Re-wiring TR6

PaulAA

It is done.

I've not taken the TR out for a run yet (the axles stand and missing rear left wheel, awaiting the replacement brake slave cylinder are a slight obstacle to that endeavour), but the engine starts, runs and stops as intended, lights of various persuasion function and still nothing has combusted spontaneously.

So, a word of thanks for the advice and encouragement. I may not win any awards for under-dash elegance, but nothing is hanging out and, remarkably, I haven't finished the job with any unaccounted extra cables. I am astonished.

I bought the harness from Autosparks and they were swift and efficient, but the aftersales technical advice was (as our dear Amercian cousins would phrase it) pants. They even sent me the wrong wiring diagram to explain how the coil supply was partially ballasted. Or not. Maybe.

I hope, one day, to have the courage to leave the battery connected.

:banana:Congratulations!

And well done :goodjob:

2 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

I hope, one day, to have the courage to leave the battery connected.

Yeah…. Or fit one of those quick disconnect terminals. No bad thing to be in the habit of disconnecting on an “occasional use” car.

• Like 2

The yellow warning sign at the end of the clip, with the daintily prancing little bambi, is a gross misrepresentation. The real danger in this forest (the Kampinos) is the half-tonne of extreme stupidity known as the elk.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is proposing changes to elk tags for  out-of-state hunters | Wyoming Public Media

Or the two plus tons of extreme stupidity that is known as an "SUV".   The Elk Test is a thing!

Well done on the rewiring test, Paul.    When DPO's, faded colour codes and bullet connectors are against you, who isn't paranoid!

John

Best be prepared with some spare if the worst happens!

Magic Smoke - Automobile Humor and Interest - Antique Automobile Club of  America - Discussion Forums

I bought a new Autosparks loom when we rebuilt the car in 2010/11. One of the best decisions made and I am sure you will not regret it either. Worth keeping the old loom as a source of original colour coded wire which can be in as-new condition when buried in the loom.

Ian 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JohnD said:

Or the two plus tons of extreme stupidity that is known as an "SUV".   The Elk Test is a thing!

Well done on the rewiring test, Paul.    When DPO's, faded colour codes and bullet connectors are against you, who isn't paranoid!

John

That's an astonishing film, John. The Boss had a small Jeep a few years ago and it was not a joyous thing, especially with an underpowered 2litre mated to a rubber band CVT transmission. We drove it to Croatia in the first summer of ownership and on one occasion, I have to reverse it up a steep road, because there was insufficient traction in the forward gear band.

That Jeep test is rather scarey, especially having driven one around Canada, where the elk roam. The tyre bursting is just unacceptable.

51 minutes ago, PaulAA said:

I have to reverse it up a steep road, because there was insufficient traction in the forward gear band.

This used to be a thing with small pre-war cars like Austin 7. On really steep hills it was expected that you would use reverse because it was significantly lower that 1st.

I also once had to employ the technique with my old Mk4 Spitfire to get out of a steeply sloped car park in deep snow, helped by my then girlfriend sitting on the bootlid. That was more about traction rather than gear ratios though, basically using it as 'front wheel drive'.

1 hour ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

The tyre bursting is just unacceptable.

Tyres are coming off the rim. Equally unacceptable. Seems to be the nasty, hopping, porpoising movement that does it. Apparently caused by under-damping.  Vehicle almost seems more stable after the tyre deflates!

On 6/19/2023 at 9:48 PM, JohnD said:

John

Interesting!

Thanks John.

My best mate was about to drop a lot of money on one of these.  I sent him this link Wednesday, and he rang back, laughed and said he's never seen a moose in Australia.  I countered with "I've seen a lot of Roos."

Today he rang and said he's decided to buy a Ford Everest instead...

• Like 1

You-all may recall the furore twenty years ago when Mercedes' first 'compact car' the A-class failed the Elk Test.    They were vastly surprised, but came up with ESP (Electronic Stability Program), technology that is now standard on all cars, and cured the problem!

Cars are safer today, thanks to Mercedes-Benz's infamous elk test | CarSifu

It's remarkable, after all that time, that Jeep (Chrysler) haven't!

John

9 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

I countered with "I've seen a lot of Roos.

I suppose the average roo is small enough to just now down…. Unlike your average moose/elk. But still….

9 hours ago, GT6MK3 said:

he's decided to buy a Ford Everest instead...

My first (cynical) thought was to wonder whether the Everest/Ranger is any better, but a little research suggests that they are.

3 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

My first (cynical) thought was to wonder whether the Everest/Ranger is any better

I would love to assist with the answer to this one, being a Ranger owner, but alas Scotland is generally missing not only moose/elk, but suffers a general shortage of Roo's as well.

Ahh well, possibly a good thing for the safety of my long suffering truck :whistling:

A Roo strike may not be trivial:

Do kangaroos attack cars? - Quora

And the Elk Test is a media name for a standard test of stability in sudden manoeuvres, which anything could make necessary.   I had to brake suddenly for a very stupid pigeon this morning!

John