The mean spit

Here, my old chap just had his boiler replaced (no jokes about my Mum thanks, she's a jewel). Left-over pipe lagging of a larger bore than I'd previously seen was left lying about. Hmmm. I think it'll do, with the requisite tape wrapped around it. Witness:

DSCN0622.jpg

I'm quite sure it's not as lovely and squidgy as the "real" stuff, and won't compress as much, but....

BTW, I'm going to have to do something with the finish on that petrol tank. Ho hum.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Matt,

Want me to send you a piece of the stuff I use?  It's a denser foam than the pipe insulation but not as stiff as the HighDollar NASCAR stuff.  It'll be red but you're gonna cover it anyway... ;)

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2390

The expensive stuff may be TOO stiff for a helmetless head?

http://www.rollbarpadding.com/home.html

Yeah but that's the super hard stuff.  Wouldn't help your noggin I think.

Here's the blurb on it from Pegasus racing.  Interestingly it's about the same in Dollars as in Pounds.

Part No.: 2391-Color

SFI Roll Bar Padding for 1.125" to 1.50" Bar, 3 foot length

SFI 45.1 Rated Roll Bar Padding. Impact test proven effective, highly recommended by SCCA and required by many other racing organizations. 36 inch sections available in black, blue, or red. Half-round C shape covers one side of tubing as small as 1.12 inch diameter and as large as 1.5 inch diameter. The inside surface is lined with a pressure-sensitve adhesive. You may want to augment this adhesive with a few zip ties. Two pieces are shown in photo to illustrate front and back of padding. Approximately 3/4 inch thick in the center.

We also offer SFI Rated Roll Bar Padding for 1.625 - 2.0 Inch Diameter Tubing, Part No. 2395.

Note: SFI-rated foam padding is designed to prevent a helmeted head from contacting a solid object. It is very stiff and does not give except in hard impacts.

Emphasis is mine...

What's your recommendation James? I don't like the idea of a sore head. I'd rather a sore wallet, I s'pose.

I don't - I only borrowed the car for a couple of months :)

I reckon a roll bar is as likely to kill you as it is to save you if your head can hit it....

My issue is slightly different to the rest of yours then, i dont hit my head ever off the roll bar, in normal situations it is not possible, however i know should there be a major impact it could happen, in such a situation, the normal pipe lagging wont do a thing as the head will have too much force and the lagging will be nion useless, not sure about that stuff steve looks similar to me. The fia stuff is gonna be hard on the head, but not as hard as the bar itself.

Whooop pass, nothing pulled up appart from two bolts 2mm too short and not hitting the nyloc.

Only problem that i had is my definition of the rules is slightly wrong, i cant run the megajolt in competition. doh.

By god the car is scary in the wet though, no traction at all when the torque comes in, i was slidding everywhere. fun but rabbit in the headlights moment.

Found out why the rear camber is wrong aswell seems one of the rear avo's has given up the ghost.

thatd be a fail though shirley?

That's why you take your car to someone you know - so you can promise to take it home and fix it straight afterward, no?  

I had to replace the rear right swinging arm on my XJS as soon as I came home from the last MOT. :)

BTW, are you allowed to call Matt Shirley in public now?  :o

car booked in for its MOT on friday fingers crossed! the mot guy is a good friend and local racer so will ask him on what is allowed as rollcage padding in the local race series.

I've been using pipe lagging completley covered in insulation tape for years with no problems (I cover it in tape to keep the water out plus it matches the car better - colour coded cars go faster). Did try the FIA stuff for a while but found it to be too soft and easily damaged/snagged/waterlogged - may have been effective new but rapidly deteriorated.  In the MSA blue book I'm not sure it quotes what foam to use, rather just that all parts of the cage that can come into contact with the body must be covered.  Will take a closer read of the book later.

Note: I am always wearing a helmet when driving my car, Snell tests are done on helmet impacts on uncovered rollcage sections so I figure I'm more that protected and the padding just stops my helmet getting scratched/chipped by the cage under wear and tear as well as appeasing the rulemakers.

Andy

The shock was a 10sec fix, we just dialed the passenger side one to 10 and the drivers to 4 and they are pretty even. I think only an incredibly arsey mot inspector wouldnt allow you to do that.

Will need replaced soon but will do just now.

And yes roy im just about to go out and drive it, needed to change the camber first as it was too light on its toes this morning.