Vitesse Radiator with 2 fans

Hello All

I thought I would start a new thread as it had drifted a bit from porting!

So I have modified the bracket and fitted a fan for fit(I have ordered one of these fans! I think I can afford the £7.50?) not sure if the 6 year warranty would apply to car fitted?

Arctic F12 Low Noise 12cm PC Case Cooling Fan, 9 Blades Fluid Dynamic 53CFM 3Pin 4895213700665 | eBay

My mind started wandering then! to thermostats.

Shall I have them both one together or at different temperatures like Spitty?

Now I could make a boss and solder it to the radiator and use a thermostat the same a Spitty!

But then I thought what about one of these surface thermostats like in modern boilers(but can you get one that closes at temperature?) 

100 DEGREES KLIXON SURFACE THERMOSTAT 100oC AUTO RESET 2 PIN NORMALLY CLOSED | eBay

I found one that was 85C but closed contacts!

It would be simple to solder a piece of copper/brass with tapped hole to the radiator.

So does anyone know of such a type?

Roger

DSC02114.JPG

I might be tempted to spin that fan up and throw some water at it Roger, before running it on the car?

Just it strikes me that an automotive fan is waterproof by design, however a PC fan is not (PC's and water generally not a good combo!).

I'd be a bit concerned that you may end up with some short circuits, and as I recall you run some engine electrickery it is possibly best to avoid such things?

Phil

Roger,

as you are running via a relay use a normally closed contact rather than normally open, that way you invert the operation of a thermo switch that opens when the right temperature is reached. i.e. the thermo switch keeps the relay active until the desired temperature is reached.

Alec

Hello All

I want to ask the collective brain what they think!

I have decided to fit a proper thermostat(probably 2 switch type)

I have made a boss but I can not make up my mind where to fit it? top or bottom?

The one in Spitty is in the bottom of the radiator and works well(I think most moderns are there?)

I could be silly and fit 2 bosses!

Roger

ps any body interested in a Revotec 11" fan and adjustable thermostat and relay (no fittings)may have some through the radiator type will look

DSC02117.JPG

DSC02118.JPG

Personally I prefer outlet side (bottom in this case) as it measures radiator effect rather engine load, but either can work. It’s mostly a matter of matching the switch set point to location.

Hello Nick

I think it is the right place as well because until the radiator is at engine temperature there is no point switching the fan on!

I will get another Intermotor 50101 which gives 84c/74c  and 88c/83c switching which seems just right for our engines? (its what I have in Spitty and works well)

Roger

Roger

I have the boss/switch fitted in the top tank on my GT6. Works well enough with a 12" SPAL fan and a fixed temp FAE switch (I tried a Revotec adjustable one, but didn't like the way it functioned as it ran on for too long).

Not sure why I chose top over bottom and with 20/20 hindsight might have bottom for the reasons Nick suggests.

Ian

Hello All

That's it a 22mm x 1.5 boss soldered into the bottom of the radiator and a new double temperature switch ordered(same as Spitty and has worked well in Spitty!)

I needed to fit another temperature sensor to the pump housing so Megajolt can alter the timing to suit temperature (advanced when cold and a bit retarded when very hot!)

So I drilled and tapped a hole 1/8" NPT for a universal temperature sensor

I was not happy with the housing as the thermostat was rattling about in the hole and would not have been clamped down by the outlet lid! (rusted away!)

So I counter bored it and made a brass ring to fit with a step for the thermostat(I know it will probably make no difference but it annoyed the engineer in me!)

Roger

DSC02120.JPG

DSC02121.JPG

DSC02122.JPG

DSC02124.JPG

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Nice work, :smile: your OCD is showing :biggrin:

Hello Nick

I think it has turned into a Pandemic?

Roger

ps still it passes the time and I only like to do jobs once if I can!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I have finished the radiator mods and refitted it (the new high flow fan I bought was rubbish! but quiet!) 

So I fitted and old unused one from my ATM repair days.

I have been thinking about air filters now as I can not fit them inside the casing as I am fitting radiused ram pipes!

So I have done some sums the 2  34mm i/d tubes give a area of  1816 sq mm

So 1  50mm would give  2123 sq mm

Or 2  40mm would give 2512 sq mm

So what do we think of filters like these?

52MM Universal Motorcycle Air Filter | eBay

Motorcycle Sport Bike Race Air Filter Intake Oval Cone Red 50mm 51mm RC69 RC 69 | eBay

1x Motorcycle 40mm Air Intake Filter Cleaner Pod Engine Inlet Filter | eBay

Mounted at the side of the radiator with suitable connector stubs.

Roger

DSC02128.JPG

DSC02130.JPG

DSC02132.JPG

DSC02138.JPG

Does your air box have slots in the bottom? Some of them do.

I would be tempted to chop the back plate out of the back of the standard elements, or find a ring element that fits in the air box?

Hello Nick

No just a few holes which I assumed were for letting water out(or maybe petrol??)

I think if I fit ring filters around the radiused trumpets it would ruin the effect?

Plus I thought air from the front would be a touch cooler? (perhaps fit a plate next to the radiator to stop warm air from that direction?)

Roger

I ran stub stacks inside K & N ring filters (thick pancakes) and that worked fine.  What I'm suggesting would be very similar.  Agree on the cool air.  I think they had hoses to the front originally.  Didn't Alan have a whole bunch of shrouding for that? he was serious about keeping the carbs cool.

Hello Nick

Yes he had a fan at the side of the radiator blowing towards the carbs and filters

Not sure if he would have been better with remote filter in cool air? (but then he was sprinting so probably different?)

Still like the idea of filters at the front in the cooler air (Triumph did it the other way around!) but they had the right idea!

Still it keeps me off the streets!

The next Daft thing I am going to do is machine a groove around the Aluminium rocker cover for a rubber seal!!!!! (2 sizes ordered 2.65mm and 3mm)

I thought a 3mm slot/groove at perhaps 2mm might be about right? (will practice on a bit of scrap!)

Roger

ps this what we me and the Memsahib want to get back to !

Stay safe all and sensible!

DSC07565.JPG

DSC01858.JPG

DSC08235-001.JPG

11 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Not sure if he would have been better with remote filter in cool air? (but then he was sprinting so probably different?)

So, on a Vitesse..... where is this remote bit with cool air......? :tongue:

Best I’ve been able to do is a bit of partitioning to keep the worst of the hot air away from the intake.

Alan was desperately trying to prevent heat-soak. Nothing more frustrating than sitting in a queue for the start of a hill climb and getting the carbs hot enough to cause fluffing and misfires for the first 100m when your turn finally comes!

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

So, on a Vitesse..... where is this remote bit with cool air......? 

Hello Nick

I thought at the side of the radiator? is that not behind the grill?

No bonnet on mine at the moment so I can not see and it is all tucked up in tented garage.

I thought that is why Triumph had the 2 tubes going forward?

I know it would not help when stationary but I thought when moving it may be a bit cooler?

Roger

ps still it is all things to think of?

I fitted 2 rubber bobbins to the end of the radiation support bars today so it can all wobble about a bit! but not move far

2 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

I thought at the side of the radiator? is that not behind the grill?

That’s the closest there is. There is maybe a little unoccupied grill space, but not a lot. That’s where my filter is, fitted directly to the throttle body and partitioned off from the engine bay. 

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

That’s the closest there is. There is maybe a little unoccupied grill space, but not a lot. That’s where my filter is, fitted directly to the throttle body and partitioned off from the engine bay. 

Hello Nick

Do you have a photo of the filter position so I can see what I am trying to do(I am not fetching the bonnet from other garage and measuring is a bit hit and miss!)

Roger

ps I have found another filter housing so I can do what I like with one of them?

Pics

P1120323s.jpg

P1120324s.jpg

The box sits on top of the side valance and the profile of the vertical matches the bonnet slope.  The filter sits very close to the bonnet.   If I fit it wrong (it's got an angled entry) it restricts airflow and the engine stops pulling at 5.5k!

Hello All

I think I have changed my mind Again(just making work for my self!)

So now I and back to keeping the standard air box and cold air pipes to the side of the radiator

I have been trawling Tinterweb for elements to fit and give good space around the radiused ram pipes

I could buy 2 of these but they are only 1" thick so would need some sort of packing etc!

Replacment Pancake Air Filter Sponge & Mesh for HS2, HS4 & HS6 SU Carbs | eBay

Or these look promising they are 40mm thick which should just go in with perhaps a thicker gasket!

Classic VW Beetle Pancake Air Filter Renewable Paper Filter ONLY Solex 34 Bug T2 | eBay

But they are 165mm dia and standard is 150mm dia  but then I thought what is stopping me from cutting them and reducing the dia(silicon would seal the cuts)

Or maybe I could squash them a bit and make them a bit oval?

They certainly give more filter area! and the mileage we do would take some time to get dirty.

Roger

ps Be gentle with me!