Gt6 Uprated Springs

im after a set of front springs for mk3 gt6 lowered 1" to go on avo adjustable front dampers i see elsewhere on forum about fitting 480lb springs what difference does the lb mean,does it mean they are stiffer or stronger ..rims do some 262lb but have no stock of 330lb ones,cann dont seem to have any listed of any type of spring ..would you notice difference in rating on the road /fast road ???

do you know who does 480lb springs hoping to save on postage and get at stonleigh..cheers :thanks:

I would say just go and get a pair from Melin Motorsport at whatever spring rate you want, but depending on the shock absorbers you are using, the 2.5" ID springs may not fit. The Triumph small chassis springs were all 2.68" ID as standard.

If you have uprated shock absorbers you may be able to fit 2.5" ID spings, it's worth checking before you order.

i see elsewhere on forum about fitting 480lb springs what difference does the lb mean,does it mean they are stiffer or stronger ..

Springs are described as Xlbs/inch. A 'stiffer' spring will compress less for the same load, or to put it the way round that the springs are described, they need a greater load to compress by the same amount (1").

If you want a shorter spring to lower your car, then it must be stiffer to prevent the car grounding.

And a stiffer spring alows the suspension to deflect less, to move away less from the ideal setting that plants the tyres on the ground for maximum grip. That's why F1 springs are almost rigid, so the tyres don't move around - there is more deflection in an F1 tyre than the springing!

JOhn

I removed some TT4407 480 lb springs from my Spitfire with fibre glass bonnet, as they were way to hard for the road and fitted them to my GT6. The ride quality has hardly been affected and I recon I could go a lot harder. Just all that extra weight up front on a GT6.

I removed some TT4407 480 lb springs from my Spitfire with fibre glass bonnet, as they were way to hard for the road and fitted them to my GT6. The ride quality has hardly been affected and I recon I could go a lot harder. Just all that extra weight up front on a GT6.

Me too with a GT6 and GRP bonnet, 480 springs are not overly hard - heavy old engine!!

• 12 years later...

Hi,
I'm from 2024.:banana:

My AVOs are getting long-in-the-tooth & I believe they are not rebuildable any more. An advisory on the last MOT.  So I will replace the pair.
My springs are 330# I was looking at going lower# on my 2.5 Spit. After reading the above I am having second thoughts!
Would less than 330# be a bad choice?
Cheers,
Iain.

As above, you can run some strong springs with a straight six engine, especially a 2.5. I wouldn't go softer than 330lb.  As mentioned, I ran 480lb on my gt6 2.litre on the road, no issues. I like the low look, but was forced to raise the ride height because of the introduction of speed humps,  pillows, everywhere. Also be aware of the clearence between the bulk head and tyres, the lower you go the tighter the clearence, and doesn't  take  much to have the tyres rubbing on full lock or braking whilst turning etc.

Edited by Mark
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, spitfire6 said:

Hi,
I'm from 2024.:banana:

My AVOs are getting long-in-the-tooth & I believe they are not rebuildable any more. An advisory on the last MOT.  So I will replace the pair.
My springs are 330# I was looking at going lower# on my 2.5 Spit. After reading the above I am having second thoughts!
Would less than 330# be a bad choice?
Cheers,
Iain.

Are you using oe or trunnionless uprights? It makes a big difference. You need much harder springs with trunnionless.  (30-50% at a guess)

• Like 2

Agree with @JohnD and @Mark

330lb are absolutely the lowest I would go with. I used 480lb on the 2.5L Spitfire and could really have gone a bit stiffer.

My 1300 Spitfire runs 500lb springs. Even in a 600kg car these do not feel overly harsh on the road.

As for ride height, I wouldn't run anything less than about 4" under the chassis. Speed bumps and bulkhead/wheelarch clearance issues start to arise. Using softer springs you probably need a bit more clearance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zetecspit said:

Are you using oe or trunnionless uprights? It makes a big difference. You need much harder springs with trunnionless.  (30-50% at a guess)

This. It’s true.

I run 350lb on the Vitesse. They were good on the OE trunnions. Too soft with trunnionless……

330lb on the GT6 are fine. Bit soft if anything.

• Like 1

Greetings everybody,
Thanks for the replies.
I am trunionless. I will be replacing the 14-year-old AVO's with adjustable height GAZ dampers. I am unemployed & GAZ seems to be the most inexpensive I could find with height adjustment.

Faulkner? Springs seem to be the place to go.
2 1/4" or 2 1/2"? Seem to remember 2.5"
Free length 10.5".
I guess 450# will fit the bill.  

PS.
I wish to keep the bottom wishbones in mid of travel,
Cheers,

Iain

Edited by spitfire6
Got a job

2 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Faulkner are very good. Highly recommended.

2 1/4" and 2 1/2" will fit but the 2 1/2" are a better match for the top retainer if you are sticking with that. And they are available in longer lengths which simplifies fitment.

Or you can do this and fit 2 1/4"...

DSC01060.thumb.jpg.5fe0aefa6d2a12cce3ffc3ac1bc9e71f.jpg

I would like to find the left hand set up to work in the front of my 3a.
but the set up in the 3a are quite short.

• Like 1

AVO and others do shocks in various lengths. 

The ones I have in the car now are - from memory - about an inch and a half shorter than standard with short springs to suit. Including 1.9" spring ID dampers may increase your options even more.

You might be able to get something suitable Hamish.

Edited by Escadrille Ecosse
  • Thanks 1

I'm running 325lb, 2.5 Inch ID, 9 Inch free length springs on my standard spitfire (both engine and trunions), and it's as low as I'd want to go. I have bumped the ground when taking speed bumps a little too.  Basically low enough for minor maintenance inconvenience, but looks good and runs well.

I have non-adjustable KYB shocks (came with the car so no idea if they are good), stiffer polybushes, and 175/70 R13s on standard rims.  So stiff suspension, and I think slightly soggier tyres than is ideal.  It handles very well in my view, and I imagine a heavier engine would want stiffer springs for the same experinence. 

I had a flawless experience with DFaulkner.

• Like 1