I have an excellent, 'pistol-grip' die grinder, much easier to hold than the cylindrical style.

But something has got worn.      The burrs I use in it come loose, and work their way out of the chuck, with potentiaily alarming results, given the speed of an air grinder, if they come right out.    The chuck is a collett type, and I use the proper minispanners, on shaft and cover, to tighten it, but to no avail.

The burr shafts are 6mm and are a tight fit in the collett alone.      Is it worth trying to find a new collett, or is the whole chuck mechanism past it?

Any ideas?

John

Make sure everything is clean, dry and grit-free.There is a taper involved somewhere and for some reason it’s not working/locking. Check the mating surfaces for dinks and burrs.

Hello John

On a serious note have you bought new burrs lately?

If so they may  have a spiral twist that is the same as die grinder direction so pull them selves out or is it the other way around?

Roger

ps but as Nick says remove the locking collar and remove the collet and clean.

Will do, Nick, although I have given them a cursory clean.

Thanks, Roger! Yes, the shafts aren't polished any more, but no spiral pattern in the marking.     And I think it's the other way around, although how would you tell?   The burrs have a spiral pattern, that must exert a side thrust, although I think that will be into the chuck.     Would taking a file to the shaft break up any twist on its surface?

John

Hello John,

I got new collets for my die grinder, depending on the make they are available, mine is an electric Makita.  However the burr's shafts ought to be smooth and parallel but as they are held in a collet the shafts rarely get damaged, at least mine don't?

Alec

I have sourced some new collets that I think will fit - the first were too short ( after coming all the way from China!).    Try tomorrow.