My wife has a 2009 Mk 6 Fiesta as the family hack. Great little car to drive but some questionable design decisions in the construction.

In the last 6 months it has started to leak into the boot from somewhere into the space behind the slam panel and then draining into the spare wheel well. She has had it in to the independent garage on three occasions now and it still leaks. And apparently getting worse too.

So this afternoon I stripped out all the trim from the back. Found a couple of dodgy grommets that were obviously weeping but none near the slam panel. However there are lots of overlapping joints in the area of the flange under the boot seal which could be the culprit.

There was evidence of some kind of white mastic around the flange, non-setting but not super sticky like the black screen seal. More like putty. Does anyone know what this stuff is called as I want to get some more?

Cheers folks

There used to be something called DumDum (by Eldro) that fits your description but I believe NLA, though I did find this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUM-DUM-DUMDUM-MORRIS-MINOR-BOLT-ON-PANEL-SEALER-BUTYL-ROLL-SEALANT-BONDING-/371131714218

(The stuff I remember came in a tin)

If you just want to keep water out, Tigerseal takes a bit of beating,  Sticks like the proverbial - especially to fabrics and human skin!

Suggesting checking around the rear light clusters for leakage - absolutely prime location

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

There used to be something called DumDum (by Eldro) that fits your description but I believe NLA, though I did find this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUM-DUM-DUMDUM-MORRIS-MINOR-BOLT-ON-PANEL-SEALER-BUTYL-ROLL-SEALANT-BONDING-/371131714218

(The stuff I remember came in a tin)

If you just want to keep water out, Tigerseal takes a bit of beating,  Sticks like the proverbial - especially to fabrics and human skin!

Suggesting checking around the rear light clusters for leakage - absolutely prime location

Cheers Nick. I remember dum-dum. Might try the other stuff you suggest. 

Reluctant to use Tigetseal as the first option for exactly the characteristics you mention!

As a first try I'd prefer to try something non permanent so I can experiment before gluing anything together permanently. Just in case I have to take anything back off for access.

Light cluster yes. Garage already welded that on with tigerseal :blink:

Same with some of the seams visible with the boot open. 

Had the same problem with an old Mazda once.

Always funny standing at the petrol station filling up my car while - at the same time - draining lots of water out from the spare wheel well by removing a grommet there. When someone was pointing out the fuel was running out, I always just told it was normal on a Mazda :-)

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, JMH said:

When someone was pointing out the fuel was running out, I always just told it was normal on a Mazda :-)

:lol:

Same thing with my Hillman Avenger back in the day.

Mind you this happened on my Scimitar when a perished blanking cap fell off a redundant fitting on the petrol tank. Full to the brim with 20 gallons of petrol. 

Soon had a lake under the car. Was completely safe though because the attendant put up a cone. 

Managed to fix it with a pen cap taken from the attendant but got covered in petrol in the process.

Thanks for the suggestions gents I'll let you know how it goes.

An update. I ordered the butyl sealant which duly arrived. However...

It has a very different consistency and stick properties to the dum-dum putty I remember. Firmer and with a lot less initial tack. As a result it seems to much prefer sticking to itself unless maintained under load for a bit. Not much use for filling small gaps between existing panels which is what I was trying to do unfortunately.

Since my last post on this it has been almost completely rain free in Glasgow (all very good) so no opportunity to observe where water might be coming in (a bit more inconvenient).

So resorted to good old fashioned black windscreen seal. Horrid stick stuff but as the places I'd identified and possible culprits are hidden under the boot seal not really. I am also suspecting that the boot seal itself is not in the best of health where it joins at the bottom of the aperture. Something to keep an eye on.

On the basis of the advice given above I also had a look behind the rear light clusters. The nylon inserts that take a couple of fixing screws are supposed to be sealed with a soft fibre gasket. These all looked a bit iffy so out with the windscreen seal again and also a very thin skim on the gasket that is supposed to seal the light unit.

We wait and see.....

Good luck....

The Soot Monster has a leak somewhere at the back. The boot seal is prime suspect as it does look a bit jaded and the other suspects have been dealt with. Boot seals are NLA from Audi (largely irrelevant as the last price for them is north of £250!) so I’ve drilled a couple of holes in the fibreglass spare wheel well so what gets in can get straight out.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:26 PM, Nick Jones said:

The Soot Monster has a leak somewhere at the back. The boot seal is prime suspect as it does look a bit jaded and the other suspects have been dealt with. Boot seals are NLA from Audi (largely irrelevant as the last price for them is north of £250!) so I’ve drilled a couple of holes in the fibreglass spare wheel well so what gets in can get straight out.

Highway robbery!!! or at least it would have been :blink:

Simple solutions that utilise nothing more than the basic forces of nature (gravity in this case) are always the most satisfying.

Anyway. The other day I noticed some condensation inside one of the light clusters that I'd not noticed before. Still hadn't rained by that point so it may be that I disturbed something taking it all apart and that was the culprit?

We had some rain last night. Had a look this morning - still dry but will wait and see a little longer before reassembling the trim.

:wallbash:

It's been raining.

Boot dry but I could just see water in between the however many panels that make up the lower sill of the hatch through one of the holes for the trim fixings.

I have ordered one of these mini endoscope things for my phone to try and get a view of what is happening behind all the panels. Was a good excuse as I was hankering after one anyway.

However I am getting increasingly to the point where if I can take off the rear bumper and find a suitable location I'm just going to drill one or more holes to let the bloody water back out.

Grrrr

• 2 weeks later...

hi they let water in the light seal take the rear light unit out you will see water enters that way ,while working in a local bodyshop ,they had one come in boot full of water took them a day to trace the fault.

Cheers @foshi

I had a look there and had a go at sealing it up. However might not have got it right as one of the seals was a bit dodgy. 

The endoscope arrived the other day. And been waiting for the opportunity to have a look in the back of the car as it's been mostly dry up here for the last few days. Bloody cold and windy but dry. 

Tonight it's cold and windy... and wet. So may get a chance tomorrow.

I'll start around the lights