3 sisters (Wigan) sprint Sunday 13/6

Hamish

8 hours ago, John I said:

That’s close. Good effort, how did the oil temperature/cooling work out?

26 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Good going, your mods seems to have worked.

If you want sunny hot, come and join me at work, 31 yesterday.

Thanks guys. I am quite pleased to be so close to shaun. He must be pushing 150+bhp I would imagine and it full race single seat no fluffy interior etc etc - I don’t know what it will weigh  ? He is a good driver too and travels all over to do events  

mine is 20 years older 116bhp and just under a tonne. And I do 6 events a year that are the 6 nearest.

not sure about my mods all the temps were very good BUT I now have oil blowing out of the dipstick hole despite a big 28mm crank case breather and a 10+mm rocker breather going to a catch tank that it free venting  the lid of this tank was also trying to blow off or a push fit with a rudimentary lock pin. ( will drain this to see what I have in there)

I fear my over exuberance and gear ratios have meant too much over revving  

ie holding that gear rather than changing up due to an imminent corner that  would then need another change down !!!

I hope the engine last the season ( and an August track day)

so I think I will be reverting back to what it was before :blush: may be my oil just shouldn’t be hot ?

it may be a great mod for a pure road car ?

Thanks RR i must admit i had to google what it was and i think i understand - not sure I'm at the stage of fitting stuff the the exhaust ?especially as a new engine is due in the autumn.

i hope this one is ok and revert to the old adage if it works and it aint broke don't mess with it !!

so could be going back to ordinary oil cooler and if the new engine builder wants it and wants a stat for it he can say so !!

but thanks

H

Good result! Seems like the engine still pulls well, even if it is panting a bit now.

Not sure it’s really got all that much to do with warmer oil.  Suspect it’s just getting a bit worn after plenty of exuberant use.  Try a compression test or leak down test if you are worried, this might show if there’s a problem developing with a particular cylinder.

16 hours ago, Hamish said:

Great day but hot. 
lots of runs

class results here

https://www.timeteamlivetiming.co.uk/RaceClasses/Details?ClassName=TR&Times=Split&Type=T&Run=0

shaun in his full race dolly sprint 1st with best time 88.31

Hamish 2nd TR3a 89.35

peter 3rd TR7v8 105.31

Looks good, you left the V8 for dust!

Hot day though - wonder if that contributes to a sweaty engine as well as a sweaty driver :biggrin:

Have you got any restrictions in the breather setup which might have clogged slightly, perhaps? 

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Good result! Seems like the engine still pulls well, even if it is panting a bit now.

Not sure it’s really got all that much to do with warmer oil.  Suspect it’s just getting a bit worn after plenty of exuberant use.  Try a compression test or leak down test if you are worried, this might show if there’s a problem developing with a particular cylinder.

good idea Nick i have a compression tester.

i popped into the garage at lunch time ( i have to be very disciplined working from home !!)

and emptied the breather catch tank a good 2/3rd of a mug full of good oil ie  not moisture laden mayo stuff.

i need to start it up and see if the lid still  wants to puff off as it did yesterday.

and work on the videos that i am sure will highlight ALL my misdemeanours :sad:

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

question and help please on compression tests 

all plugs out  

squirt of oil in all bores or just for the one being tested each time?

2-3? Revolutions per cylinder ?

looking for discrepancies rather than total pressures?

I'm more of a novice than anyone but have generally spun the engine until the pressure stops increasing, which is maybe 4-6 turns usually. 

Oil in the bores, not sure but would think put it in the cylinder under test each time, otherwise your last one will surely have less than the first.

Warm engine preferably but not essential.

Disable ignition and remove all plugs

Fit compression gauge to the chosen cylinder 

with the throttle held wide crank fo 5 compression strokes (5 is my preferred, others may say more. You should get most of the way to the maximum in the first 2 or 3….. most important thing is the same number for all.

repeat for the remaining cylinders.

If you want to do a wet compression test, you then add oil to each bore and test again. The idea being that if the oil gives you a big boost in compression you have leaky rings, whereas if the change is small either the rings are fine or your problem is valves. 

As you engine runs well apart from crank pressure we know it’s likely a ring or problem and are looking for a judgement on whether there’s a distinct problem with one pot (broken ring maybe) or just a general wear-induced bagginess across all 4.

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

squirt of oil in all bores or just for the one being tested each time?

Just the one being tested each time. Also, strongly suggest sticking a rag over the spark plug holes once tested, to prevent a fine coating of oil over anything and everything on that side of the engine........

11 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

with the throttle held wide crank fo 5 compression strokes (5 is my preferred, others may say more. You should get most of the way to the maximum in the first 2 or 3….. most important thing is the same number for all.

You certain on that one Nick? Surely once max pressure is reached it will not change so much on continued spinning? I would have thought counting how many strokes it takes to full compression would say more? Or was that what you meant? (I'm doing a Roger and having a night on the vino, now that I have reached good ol' blighty again!!)

Phil

33 minutes ago, thebrookster said:

You certain on that one Nick? Surely once max pressure is reached it will not change so much on continued spinning? I would have thought counting how many strokes it takes to full compression would say more? Or was that what you meant?

Welcome back Phil...... wasn't aware you were eligible for parole (as it were) so soon....... well it seems soon to me - probably not so much to you!

Anyhow..... yes, that is basically what I mean - and indeed you will find those who say that the "jump" with each stroke and it's proportion of the total (the bigger and sooner the better) are more important than the final total.  This is why I say 5 strokes when 10 is quite often given as the "correct" number as I take the view that any engine that can't manage full pressure within  5 is probably past its best anyway.

In this case I think it's the comparison between the 4 that is most interesting - would you agree?