1976 Spitfire 1500

2 hours ago, Radioactive Man said:

Scary how small old cars are.  Had to actually go to the office today so an excuse to get the Spit out.305000ED-0A6A-40AF-86B0-2D86DE6919B9.thumb.jpeg.1fb3d55ed0d6d36930d4fefc69cd396b.jpeg

Hello Ian

As long as you do not spread to fit the modern!!!!!

By the way is that Sherman Tank????  Ha Ha

Roger

ps the world has gone a bit mad?

Hello Ian 

I forgot to tell you our local TSSC group are going to Spa 6 Hours again all being well!

We stay in nice chalets and see some wonderful racing and no posers on track between races which is a BIG plus for me

So shall I get our leader to book you in?

Last time we did a WW1 memorial site on the way and I plan to do the same this year.

Roger

ps the Memsahib can come if she is interested ?

There were 5 Memsahibs last time!

DSC00609.JPG

Finally got round to swapping the wheel studs on the back to the M12 this afternoon... did the fronts with no drama a couple of weeks ago.

Rogers patented nut and spacer tube worked a treat.  The old rear studs were much esier to knock out than the fronts.

IMG_3170.jpg.250d2122d13258a00d05d210de7d10c3.jpg

Drums back on all good.  First wheel on... wont go on... what have I done, is a stud wonky... cant be as the drums are on...  bit of head scratching.  

Check the wheels, holes for the studs are smaller. I had a spare stud, had to double double check.  Definitely wont go in.

IMG_3173.jpg.cec9a99dbff6b1ce751032e09943a494.jpg

Largest drill bit I have at home is 12mm.  

Thanks again to Roger for the loan of a couple of drill bits to open the hole out a fraction.  31/64" did the trick

Drama over, wheels on car and back in the garage.

Hello Ian

Glad to be of help

We have got to get your car sorted for the Trip to Spa 6 hours later in the year(we do not stop for stragglers!) Joke of  course we do but prefer not to !

I am looking forward to Spa 6 hours 3 maybe 4 days of Classic cars racing and not many posers! (what more can you ask for?)

Plus last time the cost for the 3 days was £30 and you can go any where ! (makes Classic Le Mans look VERY expensive?)

Plus is a better circuit as all the F1 drivers say!(and racing!)

Roger 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My exhaust is a single pipe sports exhaust, think it was from Pheonix looking at the old receipts.  Its the one with a small centre box to quieten things down.

The hooligan in me is wondering how much difference it makes and if I should swap it out and just have the back box.  

Yes I am a child :)

19 minutes ago, Radioactive Man said:

My exhaust is a single pipe sports exhaust, think it was from Pheonix looking at the old receipts.  Its the one with a small centre box to quieten things down.

The hooligan in me is wondering how much difference it makes and if I should swap it out and just have the back box.  

Yes I am a child :)

Hello Ian

You may find it irritating when and if we go to Spa when on the motorways at 70mph

Mine has the centre box and I find it just right sporty sounding but not to noisy when cruising at 70mph

But each to their own!

Roger  

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Radioactive Man said:

Oil cooler fitted.  Have added mounting straps on the top as well.AAD87E55-7139-4B4A-886E-A66E8C66A14E.thumb.jpeg.1922bd5a7f68b0c7ca5d662420f58273.jpeg

Hello Ian

I hope it is the Thermostatically controlled type??? and did you ask for the 3/4"UNF filter thread?

I can not work out the position is it the same as mine?

Roger

DSC06906.JPG

2 hours ago, Radioactive Man said:

Hi Roger, it’s a thermostatic one, it’s 5/8 though as I didn’t realise that the filters are easier to get in 3/4” thread size.

it’s mounted just in front of the radiator.  Similar to yours.

Hello Ian

Perhaps you can buy a different threaded bit? (Easy for me as I made mine!)

Roger

ps yes full width if going to Spain etc UK maybe not plus I like electric fans and as you see I have 2 that come on a different temperatures(2nd one does not tend to come on in UK but has a few times in Spain!)

My solution to the problem of fitting the oil cooler. Top mounted below the water rad so there is no mutual interference and bottom mount doubles up as a baffle to to keep the low pressure area behind the air dam separate from the high pressure area at the front of the car and encourage air to flow through both radiators to get to the low pressure area.

The holes in the front crossmember are not there for air flow purposes - they're for 'bling' and trying out the hole punch and swaging tool :laugh:

20191102_121449.thumb.jpg.1ad2767c918eb994e9aecafdd912d5c5.jpg

• Like 2

Thought I should share my Oil Cooler Pics!

Buying a modern oil cooler using 10AN fittings was ridiculously cheap on eBay compared to staying with older UHF connections.

Hard part was finding oil sandwich plate with 10AN fittings so I re-tapped one. You simply have no room around the spitfire oil filter to work with.

Andy

977418830_OilCollerRubberMount.thumb.jpg.26b9a2bb65f18002705d42ff964377dc.jpg2074558208_OilCoolerSandwichPlate.thumb.jpg.d6bf9c67f6e1d6c45275b64840389db1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ian

You are not having a lot of luck with that car!

Is that the side you replaced the UJ ?

I have a complete drive shaft in the shed and I think it is the offside the same if you want a quick fix and it probably has 12mm studs fitted.

So if you want it give me a shout.

It was on Spitty but I had a couple of new ones fail(yokes came loose) you can read the saga on this site!

So I fitted 2 new ones from Fittchets and up to now seem fit for purpose.

Roger

ps it could have been worse it could have spoiled drive it day for us all Ha Ha

Hello Ian

I have found 1 more stud so you only need 1 of yours.

I have fitted a slightly thicker circlip to tighten the UJ up a bit more (not that it clicked on Spitty)

It is a greaseable one so I have and a couple of pumps into the bearings.

I have sorted out a Standard set of bushes in case yours are difficult to remove or knackered.

So a couple of hours work and you will be on the road again

Roger