Diesel Fuel Addatives

Hello Leaned Friends

So as the title says after advice.

I was out in the Yeti today over to the Triumph and MG show and it ran perfectly on the way there 70+

But on the way back it was running fine and 20miles into jouney home so nice and warm etc!

Then suddenly the Glow plug symboll came on Yellow and started slowing down then stopped with the engine managment light on and would not re start!

So I did the engine service reset that you do after a service and then after a couple goes it started again and ran like normal the last 15miles home at 70MPH!

So after looking on Tinterweb it turns out that light covers all sorts of errors???

Sooting up seems to be the common thread? this was the 1st long run since before Christmas?(most of the time the Memsahib local)

So I was wondering is it worth using some type of addative to clean it out a bit?

So next question which is the best or cost effective? in your experience?

The car has only done 30,000miles and is 7.25 years old(Spitty has done more!)

Thoughts?

Roger

ps Bought a NOS water pump off Clive and some cheap cellulose thinners for cleaning£8! and some Nice Fudge for the Memsahib!

That light does indeed cover all kinds of sins. Reduced power suggests it’s going into “limp home” mode.

Several possible reasons for this and you really need to read the error codes that will be stored. 

The sooting up might refer to DPF filter (if it has one?) though I thought that had it’s own dedicated light. Could also mean that variable vanes are sticking in the turbo and causing over boosting.

Hello Nick

Moderns have to many bloody sensors!!

Is this the redline gear oil we use in our Diffs

Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil For High Power Applications 946ml 58204 | eBay

I think it is and it maybe expensive but Spitty loves it and its cheaper than rebuids even when done by ourselves? and there is only thimble full in there so enough for 2 diffs

Roger

ps still think a slug of jolup in the fuel might help clean it up a bit? but which?

Yes, that’s the stuff. Maybe slightly cheaper here

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1023-red-line-heavy-shockproof-gear-oil-75w-140.aspx

(less postage by the looks at least)

I occasionally use Toolstation diesel injector cleaner in the A6. That’s old-school semi-clockwork diesel though. 

You’ll need to get it scanned, or buy a cheap(ish) scan tool.  Your car is later than anything I’ve dealt with and I think you’ll need something that is Canbus capable.

Try shell  vpower diesel and a bit of a blast at higher revs once it’s warm. 
doesn’t need to be fast. 
just hold in 3rd instead of top for a few miles. 

with that age and mileage a petrol would have been a better choice as diesel don’t like lots of short cold runs. 

Edited by Hamish
  • Like 1

Hello All 

I agree I wish I had a petrol 2wd Yeti now(but 4x4 seemed a good  idea at the time as we live a small Bridle track and have been snowed in before now!)

Plus at that time we were told Diesels were the things to Buy!!(lying ***** ards)

But what this Numpty forgot is we are retired so if snowed in so what?

With hind sight the 17k it cost I could have bought a Triumph/Ford fully restord and waxoiled  etc and would been just as good and I could fix it or even the garage at reasonable prices!!!

I wish now we had not long ago sold the Moggy Traveller (needed  a bit of work but easy!!!! and our mileage!!!)

Roger the Daft old Bugger?

Master Mechanic recommended for my V70 D5 that one or two times a year I should drive until fuel is low and then fill up at least one time with V Power / Aral Ultimate or something similar. No longer issues since I do that. 

• Like 1

Hello All

I thought I should post this here as well!

The Skoda Yeti problem seems (touch wood ok)

The tank was down on the red so on the way out Tuesday I put 60lt of Shell V Plus Diesel in as several on here said and quite a few on line as well the gave it a few Italian tune ups going to TR lunch meeting and coming back and all seems good

I think a bit of Coke/Soot! broke off and got stuck in the bits that affect the engine due to to much chugging around ?

I have told the Memsahib to stay in 4th gear unless going at 60/70MPH the difference in economy will nothing

4th is 1 to 1 5&6 are O/Drives and at 70 mph the RPM is 2000(just!)

Roger