I've advocated these, especially for injector applications, and pointed out many manufacturers use the same switch, which has to speak for its reliability, and explains why so many are on sale on eBay, used.   I've also advocated the three-terminal type, that will light up a warning  on the dash if it triggers.   The problem with ebay is that the switches are often sold without a connector.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-lFm-UKxuNqVyLYkQhFEi8_M8joFg9jDWCCMScuXEJZE84iFYVCunrc8KX395aA9S0hUriw5vVzIvInsUz30dV1Q41i8yESXuzZc5dTnRO3r4Iq_DBFBeaQ&usqp=CAE

Car Buillder Solutions are marketing a kit, of a new three-terminal switch, with connector.  See: 

John

(No connection with CBS, just a useful product, I think!)

I have always wondered if this is really needed, on a crash the engine will either shut off and the ecu won't send a signal for the fuel pump to run, or after the crash the engine will keep running and consuming the fuel, so no danger... I know they are there for a reason and the manufacturer will not spend in what is not needed, but is this the case of a regulatory issue? I would really want to know your opinion. 

Cheer

Alfredo 

6 hours ago, Alfredo said:

I have always wondered if this is really needed, on a crash the engine will either shut off and the ecu won't send a signal for the fuel pump to run, or after the crash the engine will keep running and consuming the fuel, so no danger... I know they are there for a reason and the manufacturer will not spend in what is not needed, but is this the case of a regulatory issue? I would really want to know your opinion. 

Cheer

Alfredo 

Is it common to have the ECU controlling the pump? I haven't got an ECU but I have got an electric pump, and ought to put an inertia switch in. However the car is currently held firmly in its own inertia

47 minutes ago, PeteStupps said:

Is it common to have the ECU controlling the pump?

Hello Pete

Yes on my Microsquirt it runs for 3 seconds then stops if the engine is not trying start but I still have cut off switch just in case?

Roger

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Yes on my Microsquirt it runs for 3 seconds then stops if the engine is not trying start but I still have cut off switch just in case?

This..... and if you have the car  on it's side or roof and still running, it's really much better/safer all round if it stops.  Inertia switches are simple and cheap - so why not?

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

This..... and if you have the car  on it's side or roof and still running, it's really much better/safer all round if it stops.  Inertia switches are simple and cheap - so why not?

Yep. Any electric fuel pump should have one in my opinion

I have an original TR6 one in the Spitfire has the added benefit that you can manually trip it as an extra device to slow down the light finger brigade.

39 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

I have an original TR6 one in the Spitfire has the added benefit that you can manually trip it as an extra device to slow down the light finger brigade

Hello all

When I had the Huco fitted I had a push push off switch for that reason but the biggest problem most of the time I forgot to use it!!! (and I was younger then!)

Now thinking about it I can not remember if it is still in circuit on the EFI (Now I know I am getting old !) but then again who is going to steal a Spitfire that is not Konkers? (not the lads that do donuts etc!)

Roger 

ps how they do it in India! full safety gear!

P1060213.JPG