Girling AR Calipers for Triumph GT6

Hello All,

I'm trying to determine if Girling AR calipers will fit the GT6 upright/caliper mounting bracket for the 16P/16PB.
They've both got the same distance between mounting centres of 3.5", but other than rotor thickness, unsure about other dimensions necessary to confirm if they fit.

Does anyone know what the offset between the mounting face of the caliper and the rotor centerline is for the 16P/16PB?

I'd read somewhere that they may have been used on racing Spitfires, and  do know they would have been used on Lotus and open wheel cars which used the Herald or Vitesse uprights.

Kind Regards,
AJ

2 hours ago, saleon said:

Does anyone know what the offset between the mounting face of the caliper and the rotor centerline is for the 16P/16PB.

Hi AJ,

just measured two different 16p callipers and figures I get are 27.0mm on one and 27.6mm on second from inner calliper mounting face to centre line of calliper. Hope this helps

john.

Thanks John!

The replica AR calipers from C&G have an offset of 25.4mm from the inner caliper mounting face to the centre line of the caliper/rotor disc.
Other I've seen from B&G are 24.765mm. I'm wondering if this 2-3mm difference is significant enough to care about?

AJ

@saleon hi AJ, the rotor slot on my callipers was about 16/16.5mm. I think the rotors are 12mm thick so about 2mm clearance either side. If you are using original style rotors then I think there will be an interference fit on the disc face furthest from the mounting because you have dragged the calliper centre line towards the mounting point by 2-3mm.

You would have to use discs with an increased offset (over the original offset) of the same or similar size as you are reducing the mounting point to centre line distance by. So 2-3mm to keep disc clear of and in middle of calliper.

hope that makes sense.

john

you could of course just shim out the callipers on its mounting by the necessary 2-3mm to centre up the original disc provided the Cali per slot allows.

Edited by John I
Another thought

17 hours ago, saleon said:

I'm wondering if this 2-3mm difference is significant enough to care about?

I would say yes it is based on John’s numbers and I think it’s in the wrong direction to allow shimming, though my little monkey may be looking at it backwards.... 

Why the AR anyway? I guess aluminium means lighter, but other than that I don’t see much gain over the original 16P/PB? 

Nick

22 hours ago, John I said:

the rotor slot on my callipers was about 16/16.5mm. I think the rotors are 12mm thick so about 2mm clearance either side. If you are using original style rotors then I think there will be an interference fit on the disc face furthest from the mounting because you have dragged the calliper centre line towards the mounting point by 2-3mm.

The rotor slot is something I hadn't thought of, the maximum rotor width for these AR calipers appears to be 11.1mm, and I believe the GT6 rotors are 13mm wide, so this might not work for that reason

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Why the AR anyway? I guess aluminium means lighter, but other than that I don’t see much gain over the original 16P/PB? 

Nick

Lighter, and a bit of period fancyness? Shimming might b=move it in the wrong direction, but might milling the surface of the mounting brakcet to remove some material move it in the other direction?

AJ

8 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I think it’s in the wrong direction to allow shimming, though my little monkey may be looking at it backwards.... 

Sorry It’s me that was looking at it backwards/upside down :teehee: well spotted the deliberate mistake, ooops! Shimming the calliper off the hub is not on as it leads to all sorts of clearance problems with the track rod end and that’s close enough as it is.

john

Previous caliper discussion here

Don't really like the the idea of shaving down brake mounting components, even if it's not by much.  Other thing to check carefully is pad availability in different materials and costs of......

The original Type 16 is a pretty good, rigid design that is easy to rebuild and has good parts availability.  Also a good range of pads available.  Can easily be spaced for vented discs too.  Just watch out for the modern repro ones - at least some of which are not made right, giving a really long pedal.

Edit: also to note that some in the USA (and maybe Oz) like to use Early Toyota Hilux calipers on the GT6 and also TR6.  I think these are 4 pot and readily available, but I'm not quite sure what functional advantage they bring over the T16.  They are also heavy