reality of leaving the EU..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given what we have been "sold" - yes it's fair to complain I'd say. As for the EU being too inward thinking, I believe that all this has been about the EU being too outward thinking and wanting t

The fishing business is a red herring (pun intended). Its all about oversight. Always was. The unfeasibly rich pulling the strings (not all even British citizens) want the freedom to launder thei

And all of that is fine for the larger businesses, but doesn't help the myriad of small businesses who don't sell in larger quantities, in particular those who need a larger market area to remain viab

Posted Images

On 1/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, Scooter said:

grrrr! Brexit?

Who’d have thought it! Business finds a way of working more efficiently!

en avant mes amies!

“England is an important economic partner for businesses in the department. It’s a market that matters to the people here. Our business partners want to continue working with us. In 2020, we continued to work with our English clients without difficulty. Brexit now requires us to review our logistical conditions to absorb the cost differential for our customers, ”says Jerôme Levassoire, the manager. He therefore had to adapt to compensate for transit and customs costs. “We can deliver small orders anywhere in Europe. Now that the UK is no longer a part of it, our UK customers are being asked to place one big order per month rather than small orders every week. "
He is not worried about the future of his relations with his customers from across the Channel: "Our business partners want to continue working with us".

More bullsheet from the Sunny Uplands.  Since you hide yourself and we have no idea where you are and what you do, 'Scooter', I'll assume that you have no connection with trans-border trade whatsoever and that you're another armchair activist.

I am not directly connected with cross-boarder trade either, but a lot of my business partners are, mostly small businesses here in Poland and in the UK, who received zero (let me emphasise that: ZERO) support from either the UK Govt or their own, other than the dribble of information before Christmas, underlining the uncertainty.

The level of pain and expense they are experiencing, on top of the damage caused by C19, is killing them.  Loss of customers, perturbed by sudden increases in prices.  Deliveries blocked by the physical constraint of importing.  Uncertainty about the paperwork and who ultimately will approve and release goods.  The higher cost of importing means that, gradually, more EU markets are being priced out of competition for UK producers (yeah, both of them) and suppliers.  And vice versa.

Shortly after The Deal was done, somebody opined here on Sideways that this was exactly what he thought it would be all along - a zero quota, zero tariff deal.  Rubbish - for small businesses, it is anything but.

It will settle down, but not to the benefit of the vast majority - everybody will pay, but the most important thing is that a small cabal of aggitators, who have hedged against the UK all the way through this catastrophe, will come out quids in.  Are you one of those, 'Scooter'?  A vocal supporter of Brexit, because you've bet against Britain and can make a tidy profit out of it?

But keep on sneering, 'Scooter' - it's all you've got to show for Brexit.

• Like 1

"Now, here's a funny thing! And it's all clever stuff, no rubbish, lady!"

In Dutch entry ports, drivers who have taken the trouble to sustain themselves without resorting to 'foreign rubbish', and brought sandwiches and other food with them, have had their rations confiscated, because their unlicenced imprt into the EU is prohibited.   DEFRA says and has for some time that "From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to bring POAO (products of an animal origin) such as those containing meat or dairy (eg a ham and cheese sandwich) into the EU".  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/dutch-officials-seize-ham-sandwiches-from-british-drivers

They didn't put THAT on the side of a bus, did they?

9 minutes ago, JohnD said:

"Now, here's a funny thing! And it's all clever stuff, no rubbish, lady!"

In Dutch entry ports, drivers who have taken the trouble to sustain themselves without resorting to 'foreign rubbish', and brought sandwiches and other food with them, have had their rations confiscated, because their unlicenced imprt into the EU is prohibited.   DEFRA says and has for some time that "From 1 January 2021 you will not be able to bring POAO (products of an animal origin) such as those containing meat or dairy (eg a ham and cheese sandwich) into the EU".  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/dutch-officials-seize-ham-sandwiches-from-british-drivers

They didn't put THAT on the side of a bus, did they?

More worryingly, does it mean I can no longer bring a pack of merguez and a lump of cheese home with me? I think beer/wine and probably cans of food are OK. 

They don't put it on motorway traffic displays, either.     Although the rules have been in place since 2019, and probably before that: see https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/animalproducts/personal_imports_en

Probably fine to bring anything back into the UK - after all, we make no realistic attempt to keep people infected with covid out, so who cares about food?      I would draw the line at 'merguez', though!

But the Brexit negotiators could not be expected to deal with everything, could they, poor dears?   So this go left out, big deal.  Along with police and security, data sharing, financial and other services, professional qualifications, scientific research and university studies, etc, etc.    

Oh yes.... brexit.... the gift that keeps on givingtaking...... things we have taken for granted for decades......

Notice how those in favour of brexit rush to provide lists of the endless benefits to justify and compensate for these "small inconveniences"

A Pollyanna is "someone who thinks good things will always happen and finds something good in everything" (Merriam-Webster)

You think that is a useful point of view, Escadrille?  Sad to say, our PM is an incurable pollyanna, not from a sunny personality, but from a disinclination to do anything, until forced to by circumstances.     Like Mr.Micawbar, he always hopes for the best and that something will turn up.     It has, and his indolence has always made it worse.

JOhn

2 hours ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Dunno mate. I've only ever used it as a pejorative.

Pejorative.

That is a new word I have learned today, Colin,
indeed it is the second new word for me this week, the other being "skaifer" 
which is an old Scots word for a very faint rainbow.

:biggrin: Now on the theme of this thread, could I use skaifer as a pejorative?

Ian

On 1/11/2021 at 11:27 PM, Nick Jones said:

Why wouldn’t you be able to get German horse food in France? :confused:

The bank and insurance stuff your doing or have your been cancelled for suddenly becoming foreign?

Think one is a VAT thing, the other is being Johnny foreigner now.

Having a hell of a job getting liability assurance again, none of the usual suspects will quote due to frickin brexit.

Still a bit mystified about why German horse food in France would be an issue (as brexit wouldn't appear to come into it unless the stuff is going via the UK - and that would make no sense).  The rest is all too predictable though.

Bollocks indeed.

Yesterday my company discovered that our German colleagues have cocked up the interface between their systems and the automatic TNT customs paperwork system.  This has resulted in copies of our intercompany invoices being sent to our customers so they can see the difference between what they pay and what we pay.  Not ideal.

The Germans really don't care very much.  They (quite reasonably IMO) see this as a stupid thing caused by the stupid Island Monkeys for no good reason they can comprehend that causes them extra work and expense.  Hard to argue with - even if it is in fact a (very) basic error on their part.

Hi all, experience from the other  side of the Channel.
Just wanted to order some  Parts via Ebay.uk. From a supplier I already used before. Never had an issue so far. Today when coming to the payment the Message popped up that due to tax reasons no delivery to Germany possible. :blush:

Will  give  him a call tomorrow. 
Cheers

Martin

Brexit just keeps on giving or taking away.

Shock Brexit charges are hurting us, say small British businesses | Brexit | The Guardian

and one more 
Moves by Kwarteng to attack workers’ rights may well run into a red wall | Business | The Guardian

this is one of the reasons so many in the Tory party supported Brexit, removing workers rights...
Being denied but the ideas are being floated to start to soften up the opposition......

mike

Hi, I'm in the middle of a Land Rover 110 V8 restoration and I need to order parts from the Brexit island regularly ....

I ordered a chassis crossmember on the 14th of January for around £ 120 which arrived today with no additional charges.

I paid the VAT in the UK as usual and there was a big green OK sticker on the parcel.

On the other hand I wanted to order complete doors and other parts in December and I got a quote to send all the parts on a pallet for £ 155. One door was not available until now and the postage went up to £ 260, both quotes without insurance !

As I  wanted an insurance cover, another £ 60 needed to be added ...

In normal times I would travel to the UK on my own and buy all the stuff I need, but unfortunately that's not an option either :down:

Next thing is to send the engine on a pallet to be rebuild, we'll see how much that will cost ...

Bloody Brexit :confused:

Still having significant transport and paperwork issues at work.  Lots of pissed-off customers already.  Though still fairly understanding at this point as all their suppliers trying get stuff from Europe are in the same situation.

Brexshit!! :mad:

Still waiting for the list of advantages that it is bringing us and still not getting one.

Could that be because there are NO advantages in the real world I wonder.......?

Greatest act of national stupidity in the history of the world so far?  Got to be a contender! :mad: