Race Video

Clark, it appears your oil pressure gauge has a larger pipe going to it as fast as it reacts. Drops alarmingly when powering out of the tight lefthander. I never saw the pressure light come on though. Sure sounds nice. Is your rev limit always 7K or were you being conservative?The link doesn't work direct but you can search for "Lincspeed" on Youtube to get it.

Steve, the oil pressure has always dipped a bit on left handers, but I've never noticed it going below 35lb or so. What do you think is causing that? (Using your oiling manifold/distribution design)

7000RPM is just me worrying about my stock crank. No rev limiter, as you notice I run a bit over every now and then...

The link should work now (does for me)

Clark.

What about the sump?

Any baffling, surface plates?

The oil pump goes in down the left-hand side, under the camshaft - you know that - but the pick-up projects towards the midline.

Without some baffling, the oil will climb the right hand wall of the sump and leave the pick-up in clear (-ish) air, whereas it must still be able to reach the pool on right bends. Mine always went dry on left handers, before I fitted a baffling system.

John

John, thought I replied to this yesterday, but it musta got lost... We did fabricate a baffle box around the pick up with trap doors. The same design my engine builder has used for years on his racing Spits... So, go figure.

Clark

Didn't bother with trap doors. Not confident that they would work!

Could it be one of yours has jammed?

Two cross baffles, fore and aft of the pickup, each 1/4" from the wall of the sump, supported on a surface plate, with holes for pump and dipstick.

Flanges around the holes, to keep the oil down.

Front of surface plate curved down to meet the front, raised part of the sump (six cylinder), to stop oil flooding that.

All held in place by welding to the sump walls small pieces of steel sheet, go through slots in the surface plate.

Simples! And does it for me.

JOhn

If the oil pressure drop is sufficient to show on the gauge then based on my own experience of data logging it's a sure bet that the actual drop in pressure is greater than that as indicated by the gauge.

In my instance the actual logged drop in pressure was to ZERO for a fraction of a second although this was not indicated by either the gauge or the warning light. When this happened wear of the bearings, in my case the big end bearings, starts to be noticeable despite the oil pressure being indicated by the gauge to be satisfactory. Every time this happens the wear accelerates until something has to give - usually total big end failure at maximum revs.

As suggested worth baffling the sump and when it's off check the bearings as well.

Pete Richards

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds wonderful! Very like the sound on the Candybox Vitesse vid......

Worth dealing with the oil surge ASAP I'd say - even some air in the bearing feeds at those rpms is not going to do good things - and as you develop the car and pull more G it'll get worse!

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

After talking to my engine builder we decide to add another half quart and the problem seems to have gone away. Recent run at our club track showed a very slight dip on entry to a sharp left hander while still under braking. Dropped 5-6lb for about 1 sec. On other left handers where I'm not trail braking,there's no drop (showing on the gauge on the video)

Worst part of the big National race was that I corded a new set of Hoosier slicks ($1000) due to bad advice on set up. I was using the same set up that worked fine on the Goodyears that were the same spec. (bias ply, cantilever sidewall 20X8X13)

I leave next week for Road America - my first vintage race at the invite of Kas Kastner with a new set of vintage legal Hoosiers ($$) - hopefully I will have the set up right this time, after much discussion with Hoosier and other racers... Of course I am also concerned about driving the old girl at 130MPH (7000rpm/3.26 rear end) - RA is fast if you have the motor and the chassis to handle it.

Clark