Phew!!!

JohnD

Motorsport's worst nightmare is fire, and tonight's Bahrain F1 had one of the worst possible.  Roman Grosjean crashed off at max speed with a full fuel load three corners after the start and instantly the car was massively on fire.       The Medical car  really showed why it's there as it was right behind the pack.    Things looked extremely poor for Grojean, but extraordinarily, after 35 seconds inside that inferno, he leapt out and was grabbed by the doctor and into the medical car and away.     He is reported to have "minor burns" and a broken rib.

If I belived in them I'd say 'miraculous'.  In fact, a compliment to modern F1 technology - although WHY did the Haas break in two and release all it's fuel???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55122594

John

Having said that, and looking at the footage again, I fear that the Armco  was badly installed!       It gave way between two sets of posts, that should have yeilded to the impact, absorbing energy, but stood firm.     The  Armco strips themselves  should stay intact,  while the posts break off, absorbing energy so that the Armco yields like a giant elastic band.

Instead, the car received the full energy of the impact and broke up.      The compliment is to  modern safety features (fire reistant overalls, cockpit design air supply to drivers helmet, and the Halo)   NOT to circuit safety.   F1 will be asking the Bahrain course some searching Qs about the contracts and work done there on barriers.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The FIA has, with remarkable diligence and speed, reported its findings on the Grosjean incident.     Better to read them, rather than me attempt a precis, but I note that it was  "the failure of the middle rail of the barrier and significant deformation of the upper and lower rails" that allowed the car to pierce the barrier, when it should have deflected it.   In other words, the Armco was not installed correctly.

The report identifies several other factors that need attention, and compliments the Rescue team, beyond the individual heroism of the doctors and marshals: "The FIA Medical Car arrived within 11 seconds of the incident, a time achieved partly due to the fact a ‘short cut’ was taken to avoid turn 1, demonstrating both local circuit knowledge and pre-planning."

See: https://www.fia.com/news/fia-concludes-investigation-romain-grosjeans-accident-2020-bahrain-formula-1-grand-prix-and?fbclid=IwAR2xPxZkD38mLnUGaDUoH4BmrG4HkCrJMAtPcLqzsOBo-pzHNYYnsPzumeU