Nick & Chris's Gt6 Mk 3

Hello All

I flew to the Isle on Man for the TT in the mid 70's from Coventry Airport on a DC3 and remember seeing rivits loose/rotating in the wings but probably thought if the pilot is willing to fly in it why shloud I worry(pobably misguided?) but maybe not as not sure now but was the safest aircraft even made for hours flown in those days!

Roger

ps We have been on a couple of scary ones since like full thottle through the gate in Peru becase the previous aircraft had not cleared the runway and people were screeming I thought it was great and the closest I will jet to a fighter plane as it almost stood on its tail and push you back in the seats just before the wheels would have touched down!!

I could tell you about the overhead bin that would not lock so after all the crew beat hell out of it the ground crew just Gaffer taped it up(would not happen in UK ! grounded and put up in some S**ty hotel for a few days or sleep on this bench!) I will go with gaffer tape!

Just thought of another coming back from a cheap and cheerful in god Knows were we were told there was a fault on the aircraft but after a couple of hours and talking to UK engineers it turn out it was just one of the saftey switch lights on the door and there were 3 of them ! so you could either fly with the crew or be put up in some cheap hotel for the night? We thought they do not have a death wish normally so flew home

There are others?

From the experience of my mate in private aviation maintenance I would say that the ability for any given pilot to understand the relative seriousness of any given mechanical fault is...variable :blink:

Oh, and you'd have to sedate him like Mr T to get him into a helicopter.

It was a while ago that some state was sending rockets up into the stratosphere over Finland, all for atmospheric research.    The rockets would come down somewhere in Lapland, so they arranged for the Sumi people the original Lapps, who follow their nomadic reindeer across the tundra, to be helicoptered out, to keep them safe.

Until it was pointed out that the chance of dying in the chopper was manytimes greater than being topped by a falling rocket, Lapland being rather big and sparsely populated.

John

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Until it was pointed out that the chance of dying in the chopper was many times greater than being topped by a falling rocket, Lapland being rather big and sparsely populated.

The concept of risk is difficult for many people to cope with.

In spite of the dosh on offer I never fancied working offshore, the helicopter transfer being one of the (many) reasons. Far too many potential single point failures in a helicopter :blink:

Only been in one once, a trip out to the gas rigs in Morecambe Bay, to assess their medical facilities.   They showed us a training video first of a helicopter cabin that could be tipped into a swimming pool to simulate ditching.  Scarey enough, but then I had to put on a dry suit and wear a life jacket!

The rig was three platforms close together enough for bridges between, but for some reason they hadn't built one yet, and there were helipads on both end platforms.    We landed on one, made our visit and were ready to go home.  The pilot said he would take off and fly to the other helipad to pick up someone else going  ashore.       I thought that the chopper would go up, go across, and then down again, but no! We set off, away from the rig, and went into a tight turn to get back to the other helipad,  Really tight.  Really, really tight!     I could look sideways out of the cabin and see nothing but sea, although we were still really close to the rig.

I didn't know choppers could do that!  Don't wnat to do it again!

been on a few Helicopters to rigs in the north sea. This was pre Alpha Bravo accident so you could fly without the full training (in the training you have to demonstrate you knew how to get out of an upside down helicopter body in a tank of water...). Didnt enjoy being on the rigs, the guys working on the rigs deserve the money they earn... I was much happier working in research in a nice warm lab in Cambridge.

Remember one flight out of Houston on an old plane (doing its last flight) with Continental Airlines. Everyone got on board and then a long wait with staff coming and going. Eventually the captain come on the tannoy and said they had a fault and would have to reboot the plane!. And they powered  everything off, plane completely quiet,  waiting a couple of minutes restarted it and the fault had cleared and off we went across the Atlantic! 

Sorry this is drifting away from Nicks GT6....   but
I have had 2 mk3  GT6's both with 2.5l engines and have to say it does work work, lots of torque and easy fast driving but my last one ate 2 gearboxes and 2 diffs during the time I had it..