it will be gruesome enough to force real change (yes, I know, dream on…)

Yup...

Where is Cromwell when you might just about want to have him around (for a very short time)

• Like 1