What's the Buzz ?

Today's numpty Questions...
As My High Torque Starter motor has it's own solenoid - is there anything to stop me using the lower post on the original solenoid as a Buzz Post? Obviously it will need a live feed from either the top post or directly from the battery.
Trying to keep the wiring looking period - I want to avoid fitting visibly modern buzz bars & led fuse boxes etc ... but the top post on the solenoid is looking like a Christmas Tree. I'm needing to add lots of cables as I attempt to fit period relays for main beam & auxiliary lights. BTW anyone know of matching 7" & 5 3/4" headlamps that are domed rather than flat?

Also has anyone managed to fit a lucas fuse box( 6FJ or 7FJ )  in the redundant regulator housing? My project car ( & indeed photos suggest Rally Spitfires are/were converted to alternators - so it is only currently used to link alternator feed to oem solenoid >> Battery.  I know things can be routed behind the dash but that's already like a Sicilian spagetti massacre- and I'd prefer fuses etc where I can easily access to check.

Is it better to take the charge from the alternator to the oem solenoid or directly to the battery?

I've been getting the usual mix of excellent & irrelevant advice from FB - but I've found answers here to be informed, researched & proven... any ideas and links to useful products much appreciated 

Bus bars John.

The lower post on the solenoid is only live when the solenoid coil is energised.

on Chris’s Spitty he’s  used a fuse box from a Peugeot 106 with 5 high current fuses (plain black plastic) mounted near the battery. This does radiator fan, high beam and dip plus one that goes to an auxiliary box (modern led one) via a 70A ignition relief relay that handles all the engine management, electric windows etc. That one is hidden behind a kick panel in the recess just ahead of the A pillar.

I have put a fuse-block inside the regulator box but not a Lucas one.  The problem is size - the box lid isn't that big so if you want the fuse block to sit on the base of the box you need to find one where the fuses are fairly close together and without connection tags sticking out sideways.  I ended up using a 4-way block for continental type fuses,  which has screw-terminal connections.  

Since I did that I have found a blade-fuse holder that would probably also work. Most of those have the fuses too far apart which makes the block too long, or connections coming out sideways making them too wide. 

It might be possible to make the 6FJ fit because the tags are underneath, but you would probably have to modify it by cutting the mounting lugs off to make it shorter and stand it up a bit on spacers to give enough room to for the  connectors coming up from below. 

As for the starter, yes it's fine to do what you suggest.  Electrically it makes no difference whether you take the alternator feed direct to the battery or to the solenoid terminal so it is more down to convenience with the connections and what looks neatest.  

On 11/15/2020 at 6:59 PM, JohnD said:

OK, Greta, I'll bite.  What on Earth is a Buzz Post?

John

PS You don't need the circlips any more?

As Nick said ... my childhood phenomic & dyslexia problems seem to be returning ... I blame them trying to teach me the eta alphabet & missing a years schooling at a crucial age.

I'm really not sure whether the 13mm circlip I've ordered is adequate for the job.. if you've something imperial a tad smaller ( or the correct part ) it would still be appreciated.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, DeTRacted said:

I have put a fuse-block inside the regulator box but not a Lucas one. 

Since I did that I have found a blade-fuse holder that would probably also work. Most of those have the fuses too far apart which makes the block too long, or connections coming out sideways making them too wide. 

It might be possible to make the 6FJ fit because the tags are underneath, but you would probably have to modify it by cutting the mounting lugs off to make it shorter and stand it up a bit on spacers to give enough room to for the  connectors coming up from below.   

Any links to the smaller fuse box you found? 
And if anyone has an old knackered regulator box I can tear down & play with for a dummy run please let me know>

Still not sure whether I can take a live feed from the battery to the lower solenoid post and use it as a BUS POST !!

27 minutes ago, Greta said:

Still not sure whether I can take a live feed from the battery to the lower solenoid post and use it as a BUS POST !!

Yes you can. If you are taking the original solenoid-coil drive wire to the starter's own solenoid instead, and supplying a permanent battery feed to the starter, then the original solenoid isn't going to do anything any more.  In that case there is nothing to stop you using its other terminal as a convenient interconnection point. Since both of the terminals will be connected to the battery, nothing untoward is going to happen.  

This is the fuse block I think might fit inside the regulator case but they don't actually quote any meaningful dimensions:   

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiorange-Standard-Holder-2-Input-4-Output/dp/B07DHG57T5/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=4+way+blade+fuse&qid=1605563032&s=automotive&sr=1-8

Hi Greta

I have a hi-torque starter and have recently had to bypass the original solenoid as it has failed internally and can't handle starting current (it's only 50 years old-bl**dy Lucas rubbish!). I managed to fit the main supply and the starter feed onto the top post as per the attached photos. You do need to run a separate wire from the switched side of the solenoid to the starters own solenoid and remove the link wire between the starter supply post and the solenoid.

I had previously added a secondary fuse box which is fed from the solenoid and I use this to power various auxiliary systems. I think the box is used on later TRs so should be available, although I can't recall offhand where I got it from. The box has double terminals so I have bussed some together on the feed side to distribute power.

I have managed to find a NOS Lucas solenoid which I may fit eventually.

Ian

DSC_7889.JPG

DSC_7890.JPG

DSC_7892.JPG

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Greta said:

As Nick said ... my childhood phenomic & dyslexia problems seem to be returning ... I blame them trying to teach me the eta alphabet & missing a years schooling at a crucial age.

I'm really not sure whether the 13mm circlip I've ordered is adequate for the job.. if you've something imperial a tad smaller ( or the correct part ) it would still be appreciated.

Sure, pm me your address, please, I've lost it!

13 hours ago, Greta said:

And if anyone has an old knackered regulator box I can tear down & play with for a dummy run please let me know>

Pretty sure I have somewhere - I'll have a look for it this weekend.