reality of leaving the EU..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should you ever need to calculate taxes here you go...  Add..  Value of goods cost of shipping them and any insurance this gives you the CIF value ( thats cost insurance freight)

Given what we have been "sold" - yes it's fair to complain I'd say. As for the EU being too inward thinking, I believe that all this has been about the EU being too outward thinking and wanting t

Aye, they red listings...... This is really bad news for those of us who stay in the Scotland since we were using EU sellers because so many eBay England based sellers won’t sell to us as it is.

Posted Images

Aye, tracking for safety.

One of my friends used to work for Bear Scotland and then Highland Council
with responsibility for putting out snow ploughs/gritters
He always had two men per vehicle which meant the wage bill was very large, 
his bosses always insisted on one man per vehicle but my friend told them they would
have to sack him as he wasn’t doing that.
He added that if he was dismissed his first port of call would be an employment tribunal.

At both companies it was never mentioned again........

Ian

Renfrewshire Council are in on the act:

Name game: Tony Fitzpatrick, Eric Phillips, Councillor Natalie Don and Sean Batty with the gritters' titles

Some of tbose names are bit local for me to understand, but they are the result of anewspaper naming competition.

Better than Boaty McBoatface, anyway!

I am SO GLAD I'm not in business, importing from the EU!      I'm considering buying  a new part from within the EU, and trying to work out how much import duty and VAT I'll have to pay!    The Gov.uk website clearly (!) syas that if its more tha £135 and less than £630, then VAT will be payable, buta at what rate, 20% or 15%?   Both are quoted.    Customs duty isn't as easy (!) it may be 2.5% (?) but which do you calculate first, and is either based on the purchase price, or on the total of price plus tax?

My head is whirling, and this is only one transaction!

John

On 2/27/2021 at 7:52 PM, JohnD said:

I am SO GLAD I'm not in business, importing from the EU!      I'm considering buying  a new part from within the EU, and trying to work out how much import duty and VAT I'll have to pay!    The Gov.uk website clearly (!) syas that if its more tha £135 and less than £630, then VAT will be payable, buta at what rate, 20% or 15%?   Both are quoted.    Customs duty isn't as easy (!) it may be 2.5% (?) but which do you calculate first, and is either based on the purchase price, or on the total of price plus tax?

My head is whirling, and this is only one transaction!

John

Hi John,

Not sure if you are just having a rant or want some help:biggrin:

I'm not totally across any detail changes but my 'rule of thumb' for a ballpark estimate is that Duty is charged on the item itself and VAT is charged on the total transaction cost including shipping and insurance.  If the item is less than £135 in value (excluding VAT) Duty is not charged.  The HMRC Tariff for the item being purchased tells you the Duty and VAT rates applicable.

As a side issue, please note if the item is from Germany, I've noticed German Customs seem to be on a 'go slow' at the moment.  I can't say if this specifically is for goods destined for GB or more general.

Regards

Chris

• 1 month later...

Should you ever need to calculate taxes here you go... 

Add.. 

Value of goods

cost of shipping them and any insurance

this gives you the CIF value ( thats cost insurance freight)

duty is calculated on that amount at the rate set in the tariff for that commodity. online tariff codes are available

add duty to the cif amount 

this gives your value for VAT 

As you can see duty is paid on the full value of goods including shipping costs, and duty costs are vatable so once youve worked out duty you need to add the duty to your cif value, then calculate the VAT.

Theres other random stuff too about air borders but generally above is all you will need. Filling in the entry is a whole different ballgame so get someone to do it for you unless you like filling in random customs forms endlessly. If anyone gets stuck I can help, but on a personal not business basis. I do not want to be seen as touting for work, after Brexit I have more than enough:mad:

• Like 4