Movement of Motorsport Vehicles Post-Brexit

JohnD

This is the title of a page on the MotorsportUK website.  https://www.motorsportuk.org/movement-of-motorsport-vehicles-post-brexit/?fbclid=IwAR3hb4QEHQjXojZtWZaQdbm9TAX4PKi5cZCr5fdfH7dVqHffiAdUPd02JrA

It states that from now, any motorsport vehicle - presumably one not driven into Europe on the usual road taxation and insurance - will require:

- an ATA carnet, costing £240

- and either a deposit of 40% of the car's worth, or a insurance premium for that amount.   The premium may be a similar amount and is non-returnable.

This may be tenable for pro-teams but will be ruinous for amateurs who may go to compete abroad once a year!

12 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Good grief. And what possible commercial risk is this designed to manage or mitigate?

Miles

I guess to stop people importing vehicles by the back door? Can't come up with any other reason, and my brain can be devious at times. 

Yes, it will put paid the idea of towing your car to Spa for a trackday. And I have seen a poor soul with his GT6 at the TSSC campsite at Le Mans. He had trailered it there, ran it off the trailer at the campsite and I think he sat next to it for the duration of the event. At least he was always there when I was walking past. Guess he won't be going again? or is a taxed/road legal car allowed to be trailered? I suppose recovery must be allowed. 

• 3 weeks later...

No word yet from MotorsportUK, but this from the AutoAddicts website:  http://www.autoaddicts.co.uk/brexit-rules-drive-race-europe/?fbclid=IwAR0tFzQlGTT_BeN3b-8ZA-wgWaTONeVYrC9zRH1VzPHtz5_SoJUaQ_pVWNE

"Towing a trailer 

Firstly if you are just driving on holiday or attending a race meeting in your own car, with a small bag of tools, you just need your V5 document, your driving licence and the green card.

If you are also transporting a quantity of spare tyres / wheels/ replacement body parts/ and other car spares you WILL also need to complete a temporary admission form: {See below)  It could potentially involve having to pay a customs clearance agent to complete and the possible need to lodge a deposit wit customs.  Ideally contact the relevant embassy in London to see what their temporary import procedure is.

If you are towing your own trailer you also need a Green card for the trailer and if it is plated as under 3500 kg you WONT need to register it. However it must be insured and you must get a Green card to prove this.

If your personal trailer is plated to carry 3500 kgs or you are transporting cars for others commercially you WILL need to register your trailer to drive into Europe. It costs just £26 and all our closest neighbours (France, Belgium and the Netherlands) are all on the list. You will also need to ensure your tow vehicle is plated to tow 3500 kgs to avoid any penalties."

Some car transporting trailers will be over the 3500kg gross trailer weight limit and will need to be registered: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trailer-registration

Temporary admission: https://www.gov.uk/taking-goods-out-uk-temporarily/duplicate-list

John

On 1/12/2021 at 9:18 AM, zetecspit said:

original "Project Juno" sweatshirt

Yes, it will put paid the idea of towing your car to Spa for a trackday. And I have seen a poor soul with his GT6 at the TSSC campsite at Le Mans. He had trailered it there, ran it off the trailer at the campsite and I think he sat next to it for the duration of the event. At least he was always there when I was walking past. Guess he won't be going again? or is a taxed/road legal car allowed to be trailered? I suppose recovery must be allowed. 

That is a bit sad, Clive.     Did he hope to run it in the parade, and something happened?

969744373_ArrivedatTertresRougeLeMans.thumb.jpg.9c53f1a1a7c845fc31f6521d54f5ac02.jpg

It' is also sad that more and more bring their moderns to CLM, but a few stalwarts ....

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

That is a bit sad, Clive.     Did he hope to run it in the parade, and something happened?

969744373_ArrivedatTertresRougeLeMans.thumb.jpg.9c53f1a1a7c845fc31f6521d54f5ac02.jpg

It' is also sad that more and more bring their moderns to CLM, but a few stalwarts ....

I doubt he did anything, just wanted to "show" his car? Was it last time there was a slightly unusual GT6 parked near your tent that hardly moved? 

I do find it odd that people go there thinking it will be like a local car show, or worry about their car when there are EXTREMELY valuable cars littered all over the place.

I did once take our MX5, that because my spitfire wasn't finished. But it looks a bit like a spitfire after a crate of 33.