The mean spit

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It survived the winter, all seems fine, i deliberatly didnt bolt down the head as there was no way i could get coolant into the system for winter.

Im not even allowed to touch it for another month or two, and the audi is abandoned the other side of the town, with some kinda fueling problem. Not allowed to drive so not too fussed at the moment by either.

IMG_5227.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

New coil has arrived, ordered new magnecor leads, and the dizzy will be ordered in the new year and then i can remove megajolt when finally allowed to walk again.

Actually it was years ago, the regulations state that electronic ignition is acceptable, when building the car i took that to mean megajolt would be acceptable, however my mot guy is a competitor and when he saw it and new my intentions informed me of the other bit of the regs which states electronic control units are not allowed.

So megajolt is out.

Combine that with changing the waterpump back to std or even alloy means that the car is then elligable for historic hillclimb events.

If its so wonderfull fit it to your own cars, but it aint for me. End of discussion i've explained it too many times.

Just shelled out £500 on all the parts to convert the ignition, new set of magnecors and 123 dizzie on its way to me.

Hi Matt, understand your reasons for this change - now sweat 9 same as I am always expaining as to why I have non-programmable ignition). The 123 counts the same as Luminition or any of the similar modules but has the advantage of offering an advance curve "close" to what is required.

However, concerned about your costs.  It was a couple of years ago but I paid about £185 for the dizzy and $30 for the coil. Even with the Magnecors, £500 seems like a lot????

dizzy was �280! quite an increase. magnecors �50, coil �30, alloy crank pulley �100. ok so the alloy crank pulley wasnt necessary but whilst im ditching the steel one there is not much point in replacing with another steel one.

its one of the reasons i didnt go for the 123 tune, its an extra £150, there is no way i can justify the cost of that. its already an expensive leason in hindsight.

I bought mine from SC Parts about 3 years ago, I think there was an offer on. They are now offering them for £265 !! Quite an increase!! Having said that, a "new" lucas distributor, correctly built for your advance curve and fitted with  a reasonable electronic module?? It would still have the crappy Lucas cap and rotor. The 123 is well engineered with Bosch parts which should last well. I've seen "rebuilt" Lucas dizzies for over £100 and they've cleaned and fitted with 2nd hand parts. I got one from TLD some years ago for £80 that was exactly that (oh he'd filed a bit off the stator plate to limit the max advance).

nah john im looking at the SMRC Classics and Sports Series, and the Scottish Hillclimb Championship.

Look closely at the rules, i missed the fact whilst building mine as it said electronic ignition was ok, however further down the rules it says that computer controll or ecu boxes are not allowed in any aspect of the car.

having spoken to the scruiteneers, they say they are actively working to outlaw these units as there were a couple of people last year who had them disguised somehow in the car.

you fail to get the point james, the 123 is still a distributer, sure it has some circuitry in it, but at the end of the day it is a dizzy. Megajolt or squirt has no distributer whatsoever and an ecu box connected to it, a distributer is required and an ecu is outlawed. Electronic ignition is allowed, ecu is not.

you seem determined to pick at my every word james, have i wronged you?

It's the same— it has a sensor to pick up camshaft speed and a MAP sensor to pick up vacuum there is nothing mechanical about it apart from the spark distribution. The curves are just preset and are linear for both vacuum and mechanical advance.

I will admit that it's not programmable— which is where I guess the advantage is.