COVID safety observation

Hamish

I have a family member who is working away abroad after stringent COVID isolation and neg tests. 

he noticed a news story about Cornwall police using anpr to identify visitors during lockdown and he shared an email with his observations.

I responded thus. A bit knee jerk at the time.

( I work for  council trying to help the community in this COVID outbreak and see details of every case .)

Policing this lock down and travel is all so difficult until someone defines “local area”  !! Then verifies whether it’s essential work or a family or care bubble our poor coppers don’t stand a chance. 

Is riding your push bike 7 miles from home illegal? probably not.  is it sensible with the eyes of the world on you? no it’s not. 

Your non essential corner shop is closed and going bankrupt with the capability of ensuring mask wearing and social distancing, but don’t worry you can go with a thousand other people to the “garden centre” and buy everything not to do with a garden. Old xmas decorations and xmas trees,  get in early for that essential bbq that’s on sale or new apron with birds on it. Before popping in to b and m or Poundland to buy your cheap and nasty chav tat. 

Meanwhile  the hospital is asking the council for volunteers if they have spare staff willing to put them selves at risk for almost certain infection on the front line.   

No really the management and people’s behaviours is going swimmingly. 

I could never imagine the time where I can say you really are in the safest place in the world. 

who would have guessed that about BASRA  in Iraq 

Just to bring home  the folly of the Christmas relaxation of the rules.....

I live in a large village on the edge of Cambridge.  The whole village had setup a self help   volunteer network with a coordinator in each road. In our road with about 30 houses I had heard of 2 cases during last year.

On Christmas day one of the family's (2 adults and one primary school age) in our road meet up with there parents and parent in law (4 adults and 2 adult siblings and 2 children) total of 8 adults and 3 children at the parent in law house.
One of the them had Covid without any symptoms, since Christmas they have all had it, all ill and 4 of them have been  in hospital, 2 still in hospital.....

I fully understand wanting to see family and friends but you have to consider the risk. We had Christmas alone, no relatives, friends or even grandchildren (even though we are in a support bubble with them) as we decided that the risks of mixing over Christmas were too high. 

mike

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Mike - Utterly selfish. And on the other hand, bureaucratic obstacles being put in the way of those wanting to help. I will spare you today's laughable update on my wife's attempt to apply to be a volunteer vaccinator.

Miles

I have followed your wife attempts to help..... deeply depressing
the big problem with this government is its obsession with centralized plans and using private companies (sorry Tory donors) rather than funding local councils and organisations.  

Our local help group was organised via a very active local FB group and other school/parents/club networks/ Whatsapp groups and the parish council.
Local webpage set up and weekly email news and zoom meetings. We had ever road covered with help for people isolating, getting food, prescriptions, phone call to the lonely and ways of getting other help. All done locally with no help from central government. 
Worked very well last year and rebooted it this year but most people are managing much better. 
mike

2 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

On Christmas day one of the family's (2 adults and one primary school age) in our road meet up with there parents and parent in law (4 adults and 2 adult siblings and 2 children) total of 8 adults and 3 children at the parent in law house.
One of the them had Covid without any symptoms, since Christmas they have all had it, all ill and 4 of them have been  in hospital, 2 still in hospital.....

A sad story repeated up and down the country..... which is why we are where we are...... who could have predicted it :wallbash:

If it's any consolation, rank stupidity and selfishness isn't an exclusively British thing (although the 64 recorded changes of policy from the beginning of the first lockdown does place BoJo & Co. pretty high in the 'rank stupidity' stakes).

Over here, we have a simple rule - wear a mask everywhere except with your immediate family at home.  That means I need to wear a mask when I take the lift to take the rubbish down to the binstore. It also means that I need to wear one if I take a constitutional, on my own, in the local park. It may be inconvenient, but it's not complicated.

There is also a limit on shop occupancy (1 person per 15sqm of sales area), but a visit to the local supermarket earlier this week was a sobering experience.  For starters, few of the staff wore masks correctly and none of the security operatives were either checking numbers entering or asking customers to adjust their masks to cover their breathing organs rather than their chins.  Forget social distancing, this was business as usual.  I politely asked four people to adjust their masks s they pushed in front of me, one of whom was affronted that I should even suggest that his mask actually needs to cover his nose. And, of course, some people find it imperative to remove their masks altogether so that they can engage in a bit of social on the mobile phone whilst leaning over the fresh fruit and veg.

We had a curfew over New Year, from 7pm on 31st Dec to 6am on 1st Jan, but there were the usual crowds in the street below my flat and in the park I can see from my living room window.  I can only conclude that Poles are extraordinarily fortunate that C19 is a good Christian virus and takes a holiday when the church says so.  Oh, wait...

Despite Poland's rocketing infection rate, the message just isn't getting through.  And I won't even start on the issue of churches being open for business.  That would really hike my blood pressure.

Paul