How does the search function work?

I wanted (not for me, for a friend) to find anyone who had fitted a Spitfire with an Alfa V6 engine, a not trivial, but doable project, IMHO

I searched for 'Spitfire "Alfa V6" ', with the end part in quotes -> 4K-odd hits, that seemed to be for either 'Spitfire' or 'Alfa'.

Right, let's focus down a bit - use the Boolean search words, I used 'Spitfire AND "Alfa V6' which should get hits that have both.  -> 67K hits!!!!!   That's not right!  there should be fewer that have them together!

Or, of course, I'm not using it right!

Any ideas!

John

Edited by JohnD

Under the search box, (after you have clicked to start typing) there appears a box of options. The e=second one down is by default search any word, but click the one under which is all words.... That should cut it down a bit!

I don't understand why search facilities are not "all words" by default.....

Thnaks Zetec!  Yes, clicking on the "All" narrows it a bit (28 hits)    

So the advice to use OR just means that?   And it doesn't use a Boolean search (AND, OR, EITHER, NEITHER) at all?

No. The guy I’m thinking of was quite well on with his project and it was definitely a kit based on a Triumph chassis.

I’ve had maybe 3 who were/are building kits on Triumph chassis but only one Alfa. 

I don’t know much about Alfa stuff, but I imagine the gearbox will be a challenge. Can’t offhand think of any RWD Alfa V6 cars that don’t have a rear mounted transaxle rather than a conventional gearbox.

Anything is possible given sufficient talent, time and money, (or even just sheer determination and absence of fussiness), but just because you can doesn’t mean you should....