Small Triumph tyre recommendations

Hi All,

I need to replace the 20 year old tyres that sit on my long term GT6 rebuild (hopefully it will be back on the road this year... or next...... or........).

I used to use 185/60R13 size, and this worked fine, sat nicely on the road, looked good in the wheelarches and gave more than enough grip (chassis fractures at the bottom wishbone mount to prove!).

So what do people recommend, I really want a 'track-day' type tyre, not worried about mileage, but the car will be used mostly on the road (dry weather if I'm lucky).

>>   175/70R13 or 185/60R13?

>>   Which make (there seems to be a lot more choice for the 175's)?

Thanks....

The first figure in a tyre designation is the tread width in mm, so 175mm=6.9",  185mm=7.3"

And the "J" designation on wheels 5J/6J etc is the width across the rims, in inches.

Original GT6 rims were 4.5J, so your 7 inch tread is balancing on a 4.5inch rim, and it will move about, a lot, so that road traction is impaired.    Think of a section of the tyre and rim.     Your rims should match the tread, but beyond 6J, they won't fit, either the uprights or the wheel arch.

The OE setup on the GT6 was 4.5J and 155 treads - on a crossply, of course, but that's not relevant to this discussion.     If you want to go to 185s, try to find a set of 5 or 6J wheels.  You may need spacers under them, unless you can find them with exactly the right offset.

Your OP contradicts, as you want "track-day" tyre, to use on the road.   The first opens up a whole new range of tyres with softer tread, that won't give you as much mileage as a road tyre, but enormously more traction.      BUt if you want the look of trackdays, then Toyo or Yokohama make race and road tyres, some of the latter even being road legal!  So do Dunlop, of course, but unless you know tyres, they don't have the same bling!

JOhn

Edited by JohnD

Thanks John, I should have put in the original post that I'm running 5.5J Revolution rims, so no problem with using the wider tyres

- I'm not into the current trend of using the widest rims with narrow tyres.  Bloody VW drivers!!!!

I've seen the Toyo and Yokohama tyres and thought that might be the way to go. Not seen any Dunlops, I'll have another look; you're right they don't have the kudos with the 'yoof', but make some great old car racing tyres.

- and yes, my original post was contradictory, I was just trying to express that the car will not be an everyday driver, so tyre wear isn't so important. So "fast road" use is perhaps a better description?

Cheers,  Will

I know what you mean, some good advice can be taken to extremes.  As good an authority as Alan Staniforth said, "Always buy a tread that is about 2" narrower than your wheels " (my underline) but he was about competition cars.

John

Hi Will

Reading your opening post, I might suggest that whilst pondering what to buy now is a good exercise, if the period before the car goes on the road is likely to be a year away I'd not actually buy them!   Tyres don't like being sat on rims inflated and unused, and even more so if the vehicle is sat on them. Current advice for even slightly sticky tyres over winter is deflate them and hang them by the rim centre so no weight on tyre.

Whilst its certainly designed as a track tyre, I've recently been trying the new TOYO R888R's in competition, but it is road legal. super sticky in the dry and warm, didn't feel too bad in the damp, but I'd probably walk in the wet! (seriously) they are available in 185/60/13, they only start with 5mm tread so you really must mean not worried about mileage.

Alan 

By 1968, 155/80 x 13 radials were a factory fit on the 2 litre engined small Triumphs and an option on the 4 cylinder engines. 

186/60 x 13 tyres are almost extinct.

175/70 x 13's are common, the right size and available in performance models. 

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&with_bootstrap_flag=1&s_p_=Summer_tyres&search_tool=&ist_hybris_orig=&x_tyre_for=&tabs=on&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&tyre_for=&suchen=Search+for+tyres&s_p=&cart_id=42955076.110.32239&Cookie=sea_rd_uk_Google_Search_Brand&sowigan=So&Breite=175&Quer=70&Felge=13&Speed=&Load=&Marke=&kategorie=6&filter_preis_von=&filter_preis_bis=&homologation=

Thanks Oilslick, that's what I'm finding.  I think a conversion to 175's is in order.
I use MyTyres, and am fortunate enough to have a good local place that will fit them (I've seen separate comments about difficulties with this).  You need to order the fitting through the Mytyres 'partner' when you order the tyre - as the garage is paid a subsidy from Mytyres.

Alan, Yes - you're right I shouldn't buy until I need them; but this year really does have to be the one the old girl runs again.  It's been 20 years and I'm running out of time......

John, 2" narrower!!!  That really can't apply to our cars as that would mean with standard rims you'd need 2.5" tyres (065's).  It would be like driving on a set of space saver spares...... fun.  I think the best interpretation is use the widest rims you can.  Thanks for mentioning Allan Staniforth, I browsed his books in the past, perhaps I should buy and read wholesale.

I took a look at Dunlop.  Nothing 'tasty' in 13" rim.

Cheers

175/70's are about right on 5-5.5" rims. A bit pinched on 4.5's and a bit stretched on 6's.

The Dolomite Sprint used 175/70 x 13 on 5.5" rims

Steel 13" rims? new Formula Ford rims in 5.5 x 13 are to be had, but at £108 each they are not cheap.

49 minutes ago, Scooter said:

I'm tempted to go to 14"wheels for the better choice of tyres. Almost nothing leaves the factory with 13" tyres  these days.

Something like 185/60x14's

Exactly what I have done. 

No complaints here, and just picked up a shonky set of 6x14 alleycats that need a fair bit of work (think I will make up and acid bath to remove corrosion, then a clean up with abrasive and etch prime. On a warm summer day or two....) 

Good choice in the 14's, I had a set of Michelin Crossclimates on for a couple of trackdays that were wet/damp and a bit chilly. Grip was very good, but hoping that will also be the case now the weather is improving. Time will tell! 

Hi Will,

if milage is not soooo important and you like a period look with a fast road or track day compound,

splash out some money for Avon CR6ZZ in 175 70 13.

I use them on 5.5 x 13 ET9 and this is superb.

Cheers Martin

8 minutes ago, Martin said:

Hi Will,

if milage is not soooo important and you like a period look with a fast road or track day compound,

splash out some money for Avon CR6ZZ in 175 70 13. 

I use them on 5.5 x 13 ET9 and this is superb.

Cheers Martin

Hello Martin

Are gold plate or solid gold?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/175-70hr13-avon-cr6zz.html

Roger

Fantastic, thanks Martin.  The Avons are exactly the tyre I want, the right look, the right rim size and section.

.... but damn I'm tight.  I can't stop thinking of Nick's budget Falcons.

Maybe start with the cheapos and shake the car down.  Once this is done I might be feeling rich?

Back in my yoof, I used to work as a Saturday boy at the local Ford garage.

One of the more horrible job was buffing down brand new tyres for the racing team. On the wheel balancer, spin, apply sanding disk and buff them down to near slick and get caked in rubber dust.

Combining the last two post, after trying Nick's Falken SN832's in the wet at Castle Combe last year I bought as set, took, even wore them to several events at which point the promised rain evaporated, and as Nick says they aren't so brilliant in the dry, which was a bit of a bugger as in roadgoing you have to compete on the tyres you drove to the event in!  However we did do some softness test on the SN832's and they are remarkably soft, the problem is that they have very deep tread blocks like 10mm, which means in the dry they squirm.  I haven't done it yet but there are now several places that will actually shave tyres to the depth required, when I get a chance I'm going  to take the set of wheels with the SN832's on  and have them shaved to about 5-6mm, I think it will do wonders to their dry handling, and at about £14 per tyre, given how cheap the SN832's actually are I think they will make a great wet/damp tyre which may also perform in the dry.

They are the sort of price that you can afford to experiment!

Alan

I agree, Avon´s are expensive.  I paid 170 Euro plus VAT each. But worth every penny.

Now second season. I hope they last appr 5 years.

Then it is 160 Euro a year. That was the businessplan how I persuaded my wallet.

Martin

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread as I am looking at same for the Spitfire.

For sprints and hillclimbs I was running the car on 5.5 x 13 Dunlop steel wheels with 185/60 Yokohama A048s in medium compound (the old one available) on the longer tracks and very hot days and as they were also road legal they could be used for driving to and from the more local events and for the odd 'road test' and fun run.

For the shorter tracks or on long tracks on cold days I used Avon ZZ-R soft compound although these were only available in 185/55 x 13 and not road legal.

I have a spare set of 5.5 x 13 wheels so I am planning on getting them properly refurbished and re-shod. Question is what tyres??

The A048s were fine as road tyres in most circumstances. Good dry and damp grip, relatively soft sidewall for the swing axles and acceptable wear given the mileage I am likely to do on them. They were however 'challenging' to the point of scary when very wet. And on one particularly memorable occasion when it snowed :stupid:

Yokohama have replaced the A048s with A052s which look like they have a more water tolerant tread pattern but as far as I can tell are not available in 13".

I am looking for a 185/60 x 13 profile tyre with good grip and reasonable wet weather performance. I have no interest in fuel economy, long life or dB rating life or for that matter 'period' tyres at Longstone (or any other) prices! I also appreciate that in these times actually finding something in stock is perhaps the biggest challenge of all.

What are others using?