Manifold Fabrication

Looking at making a couple of plenum FI manifolds for the 1300/1500.

Got some flanges laser cut......

P1120105s.jpg

......and plenum backplates

P1120320s.jpg

local engineering co made some dies to form a flare on 35mm OD tube

P1120318s.jpg

in a small press

P1120316s.jpg

P1120317s.jpg

Watch this space

Nick

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the wall behind that press is far too clean :P

nice flare tool.a good value engineers shop nearby is worth it's weight in gold.

I've used the back of a socket from my toolkit before to make flares with some success although only with aluminium.

I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos…

I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos, I'm keeping my Dellortos…

Sure, why not? DS chosen and fettled Dellortos will be fine.  I'm just opening negotiations with a local guy with a stalled long term Spitfire project (it's been stalled about 10 years according to rumour) in the hope that we can do a deal no. 1 son can afford.  Not that I've had a decent look at the remains yet.  We also have a lead on a Herald estate that "runs but has been parked in a wood for 10 years".  Apparently it is "quite rusty"!!  Not sure I even want to look at that one.

Was talking to a bloke last night with a tuned MGC on triple Webers.  After being somewhat dismissive about EFI on classic cars he then let slip that his does between 7 and 14 mpg........ flippin' heck.......  I suggested it might need a rolling road tune but apparently it's already been to "the best in the business"........ Yeah. Ok then.

Nick

The skill, efforts and the prices for equipment for setting up Webers or Dellortos

are often underestimated.

It is a big advantage that you have the rolling road built in as you have the

required measuring and loggging equipment in the EFI system and need no

more parts for metering.

So from the power that can be achieved both systems are not that far away

from each other but the EFI can be brought close to perfection much easier and cheaper.

Why not putting EFI throttle bodies on such a DCOE or DHLA car, they have a

"look and feel" like Weber DCOE and same pattern to fit?

One big problem that can be solved with that swap is the difference of location:

In Italy, where the carbs are from, mainly cross flow heads are in use what keeps

the carbs cooler. Our TR6 or other British engines have often the heating exhaust

under the carbs what is possible but not perfect for DCOEs.

• 4 months later...

I've been very idle....... but some progress made recently.

Laser cut flanges fit nicely

P1130505s.jpg

Runners fit nicely into them

P1130506s.jpg

Bit of CAD (also drawn Solidworks by my tame trainee draughtsman son for the laser cutter)

P1130511s.jpg

and an inside shot

P1130509s.jpg

Still deliberating on plenum size.  So much conflicting info on the net.  It's about 130% of displacement for the 1296 or 110% for the 1493 now.  Vitesse one is 100% and has good torque and response but may be limiting the top end now.

Injector pockets are made but are not quite right (shame as I've got quite a few) and will need fettling.

Nick

Looking good Nick.

Whats the block to wheelarch clearance?  Those trumpets ples planum plus cable clearance look way long!

They do don't they........ But in fact will be about 20mm less than the standard set-up including filter box.  Which means I've cocked up as was meant to be the same!

Nick

They do don't they........ But in fact will be about 20mm less than the standard set-up including filter box.  Which means I've cocked up as was meant to be the same!

Nick

Hi Nick

I would look at putting a 12 - 15 degree depth change on the wheel arch side of your plenum. This makes a significcant change to the shocklosses around the trumpet intakes for the minimum depth change.

You could do more that that was an economic sweet spot that we did on a mine ventilation system and is pretty common on intake plenums as well.

This one is from the bottom...

post-785-0-02423900-1444353650_thumb.jpg

A couple of others are in the attached doc.

Cheers

Nigel

Intake Plenum pictures.doc

Ok, took a slightly different approach.

Tubular plenum has become a truncated cone D80 at inlet D65 at far end.

CAD

P1130520s.jpg

Steel

P1130522s.jpg

P1130523s.jpg

P1130527s.jpg

Bit fiddly but not too bad.  Might revert to your suggestion for production versions though Nigel - more welding but offset by not having to roll a rather odd shape.

Need a car to try it on now - while we have a Spitfire in the garage it is rather...... errr, "spread out" right now.

Nick

nicely done John. Air will be drawn from behind the radius intake runners so a fully radius inlet will improve airflow. The topic has been discussed here . tubing welded to the flared intake runner or slide the pleum out to meet the flange. Good luck

Edited by motov8id

• 3 weeks later...

Nick

What are the throttle body and injectors from & how did you decide upon injector type & angle?  Were the components picked based on what you had on hand & was the injector angle based on the space available, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Throttle body and injectors are from K series 1.4.  Injectors are 0280 155 884 (176cc/min). THis should be about right for 1300 but there is a huge choice of injectors available in same fitting plus some shorter ones which would still fit the cups.  K series TB is readily available (at the moment), cheap, compact and available in a selection of butterfly sizes with the same package dimensions.

Injector angle is 45º.  Because it's easy to arrange - I don't think it's especially critical - works well on the Vitesse.

Nick