Fund raising begging post

Hamish

Hi folks

i am afraid this is a shameless request for donations to aid my wife and her extraordinary challenge in the name of her mum. Who is undergoing cancer treatment.

Suzie is planning and training to run around the island of Anglesey on the coastal path in a 3 day organised race. 
135 miles the middle day being 66miles
http://www.ringofire.co.uk

she tells more here

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/suzie-roscoe?utm_id=25

you won’t be alone other Triumph enthusiasts    have already contributed. she is a TRR member and driver  ie one of us.

thank you for looking and supporting. 

AA0D703E-CC8B-47D2-A0BD-E1ABFD213CF8.jpeg

Wilco, Hamish, glad to give support.

Has the project tried to get local newspaper publicity?     I tried to do so for my DriveIt Day Childline thing.    Our local rag has a website, with a 'Contact Us' page, with emails and phone numbers.   I emailed the editor and 'chief reporter', twice each, no reply, I phoned their desk numbers, which cut off after two rings, as did every other phone listed.   I got a robot voice from the reception desk, that offered five options, all of which "Are not taking calls at this time", permanently.  So much for loacl 'news'.

Mind you, years ago, it was the centenary of the first general anaesthetic, ever, and organised "Anaesthesia Day" locally as part of a national event.  I put a lot of effort into an exhibition in our local shoppng centre, and asked the local rag to publicise it.    TYhey didn't, and we got almost as many of the public in as hospital staff who were there.     Nothing appeared in any of the nationals either, let alone local papers, despite the support of the College and Association of Anaesthetists .    I rang the news desk of the Guardian about it, and was told that "Every day is a 'Day',  tomorrow is National Biscuit Day.  It's not "News"!"    So good luck!

Thanks guys 

the fund raising has only just gone live and has been very well supported so far. 

we will try and get press interest that will be home based for Suzie, the hospital unit location (Bangor NWales) and her mums location on Anglesey.

she has a garmin watch that tracks “everything” both running pace data, geo terrain. Etc etc 

she has been training for a few months already. 

her commitment to this will be all year and as you know not just the event. 

thanks for the support

H

Thanks Peter 

I have heard these potential risks associated with exsercise. 
we have been very cautious all through COVID virtually shielding so that we can visit aged and ill relatives at the drop of a hat if needs be.

we have taken a judgement on the associated risks versus the training requirements. 

Thus she will be cautiously continuing her training plan.

H

20 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thanks Peter 

I have heard these potential risks associated with exsercise. 
we have been very cautious all through COVID virtually shielding so that we can visit aged and ill relatives at the drop of a hat if needs be.

we have taken a judgement on the associated risks versus the training requirements. 

Thus she will be cautiously continuing her training plan.

H

Hamish, I'm at the opposite end of the atletcism spectrum and only chanced across super-athlete immunity when searching for data on cathelicidins and D3, here:

https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/id/eprint/53109/2/2015_He_et_al_The_effect_of_14_weeks_of_vitamin_D3_supplementation.pdf

Peter

We had a simpletons theory as to why athletic / sports people got it bad. 
deep breathing and the full use of lungs so any harmful pathogens get wide spread and deeply embedded in the lungs together with an attitude of powering through an illness with a body that hasn’t any excess capacity to deal with additional burdens. 

but it was just a thought

4 hours ago, Hamish said:

We had a simpletons theory as to why athletic / sports people got it bad. 
deep breathing and the full use of lungs so any harmful pathogens get wide spread and deeply embedded in the lungs together with an attitude of powering through an illness with a body that hasn’t any excess capacity to deal with additional burdens. 

but it was just a thought

D3 defences will catch the bugs even deep in lungs. It will also, given decent supplementation, ameliorate muscle damage; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0749806317312823  

when fighting an infection D3 does get used up, the serum level drops. So better to aim  high on the dose. Holick - the grandee of D3 research and clinical utilisation - himself takes 6000 IU pd nad has for decades. It gives him a physiological serum level of ca 150 nmol/L. He advises 4000 to 6000 IU per day,  noting that the Inst Med made a factor of 10 error in thier advised dosage that they have refused to correct.

Suzie may know about magnesium supplementation, our diet is borderline on RDA and worst in soft tapwater. There is some evidence that muscle cramps are Mg-deficiency related. D3 also acts to improve Mg ( and Ca) uptake from gut.

Omega 3 fatty acids also worth considering, they act to resolve inflammation, especially in conjunction with low dose aspirin (75 mg).

Peter

• 4 months later...

Many of you will have seen on here that my wife Suzie was attempting her first ultra marathon off road race.

she successfully finished the 3 day challenge and in time and did find all the way point books to take a proof of attendance page with her

friday

1pm to 10pm

35.86miles

saturday

6am to midnight

66.39 miles

sunday

6am to 3.30 pm

32.10 miles

135 miles of the Anglesey coastal path in less than 36hours

a MASSIVE THANK YOU for all of you that have supported her over her months of training and the event both for the charity and her well being.

The charity donations have been awe inspiring thank you you can see the totals here.

http://www.ringofire.co.uk

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/suzie-roscoe

THANK YOU ALL

99CB31DB-E226-48F0-9D32-376F21BA2F63.jpeg

41138413-FE99-49A7-831A-6BB6B41A6895.jpeg

6FB4EB8F-9C71-4E2B-829D-85DCBDDD3B9A.jpeg

4096FD98-82A4-4CB2-8B89-A86C00F9CC4B.jpeg

• Like 1

thanks guys

i don't know how she did it and i was there.

what the times don't show was the 45 min drive to and from where we were staying morning and evening

so the alarm was going off at  4.15 to get ready and eat and drive to each days signing and transponder fitting on at 5.30 for the 6am start

friday night vey little sleep may be 2.5 hours "rest"

saturday night ( well sunday morning really) about 3 hours sleep

we had planned refilling stops at the designated check points so we caught up with her then.

amazing person i am sooo proud of her.

thank you for the donations she told me that you guys are still donating - its a great cause thank you again.

Pics from tracker screen shots and an emotional reunion with her mum, who thanks to the fundraising charity suzie was running for is with us to see her daughter be even more of a super girl !!

24CE6F64-DC5B-426B-A924-EECB20C085DB.jpeg

568940C6-D053-455D-979D-7BC13E98BE15.jpeg

DFFEA189-0912-4917-AC09-C2824CB55055.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Pics