Chris's Mkiv Basket Case restored to glory

Thanks all  :)

Still sorting one or two minor bugs - fuel gauge has stopped working (sender died) and just changed the carb needles (now AAT) to hopefully improve the fuel economy without loosing the top end.  But basically he's just started using it daily (already done nearly 500 miles) and it's just accepted it without protest.....

Got it 4 wheel aligned last week.  The good (and bad) news was that we'd got it so damn close with tape measure and homemade camber gauge it wasn't really worth the expense.

I think he's pretty pleased with himself - and so he should be.  It has been alot of work, but perhaps surprisingly he's now bugging me to get cracking on the GT6!  He's out there now re-organising the garage......

New build thread soon!

Nick

Great looking spitfire. All the hard work has paid off.

Gt6? must have missed that. Look forward to a thread. Are you going modified, fuel ejection, etc. I think I know the answer. Great starting a new project, change of scenery etc.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Spitty has been doing daily driver duties and behaving well.

Changed oil and filter today as it's done 1,065 miles from re-birth.  Also checked and tweaked timing. Now set way advanced according to book (~12ºBTDC rather than 6º), but still no pinking and goes better.  Hopefully will be better on fuel too.  This will hopefully be further improved by finding a fixing a leak in the vac advance pipe...... clockwork crap!

Also nipped up the front wheel bearings and oiled the trunnions.  All this in preparation for Sirs impending trip to Cornwall with GF.  Only about 100 miles each way but will be the longest continuous run its done.........  Also means him driving on motorway (briefly) for the first time in his 3 year driving career!

Had a small issue with the starter while working on the car when it suddenly forgot how to engage.  It's not done this before. After checking wiring and finding nothing I got bored with it and smacked it with a big hammer......... normal service immediately returned.  Percussive maintenance wins again!

Nick

• 5 months later...

Spit is now up to 2,250 miles.  It's been on light duties as it lives in Granny's garage in Taunton while Chris is at Uni.  That way it can serve as his station commuter vehicle. It's been mostly behaving except when in my charge, when it typically fails to start.  That starter issue cropped up again in a petrol station and percussive maintenance failed, perhaps because the wheel brace wasn't heavy enough.  Fortunately shorting the the two big solenoid terminals with the same wheel brace got it working ( no, I don't understand why either, but I was grateful) and once home I removed the starter, cleaned the bendix, lubricated it with graphite and now it's fine. 

The other issue was the battery - a hand-me-down from the Vitesse.  It's a Halfords 3 year, date stamped from June 2004.  Still fine if you use the car at least weekly, but won't hold a charge for a month.  Oldest (nearly) working battery I've ever had though - and by some margin.  We bought a new Halfords 3 year, which looks exactly the same but shinier.  We also fitted a brand new Mitsubishi 70A alternator intended for a Ford Fiesta.  Not quite a direct swap (even fairly indirect) but it has solved the variable light brightness, variable indicator speed and variable wiper speed that has afflicted all 3 of the (admittedly elderly) Lucas ACR17s we've tried.  Also rebuilt the steering rack which had seemed fine but rapidly developed a clonk.  Tested that and the alternator with a 120 mile round trip part of which needed lights, wipers and blower and all was good.

Finally, now that the electrical system voltage seemed stable, we fitted an Accuspark EI unit.  Fired up no bother with just a slight tweak needed to retard the timing.  It's going back to it's garage tomorrow for a few weeks......

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Swapping stories......?

Vitesse is telling Spitty " whenever I get a strip of duct tape put between hood and screen frame, I know I'm in for a right whipping.....

P1170812s.jpg

I've been using it (Vitesse) for daily driver duties the last couple of days and it's fine.  Even managed 25.8 mpg average on the tank that included Wednesdays whipping session, which is frankly astonishing....... considering just under 90 track miles!

Nick

• 3 months later...

Spitfire is back in daily used and mostly performing well.  It's needed a new fuel gauge sender to make the gauge work reliably.  Little bit of fuel leakage from the jet on one of the carbs which seems to be caused by a poorly sealing needle valve allowing fuel level to rise when idling in traffic.  New last year Viton tipped......!

It's taking Chris and Girlfriend to far west Wales in a couple of weeks so he's been going through it.

Brakes - bloody new (Chinese?) calipers are still retracting the pistons too much, giving a natural self adjust point about half way down the pedal - in spite of being re-educated 3 times now.  May have to change the seals.

Gearbox - he's recently started to complain of the 3rd/4th gate getting stiff when warm/hot.  Apparently takes a really good tug to get it out of third when hot.  Happens on the move and stationary, engine running and not. Normal when cold.  Any thoughts on this welcomed!
So far he's had the tunnel cover off and removed the remote, which seems absolutely fine.  It's been cleaned and re-lubed and tested with the tunnel off.  May have helped a bit but not a complete cure.

The tunnel removal also revealed the clutch arm pivot pin on the verge of escape having worked upwards nearly its entire length.  Didn't appear to be affecting clutch function though.  It's been replaced with a long bolt and with a nut on the bottom to hopefully prevent further escape.  Tunnel removal now justified whatever!

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Did Wales and back.  Just over 500 miles in a week, some of them in awful traffic.  No issues. We now know it can manage over 40mpg in the right conditions though mid to upper 30s is more typical.  Tune must be something like right......

Nick

PS, it did better than the Arosa which was taking little bro' to Cornwall.  That had four (4!) unscheduled stoppages for some so far unknown electrical reason.  It did at least re-start each time after a short interval.

8 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Nick

What is a Arosa? Is a rice pudding of some sort?

Roger

School boy humour normally sniggers about it being some form of sex aid........

Actually it is the Spanish version of the VW Lupo, which is itself a truncated VW Polo.  This particular one is the 1.7SDI. It has a normally aspirated diesel with 60 ponies - the S is for slow. It's owner appreciates the 60+ miles it can squeeze out of a gallon of diesel though. I paid under £500 for it 4 years / 30k miles ago, so cheap motoring.  It's now working normally again, so it's going to be hard to fix........

Nick

• 1 year later...

Spitty continues to get used.

Now up to about 6K.  Another MoT passed a couple of months back.  We refurbed some proper Girling 16PB calipers with new seals and stainless pistons which has finally cured the low brake pedal issue.  Can' t recommend the new calipers based on our experiences.

Still got dribbly carb issues which are resisting fixing.........

..........However......

P1190404s.jpg

Steps are being taken to deal with them once and for all!

This system will be Speeduino based - I'm watching with interest!

11 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Spitty continues to get used.

Now up to about 6K.  Another MoT passed a couple of months back.  We refurbed some proper Girling 16PB calipers with new seals and stainless pistons which has finally cured the low brake pedal issue.  Can' t recommend the new calipers based on our experiences.

Still got dribbly carb issues which are resisting fixing.........

..........However......

P1190404s.jpg

Steps are being taken to deal with them once and for all!

This system will be Speeduino based - I'm watching with interest!

Very interested to see how well the Speedunino system works.

Does it have full support from the Megatune software ass I think that's key to getting a home brew EFI system working...
Nice manifold did he make it?

Maybe start a new topic on it as I am sure a few on here will be interested  :)

Mike

I made the manifold (two in fact) a couple of years ago.  There's a thread on here about it somewhere...……. Chris made the fuel rail, though the final welding was done by someone who can TIG weld properly......

Found the previous thread...… longer ago than I thought

I'm also curious about the Speeduino.  Apparently there's a Tuner Studio variant for it.  Chris thinks he'll be able to plug straight into my MS version - I suspect not......

• 2 weeks later...

Speeduino does talk to Tuner Studio with the .ini file provided.  Result!

P1190411s.jpg

Trigger wheel attached.  Ebay wheel modified slightly.  Holes drilled and tapped in the pulley itself (would have preferred the other way around but the boss in the pulley centre makes getting the bolts in very hard unless you get the holes in exactly the right spot - tricky to arrange. 

P1190409sc.jpg

Anyway, threadlock and threadlocked lock-nuts will hopefully hold and Tigerseal to stop any movement/fretting.  The Tigerseal alone would probably be enough!

Sensor bracket made and welded to the timing case.  It's a BMW/Mini Hall sensor

P1190416sc.jpg

And wiring.....

P1190415s.jpg

rather him than me...... ECU is the black box on the seat.

Coilpack also mounted.  It's one of the Volkswagen wasted spark ones with built in ignitors.  Chris discovered that whereas Triumph use the colour brown for unfused permanent live and black for earth, VAG use brown for earth and black for feed.......  As the coilpack earth pin is also connected to the chassis ground, this vaporises the supply fuse when you switch on.....  That's why the fuse was a good idea then!  Hopefully the dead short to ground wasn't seen by any of the electronics in the pack and it's still good!

Nick

I posted some forum pictures last year showing the lack of space between the Spitfire front pulley and steering rack! I had to take my trigger wheel setup back to the machinist a couple of times to fit trigger wheel more forward onto the pulley.

Have you tried checking the clearance? Mine was close, but found out on first street bump (loud grind noise) that I needed much bigger gap!

It looks like you did machine off some of the pulley backside, but I'm not sure!

Andy

2 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Watching and reading with interest... I've used the arduino for a few projects, the possibility of using that or a teensy for EFI is really cool.

ditto
great to hear that Tunerstudio works with it, that's essential.

I too like the Arduino and have one on the herald to control the wipers (2 speed and interrupt)..

mike

Hello All

Coilpack also mounted.  It's one of the Volkswagen wasted spark ones with built in ignitors. 

That's the type I used on Spitty when I switched to EFI and wanted to dump the ford stuff as it is old and adds more wiring.

I bought a spare to carry for about £10/£12 (Chinese I expect but tested it before packing into the boot were it has stayed for the last 2 years)

Plus my reasoning was that I could get one anywhere when travelling in Spain etc(VW Skoda)

Roger

ps my tick over control has thrown a wobbly and keeps letting the engine die(probably me as I altered something after our Spanish trip because it was to high)but can not remember exactly what!(must start keeping notes!)

Hi Roger,

He's wanting me to pick your brains about the coilpack settings you used and also on the tick-over control.  We have (I think) the same Ford control valve mounted directly to the manifold.  I foresee hours of fun with that...….!

Must see if I can  find a 6 cylinder wasted-spark coilpack with built-in ignitors for the Vitesse.  EDIS works well enough but I could use the room on the bulkhead and it would be nice to have a slightly more subtle rev limiter!

Hello Nick 

just had a thought it may have been the 340Hz I altered as I could hear it buzzing(but then it buzzes on all setting just a different rate)

What I did was set the highest number that sounded quiet and left in on for 15 mins to see if it got hot and it was just warm! so perhaps this is how they a designed to work?

Roger

Yep, I think that's what he wanted - thanks!

Don't (yet) know enough to comment on the valve frequency.........

How bad are the chassis holes?  Main rails can get a bit frilly round the diff on Vitesses and Heralds because the water and mud finds it's way down the boot-riggers and sits in the low spots.