Survey on crank damper pullies

You may recall, I asked people to contribute to this survey earlier this year.    I can now publish the results and have done so on the "Technical articles and Reviews Forum"

But apparently, that is restricted in some way - it was originally the private publishing site of Dave Sideways himself, and while I can put things there, there are still some restrictions.     I posted a Word document there but others couldn't read it, so  put the report in as a plain post, asking for comments - and others can't reply there!

SO!    Please go and have a read at http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7830-survey-on-crank-damper-pullies/&tab=comments#comment-103143

And post your comments here?

Thanks!

JOhn

• 1 year later...

Now the fruit of my research is available!

I'll be at the Triumph Weekend, Stratford-on-Avon racecourse, that historically is jointly held by the TSSC and the TRR, demonstrating my Crank Damper Test System.   

Look for me in the Outside Trade Area, or listen for the revving engine rig!

John

combined.jpg

• 6 months later...

I've published on the theory and procedure, in the Courier (Nos.472/3, October & November 2019) and, in print, in the TRR TRaction.  Rather than republish, please read those articles?

But, yes, a trigger wheel on the crank pulley, and a motion sensor, as used for distributor-less ignition, allows analyses of torsional vibration and damping.     This can be done at a range of revolution speeds, and can identify 'critical speeds'.

John

• 1 month later...

With respect, michael, expensive but not astronomical!    A quick Google finds several shippers from the UK for such a parcel at less than £40.

And with modesty, AFAIK I am the only person in the world who can offer this test!

John