reality of leaving the EU..

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Still waiting for the list of advantages that it is bringing us and still not getting one.

Could that be because there are NO advantages in the real world I wonder.......?

Greatest act of national stupidity in the history of the world so far?  Got to be a contender! :mad:

This has probably been said here before but I strongly suspect that there a a number of significant advantages that accrue to a small number of extremely wealthy and influential people keen to seek yet more financial benefit and prevent their morally questionable (at best) links with powerful, shady people from the scummier parts of the world being held to account.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Should you ever need to calculate taxes here you go...  Add..  Value of goods cost of shipping them and any insurance this gives you the CIF value ( thats cost insurance freight)

Given what we have been "sold" - yes it's fair to complain I'd say. As for the EU being too inward thinking, I believe that all this has been about the EU being too outward thinking and wanting t

Aye, they red listings...... This is really bad news for those of us who stay in the Scotland since we were using EU sellers because so many eBay England based sellers won’t sell to us as it is.

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

This has probably been said here before but I strongly suspect that there a a number of significant advantages that accrue to a small number of extremely wealthy and influential people keen to seek yet more financial benefit and prevent their morally questionable (at best) links with powerful, shady people from the scummier parts of the world being held to account.

Oh, sure, no argument with that. That was the real driver behind it all.

My question to the “useful idiots” who were persuaded to support the idea stands....

Where is the list of wins to balance the long list of losses for we ordinary plebs in the real world?

Or should I ask how the unicorn breeding program is going?

• Like 1

There's a little tit called Tom Harwood, who writes sneering pro-Brexit 'opinions' for the Telegraph and manages to contort a quote from Nissan's COO into a flag-waving thumbs up for the omnishambles, forgetting to add said COO's final comment in the press release:

"He also insisted the company had not suffered as many problems as other manufacturers from post-Brexit teething problems in its supply chains"

Great if you're Nissan with near-complete control over supply chain.  Tough luck if you're anybody else.

I was reading an article on the BBC news earlier sayingany companies in the UK are writing off returns due to costs. This is due to how they calculate VAT now, customers are receiving the bill from UPS etc (who are the ones tasked with dealing with this side), who also add a £10-£16 (this is from an email I received from Billingham Bags, they do say larger parcels may be higher) admin charge on top.

So people are being presented with the bill, and simply refusing to pay where upon it becomes a return. The problem is the return process ends up costing so much it isn't financially viable to do so, meaning loads of goods end up in limbo.

Link: BBC News - Brexit: Retailers warn they could burn goods stuck in EU

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757931

The advantages just keep stacking up :banana:

57 minutes ago, thebrookster said:

I was reading an article on the BBC news earlier sayingany companies in the UK are writing off returns due to costs. This is due to how they calculate VAT now, customers are receiving the bill from UPS etc (who are the ones tasked with dealing with this side), who also add a £10-£16 (this is from an email I received from Billingham Bags, they do say larger parcels may be higher) admin charge on top.

So people are being presented with the bill, and simply refusing to pay where upon it becomes a return. The problem is the return process ends up costing so much it isn't financially viable to do so, meaning loads of goods end up in limbo.

Link: BBC News - Brexit: Retailers warn they could burn goods stuck in EU

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55757931

The advantages just keep stacking up :banana:

Oh that's just splendid. We can add global warming from all the bonfires to the list of 'benefits'.

I have on occasion bought things mail order from so am aware of the import duties.

The last big purchase I made was a Stewart coolant pump.
Even through the list price was exactly the same it was cheaper to buy from Summit Racing,
than from Stewart themselves, because I could pay the duty at time of purchase with Summit.

I have often bought stuff from the EU (mainly because the carriage is way cheaper than from England
because EU sellers don't add massive surcharges for delivery to Scotland).
Now, am I right in thinking this advantage has gone and I will have to pay import duties?

thanks,

Ian.

15 minutes ago, Sprint95m said:

Now, am I right in thinking this advantage has gone and I will have to pay import duties?

The picture is confused, and so are many suppliers / couriers.  Not surprisingly.  

I think what is happening is that we no longer pay VAT in the EU.  Instead it has to be collected here and the onus is being put on the couriers.  So you will have to pay VAT (fair enough, not much change) plus whatever random handling charge gets imposed, which can be very substantial in the context of a relatively small value order.  Much like ordering from the US always was, though with that it seemed to be a lottery whether you actually got charged or not.

It's a huge step step backward and certainly not frictionless trade.

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

This is one of the few bright lights in this whole fustercluck.

Hopefully the the interest of the EU will provide the twin benefits of helping clean the embarrassing cesspit of these places and stick it up some of those who brought us to this. Even if they just go somewhere else it at least inconveniences them for a while. 

And maybe it will lead to more questions within the EU about the behaviour of places like Malta, Monaco, etc.

One can hope 

Today's Radio 4 "Question Time" featured a wonderfully Received English lady who had found that there wores a problem tekking her dorgs back heme to Northen Irlend.  They had to have hundreds of pounds worth of  immunisations and vet's certificates every teme.  Not unreasonably, she asked if there was a border now, in the Irish Sea, between the two parts of the UK.

The Tory mouthpiece on the panel insisted that was not the case, no, not all.    It took the Green rep (Larry Saunders, brother of Bernie Saunders, previous US Presidential candidate!) to point out that there had been a choice - a border in the Irish Sea, or one where Ulster finishes and Eire starts, with all that that would imply for renewed insurrection.

Just an Update. Tried to order parts via Ebay. No possibility to send to Germany. Ordered via an online shop. Parts no Problem. Invoice was without Vat on products and no Vat on postal service. Parcel arrived   today. Hadnt to pay anything. So one State was cheated by me. :biggrin:

Cheers

Martin

Aye, they red listings......
This is really bad news for those of us who stay in the Scotland since we
were using EU sellers because so many eBay England based sellers won’t
sell to us as it is.

Annoyingly eBay don’t have a filter to avoid wasting time pointlessly reading
these listings.

Menzies Distribution do offer a service where we can use their address and
they will then deliver for £4.99/parcel or we can use them to uplift but neither of they options works through eBay because if it is highlighted in red
you cannot buy.

I do clearly mind being told during the referendum campaign that a Brexit
vote would cause the EU to be on it’s knees begging to deal with us.
We have a made ourselves into a trifling irrelevance, haven’t we just?

Ian

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sprint95m said:

We have a made ourselves into a trifling irrelevance, haven’t we just?

Just a small island, rather over-crowded and under educated, with delusions of grandeur and importance. Delusions mainly among those who haven’t twigged the days of empire are long gone.

Still waiting for the list of wins from the brexiters.....  reckon it’ll be a long wait.

54 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Here's other thirteen things that weren't on the side of the bus: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/01/brexit-deal-13-things-you-need-to-know/

Many of those are of no consequence. The EHIC card being replaced? big deal, you have always needed proper insurance anyway. Green card? not exactly difficult. 6 months left on passport, same as many/most other holiday destinations.

Taking EU companies to court may be trickier, but that is largely limited to companies I would think. And cross border litigation always looks complex, probably even within the EU. Duty free looks OK until you realise there are now limits, and the system is now in line with other countries. 

So in reality that is a something and nothing list. The worst one for me will if mobile roaming charges re-appear, that will cost a few quid on holiday, or maybe I will just learn to leave my phone off. And Gill can still bring back a dozen bottles of red when we come back from holiday. And they will be properly duty free I expect.

They haven't mentioned the bigger picture, but being Which? most consumers won't worry as the changes wont be immediately obvious. 

Anyway, there is little point in looking back at what was. That is doing the same as the wistful people hoping for a return to the British Empire. The only thing that matters is the future, and how GB ploughs its new furrow. And it is very early days, not to mention unusual times. I am hopeful we have a bright future ahead. 

13 minutes ago, JohnD said:

You been taking the same magic fairy dust as dePiffle,  zetec?

Not at all. If you read the list, there is very little that is going to be an issue for any of us. I expect there are much better choices if you want to have a good moan about Brexit. I can't point you in the right direction on that, I don't go looking as there is zero point. We are where we are.

I prefer to be optimistic. No point in wallowing in misery and wishing things hadn't changed. All it does is drag you down and make you bitter. Honestly, try to be positive about stuff. It makes you feel better about life.

And John, you are welcome to call me Clive. I do have my name on every post. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zetecspit said:

I prefer to be optimistic.

Aye that is what I feel too Clive,
it is what it is,
you should try to make the best of the situation. History shows us that.

Ian