Moment of Madness or what !!!!

Hi Folks,

for quite a while now I have been considering a TIG welder. I've never had a proper need for one but every now and then I would be in a situation where it may be useful.

Just before this recent lock down I was refurb'ing the driver door window electric winder motor. I installed them about 15 years or so ago as Sue had a serious problem that stopped her using the machanical winder on the 4A.

Anyway about a year later the drivers side motor packed up (rubbish parts from the scrap yard - what is the world coming too).

About 10 years later after trying to find the same motor (originally off a Nissan WhateverGT) I found the BMW E43 was pretty close. When they arrived I found I could not get into the worm drive box - so they ended up in a box on the shelf.

A month ago I decided to take another look. All the plastic body was welded and glued etc etc. Out with the hammer and wood chisel. Voila - the lid popped off.

So the motor is sorted- where do you put switches in a TR4A!!  there is very little empty space.

Brainwave - the central dash support that envelopes the gear stick appears to have space but I do not want to cut my nice one into odd shapes so I was lucky enough to get a nice tatty one for not a lot.  I cut off the lump that surrounded the gear stick and now have a flush vertical support (a bit like the TR4)  I have made a new wider and ever so slightly longer

lump around the gear stick.

Sadly the radio cut-out was badly cut about so I decided I will fill it in and make new holes for the standard 'Motorola' type radio

The support is made of Aluminium and so it needs TIG welding - what better reason for buying just before Christmas.

I'm going for the R-Rech  TIG161 as it does both DC & AC.  However it is not cheap at £1200 and I will need to get the gas and a few bits and bobs.

Thankfully (if that is the case) the first lock down and dead summer has stopped me spending  £££££ on tours etc. 

I hope it works.

Roger

Nice machine. 

A friend and I went halves on decent quality used one about 10 years ago.

Its a mixed blessing, mostly because I don’t seem to be able to master aluminium welding. I have managed to stick steel and mild steel together quite convincingly, though I do struggle a bit where ever filler rod is needed. Not enough brain cells to work two hands together apparently :ermm:

I’m told that if you can gas weld, TIG is an easy transfer.....

You’ll have fun learning!

Hello Nick,

I've been gas welding for over forty years but still didn't find TIG that easy to  learn.

However I find it easier to TIG weld aluminium than with gas, neither are easy, but I'm starting to feel confiident enough to weld thin aluminium now, thicker stuff is relatively easy but needs a lot of current.   

Alec        

Think you're right, Nick!      I did a C&G gaswelding course (Level 1, nothing fancy) and when I had the opportunity to try a TiG (thanks to m'Tutor, at college) it seemd quite familiar.   But it was just a quick, "Can I have a go?" so no expertise, let alone experience!

45 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Beginning to think i'm ambidextrous, as my welds look the same left handed or right handed :blush:

Hum...... mine mostly look like I’m attempting it with my non-dominant hand, in the dark in the middle of an earthquake. That’s if any actual fusion occurs at all. Steel and stainless ok-ish.

Nick

I like the r-tech range of welders, and was looking at a 210 ac/dc digital machine a couple of years ago, but couldn't stretch to it at the time, but hopefully one day.

In the mean time there was a vat free day locally and I bought a Clark AT165 inverter type Arc,Tig, MMA with the optional tig torch. Practiced a few times on mild steel and started to get the hang of it, and welded a few pieces without filler rod which surprised me. 

Main issue is with the mini disposable Argon bottles, and the poor gas flow, even on full. You have to regulate the gas flow on the torch, and strike an ark to get started.

Need to sorce a proper argon bottle and full size regulator, but already rent Agonsheild from BOC  and didn't want additional expenses. 

Basic, but I thought if I learn on  this, it should be a smooth transition to a more safisticated expensive ac/dc machine one day.

Got one of these last year, basically like an R-tech but sold under a different name.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/TIG-WIG-Schweisgerat-AC-DC-200Di-200-A-Inverter-Schweissgerat-Pulse-HF-MMA/382386913925?

I think it's more like soldering than Mig welding.
Not tried aluminium yet, though.

Oh, one tip, I disliked the standard supplied torch cable very much.
So much so I bought a different torch on aliexpress, which has a much thinner, single cable.
This improved my welds no end, as it gives much more freedom and precision.

It is similar to this one:
If you do intend on getting one like this make sure you get it with the right connector and torch.
As there are different size connectors.
Hf9cbbdb2af514c7cae834ba5403ba130Z.jpg

Hi guys - been tig welding for 40 years and its all about practice, unlike mig which can be mastered fairly quickly, my welding teacher at college was a very good teacher and his welding was incredible - but he made a comment on my final day as he handed over my tickets - which was - "very good and well done Davis, now go learn to weld" To which I replied "thought that's what I've just done sir" and he just smiled and shook my hand, took me about 3 months to realize he was right - real world very different to classroom - I would honestly say I'm still learning:welder:just keep trying - just remember that ANY dirt of any kind - oil / grease / paint / rust and tig will not play very nicely which can be very frustrating when your learning

Dave

Hi Folks,

I had this dream that I would be able to create beautiful welds from day 1.  Your comments are not inspiring me.

I can do nice arc welds. My MIG welding is poor but the metal stays together. I think that suggests I like thick metal.

The TIG should be a new journey.  (I hope I have brought the spare wheel)

Roger

I'm actually at a position where i would consider do an exhaust now, learnt a few things today:

• The recommended amp settings for your machine are more than likely right.
  • Tungsten tip if its clogged just change it, it won't clear itself.
  • Tip stick up, the Argon cups are numbered and the stick up is 1/16" x cup size, so a 6 cup is 6/16"
  • Its really easy to dip the tip either in the weld or with the filler rod, i've cheated and put a stand off stub on the cup, it helps, at this stage anyway.
  • Direction of torch travel is towards the filler rod.
  • If you think you might not quite reach the next bit, it won't change when the torch is hot.
  • Your welding helmet settings will not be right.
  • You need to see the pool and the filler rod end, not easy so i attached the filler rod to a torch so i can see it, much better.
  • Flux on the inside of a tubular makes the welds smoother and nicer.
  • Gloves with holes in the fingers are not a good idea.
  • Don't have any gaps, it will just blow out.
  • i wouldn't like to weld anything less than 2mm.
  • For exhausts they need to be clamped up which is tricky, ideally i would buy these but i won't as i'm tight and will make something.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Oh and Solar flux needs alcohol to dissolve in, so went to the supermarket and got some, comes in all different scented versions, lemon, apple..i guess so that you don't need to buy a mixer? anyway i bought vanilla as i like ice cream and it made no difference at all, welds don't taste good.

Well surprise of surprise the TIG161 has turned up. I actually wanted click and collect so that I could pick up other things from the shop.

Dare  I open the box. !!!

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Following this thread with interest, I've just been watching a few Youtube videos about TIG welding which has got me thinking. 

20 hours ago, RedRooster said:
  • i wouldn't like to weld anything less than 2mm.

I know nothing about welding but this bloke (https://youtu.be/R1_wi9LEEVM?t=1186) uses MIG wire instead of filler rod for thinner steel. It doesn't look easy though...

Hi Folks,

as mentioned the unit turned up Saturday morning.

I didnt really think about the size of the unit when buying it. At present it sits in the living room. 

I took the lid of the box last night and it is definitely in there. I then put the lid back on.

I'm going to have to be creative as to where this thing will live.

Having watched a good number of tutorial videos over the week end one thing that I have found is that there is no 'one' way of doing this TIG stuff.

I think next week when I get it up and running I shall be playing with all the controls to see what is what - one step at a time.

Roger