Triumph T6 Spitfire Gt Build Chris Sherrington.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still here! Been at Maracana for last two days, rehearsals for the Opening Ceremony of Paralympics. If you can, watch it - you will be amazed! Can't say what about, its all secret!

Had a holiday here between Games. Rio has to be the 'next' holiday destination. Miles x 10 - no, 100 of beaches, not expensive, colourful, kind, generous people, and SUN! This is the Rio winter, I fust got back from walk to the Copacabana beach fodr a swim and sun, its 25C. Having breakfast as a trumpeter busker (much better than that sounds) plays light jazz in the street below.

If you are sensible, its safer than its reputation, but you must take care. Cuidado! I've been mugged, but it was my own fault. I hung around waiting to take a photo for too long. Even a three inch knife is frightening, but the old judo (Ozoto-gari? Its a long time!) got him to the ground with me on top, and locals rescued me. Molto muit obrigado, Marcello!

Stay sensible and safe, and Rio really is The Marvellous City!

John

If you are sensible, its safer than its reputation, but you must take care. Cuidado! I've been mugged, but it was my own fault. I hung around waiting to take a photo for too long. Even a three inch knife is frightening, but the old judo (Ozoto-gari? Its a long time!) got him to the ground with me on top, and locals rescued me. Molto muit obrigado, Marcello!

Stay sensible and safe, and Rio really is The Marvellous City!

John

To stay safe in Rio take John, or Chris, with you.

• 4 weeks later...
Well Jon finally came up to Scotland last week to fit the rebuild head to the Spitfire. I was on leave so had a bit of time to remove all things needed and assist Jon on reassembly of the engine. 

As you might expect the engine started up and ran lovely straight off the bat. The noise was music to our ears. 

We then drove the car about five trouble free miles and Jon was very impressed at the smoothness of the ride and how well the car handles. 

We didn't push on much as I was a little cautious as we still needed to check the hoses etc, as it turns out the top hose clamp needs replacing as it wouldn't seal properly. 

So we decided to head home as all was well bar the top hose and all of a sudden the car lost power and died.......Ho Dear.

It was the same noise as the last time. Jon and I were stunned. All valves bent again and I had to get the Wife out so Jon could tow me back. 

Jon was shocked, hes never had this issue before. So he is now going to build me a Brand new engine with a totally different block etc and once its built I'll swap out the old unit for the new.

He's then going to strip the other engine and try to see whats gone wrong.

So the Spitfire is off the road for another Month or so but it will get another brand new rebuilt engine. Thats what Warranty's are for.

More when it happens.

Chris.

Sorry to hear about the continuing engine problems Chris.

FYI I've seen posts about a similar double failure issue on the Retro Rides Forum where the cause appears to have been the crank bolt backing off enough to let the lower pulley move.  This in spite of a new bolt being used and correctly torqued.  The final fix involved a new bolt from Ford and threadlock........

Nick

Sorry to hear about the continuing engine problems Chris.

FYI I've seen posts about a similar double failure issue on the Retro Rides Forum where the cause appears to have been the crank bolt backing off enough to let the lower pulley move.  This in spite of a new bolt being used and correctly torqued.  The final fix involved a new bolt from Ford and threadlock........

Nick

Likewise, sorry to hear of the grief you've been having with this. I can't think of any other suggestion than Nick's - it does seem odd that Ford didn't allow for positive location of such a crucial element, however, I'm sure they had their reasons....

On another note Chris, can you say which type of grille is used to fill the side vents on the T6 bonnet - I seemed to recall it being a Triumph 2000 / 2500, but couldn't remember whether it was a Mk1 or 2 and whether one is sufficient to do both sides?

James

Gosh, Chris, what a disappointment, but you clearly have a good company to back up their guarantees.

I hope they will tell you what happened - again! - so you can tell us, and not keep it as a commercial secret.

Did you say earlier that on this engine the crank pulley is not keyed to the crank?  That it relies on the torque of the pulley bolt to keep it tight on the shaft?  And that the bolt had come loose?

If so, surely the cause is there?

JOhn

It's actually been common for cam sprockets not to have have keys for quite a while - allows the timing to to be accurately set using cam locking tools. This also results in the occasional valve bending mishap.

The loss of keyway on the crank has come later but is also quite common now.  Saves a machining operation and fastener technology is good enough now to make it safe in a manufacturing environment, though perhaps not so much in a service environment!

Having said that, my (1996) A6 does not have a true key, just a diagonal notch in the nose of the crank and a matching pip on the sprocket.  The massive, M20-fine bolt has to be done up to 100Nm then turned through a further 270º!

Nick

• 1 month later...
Well the New engine idea was scrapped last week as non of Jon's current spare engines have a good enough crank. So instead, he brought all replacement parts for my current engine with him this morning. This turned out to be a Quick change over and was completed this morning but unfortunately my throttle bodies rubber o-ring seals have given up and thus we couldn't start the engine and make sure all is well. I feel quite confident it will be fine but we will know later this week. So tomorrow I'll need to order new ones from ATpower and a couple hose clamps for ones that need replacing but later next week Spiddy should be back on the road.

• 4 months later...

Well, today is a sad day and also a happy day. Last week I made the final decision to move the spitfire on as I have neither the time or the will to carry on but there is more to the story.

So,

The rebuilt top end slipped its timing again and ran rough. I removed the engine and handed it back to Jon at Shawspeed for him to strip and rebuild it under warranty. That was a couple months back, today was the day I went to collect the engine however after asking Jon if the warranty would transfer to a new owner if I sold it on ebay (as I told him I was selling the spitfire) and he straight away refunded my hole cost. He said he built loads of this spec motor and never had these issues. He apologized and we shuck hands. Top bloke, really tried his best to make this work. He was definitely out of pocket on this and stuck to his word even after rebuilding the motor. So whats the plan with Spiddy. Well, now with the engine gone, he has a space that needs filling.

This is not going to be my job though, the EFI system will be removed as will the gearbox,flywheel/clutch and propshaft and the car will be put to the point where the new owner only needs to fit either a triumph engine and box back into it or start their own journey with another engine swap. I think this is the best way to move the car on without breaking it. This also means I can use the EFI bits on another project. doing it this way will give me a bit of cash back meaning I can let the car go for a little less cash yet with a fighting chance. It could be on the road within a weekend with the correct donor. The clocks are still there, its still got the LSD Quaife diff, camber compensator etc its still got all the bits that made this car truly epic to drive and with the fibreglass body which now fits it just needs cleaning up and painting. Easy project for someone who wants one. Its sad as this car will always bring back many many great memories and I never got round to fitting a proper exhaust manifold to release the extra ponies from the Zetec SE 1.6 however its a relief knowing it will be gone. As can be seen in this thread its been a very bumpy ride and it is a very special car from a box of bits. At least the next owner will have a easier job to put it back on the road.

Thanks all for reading, will be listing the car on ebay and car and classic this week.

If anyone is interested in a Type 9 gearbox with shortened remote, uprated hubs, better first gear ratio with only 3,000 miles on it pm me.

Also if anyones after the throttle bodies, light weight Zetec se Flywheel which has the complete punto clutch set on it pm me. 

Finally if anyone wants a set of conversion engine mounts pm me I've got about 10 sets to give away with the words doc. This conversion was really amazing, everyone who drove it loved it. Its been a pleasure but now on to the next project.

Cheers Chris.

Posting my question as it may help others (and I can't be bothered looking back through the thread to check  :ermm: )

If anyone is interested in a Type 9 gearbox with shortened remote, uprated hubs, better first gear ratio with only 3,000 miles on it pm me.

Is it the short or long input shaft nose version Chris?

thanks,

Ian.

Edited by Sprint95m

Out of alllll those on the internet- This has been my favourite project thread and a great source of inspiration for my own projects. Im sorry to see it end- but thankyou- for starting the story and sharing the journey with us.Hell, If I lived in the uk still-I'd be thrilled to take it on. Hopefully whoever does continues the thread, it'd be a wonderfull thing to see the life of the car documented.

Cheers,,

Hi Ian, its the short input shaft. The correct one for four cylinder conversions. This box cost over a grand as it has the uprated parts and different first gear in it. 

On the RBRR front we completed the RBRR in 2014, we also did the monte carlo Glasgow to Reims as well as many other drives. In total since being built the T6 has covered about 33,000miles. Ive had my fun out of it and its a very well sorted car.

• 4 months later...