Tr6 Trans On Gt6 - Dreaded Bracket

So I put my hands on the fabled Dolly Sprint clutch bracket after a world search, as it was supposed to make the clutch relocation work well when mounting the TR6 trans on the GT6. It fit great BUT the pic below was what I got! The gap between the slave pushrod and the clutch road lever is about 1.5". That seems like way too much to span for a good solid linkage. Thoughts or suggestion?. I'm thinking I will just have to fabricate a bracket ala Steve Smith or Chuck Gee after all.

post-1495-0-47259800-1384724171_thumb.jpg

post-1495-0-65985300-1384724176_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is a big offset, I'm surprised. I reckon the original line would've supplied a more bent arm but I don't know.

This is my constant gripe that these things were built by committee. Nothing ever standard despite the name.

Presumably the nice stampings are stiff enough to avoid flex? If so, I'd work with it cuz my lashup went thru many iterations before it was sturdy and nowhere near the elegant engineering I desire.

Yeah.... problem is that the clutch operating cross-shaft comes in 3 flavours.

TR2-6 and saloon p/no. 136354 - this is what you have.

Sprint p/no. 158168 - has the arm pointing upwards and much more cranked to line up with the slave cylinder

Stag p/no. 150709 - not sure how it differs but it ain't what you want.

Your choices:

Mod the cross-shaft arm to suit. Not hard for a decent fabricator/blacksmith type - but it needs to be strong - they are known to twist/snap due to the offset pivot points.

Make a different slave bracket (space/packaging concerns - the Sprint arrangement is about as good as it gets for your application)

Invest in a concentric slave kit from HVDA or similar. (I think Steve uses something like this??)

To this last option I would add (as a saloon owner with the same basic design) that the cross-shaft arrangement is RUBBISH with failures being common and a nice feeling clutch pedal being rare. If you decide to stick with it then do double up on the bushes at each end and add grease nipples and do add a dowel or through bolt to back up/assist the taper-pin, which breaks all too often. You may also have some trouble finding a release bearing carrier that is the right length for your application (which also has a big effect on clutch operation and feel). Best advice - start with one of the longer brass ones (earlier TRs I think) I get it machined down to suit. You can happily ignore this last paragraph if you go concentric release! Yeah, the hydraulics can fail and you have to pull the box. Same story if the taper pin shears (they do), or if the fork snaps (they do).

Cheers

Nick

ideally you need the dolomite cross shaft which has the correctly angled bell crank and will line up perfectly with the pushrod.if you make one make sure it is quite thick section and double weld it to the shaft as the offset angle creates a high shear load which eventually fatigues the originals to failure.

Thanks. I had no idea the Dolly cross shaft existed. Not too many in South Carolina! I will look for one and may also throw in the towel and look into the annular release bearing options. I know restorations sells one for $$$$$$. Any one else? I am also contacting HVDA in the states.

I don't know it this can contribute anything as it was obviously built to fit. I rotated the TR shaft 1/4 turn and bolted the cross shaft to make this work. Second pic shows the extended throw out bearing. The extension is just a tube with steps machined at each end then pressed together. Never had any issue with this mod.

For concentric throwout assemblies look to the stock car suppliers. Tilton makes one { $$$$$ } and Howe had the one I liked best. Afco Racing is a really good resource as well as Hoerr Racing.

heatshields006.jpg

TRgearboxSECONDTRANS005.jpg

Ah ok, don't know why I thought you had a concentric one slave Steve....... :huh:

Quite a few OE concentric slaves around these days. Saab being one of the longest to use them. Lots of modern European Ford and GM products use them too but don't know about West of the big pond. There is a Saab one that takes the right size/shape bearing - can't find the p/no just now as have misplaced my notes. Still needs mods to locate and space it properly though.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

This project is moving along pretty well (knock on wood) as I slowly find the needed Sprint parts. Here are a couple of pics just FYI. One question though, I think the best slave cylinder would be that from the Sprint also, since it is essentially the same set up. It is a 7/8" bore but seems the bracket has smaller bolt holes than the GT6 slave typically uses. They are available in the UK, but not that I have found in the US. Anyone know if it is a shared part with another Triumph or other car. A shame to pay as much for shipping than for the part. Thanks all - you've been a big help.

post-1495-0-08747200-1387284335_thumb.jpg

post-1495-0-80020500-1387284343_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the Sprint, but on the saloons it is possible to use a Landrover one.

These are the same external fitting and come in 7/8" and 1" bores. Info I've just found suggests the older ones use 7/8" and the later ones (V8 and diesel too) use 1" but suggest checking that! I'm using one myself on my saloon but can't remember which bore. Saloons use both dependent on engine size and also have 3 drillings on the operating arm to choose from just to compliacte matters further!

Can you not use the original GT6 one?

Cheers

Nick

I have the same box in my Vitesse 2.5 using a thinner Vitesse flywheel,Sprint cross shaft upside down which lines up with the slave perfectly.

Also modded taper pin,Standard bearing carrier but its the Brass one.

I also had the bushes and the fork pins replaced as they were too small.The clutch is very smooth and works perfectly,i found with the steel bearing carrier it was notchy-sort of off or on.

Steve

Thanks Nick. I had noticed that Canley or Rimmers had the same product offered for RRovers, so you confirmed the option! My GT6 slave has larger bolt holes and is worn, so I needed a new one anyway. This has been a fun, ever-evolving mystery with international intrigue.

that's all well and good until a seal fails,but if your racing the box is probably in and out quite often so can be easily fixed.me,i'm lazy I would rather the failure prone parts be on the outside.(after doing all the aforementioned mods to the standard set up of course)

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, here are a few pics of the assembled gearbox/clutch with:

- Dolly Sprint slave bracket and cross shaft (modified to take cross bolt)

- Range Rover slave

- new wide cross shaft bushings and brassk bearing holder from Wishbone

- lots of cleaning!

It will be a while before it's mounted up to the motor to check the spacing and mechanicals.

post-1495-0-72532800-1389475810_thumb.jpg

post-1495-0-34819500-1389475818_thumb.jpg

post-1495-0-23659900-1389475824_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the middle of doing this very same gearbox swap in the gt6 mk1.

I have the saloon four speed gearbox,

The GT6 flywheel is thinner than the saloon one,

my question is,

With this in mind, if you was building an engine with a lot of power, what clutch would you use????

can I make GOOD use to the space (differance in flywheels)???