Hello Nick

I did not know that about the changes and spring rate!

Perhaps I will drop them off and have another good look?

When I first had the car(or early on) I stripped it all down and had a good look and I think replaced the trunnions and since then they have been regularly oiled with EP oil.

When I looked at them the other day that whole area is oily looking so should be no rust etc!

So perhaps spend my money on something else(But What?)

Roger 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never really understood the apetite in the classic car market for the sex shop look, looks much better now to my eyes at least.

Hello Ian                I have examined and measured to old one and I think worked out what was wrong with it apart from being loose! As you saw all the needle roller were present but the f

That is a very tidy car Richard by the way

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Turbo? :devil::whistling:

Hello Nick

I think with ITB,s Efi that would be a challenge!

What about PAS?

Or electric windows(not that we close them very often!)

I know a powered hood now that would be a challenge!

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, Nick Jones said:

Whe considering larger studs, consider that if you want to keep using the factory wheel trims, you set yourself a serious challenge if you go M12.  7/16” UNF from TR or a big saloon allows the use of TR6 wheel nuts, which gives a fighting chance. They can be fitted without major dismantling too.

Thinking to go 7/16 UNF studs to get something better than standard. and still give me the option of factory wheel trims in the future if I put the steels back on for some reason (no idea why but options :biggrin:)

Did not realise there are four part numbers for TR6 studs. Fronts and backs are different part numbers and then there is the option for steel wheels or adaptors for wires.

114282 steel front

114281 wires front

132317 steel rear

142799 wires rear

Anyone have any idea which works best on a Spitfire?

Steel wheels for sure.  Dunno why front and rear are different.  Pretty sure my friend with the 7/16" studs used big saloon ones not TR6.  TR6 supplied the nuts which are a fair bit chunkier than the Spit ones.

TR7 (studs and nuts) or later Dolly Sprint (studs only) might be another option.

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Steel wheels for sure.  Dunno why front and rear are different.  Pretty sure my friend with the 7/16" studs used big saloon ones not TR6.  TR6 supplied the nuts which are a fair bit chunkier than the Spit ones.

TR7 (studs and nuts) or later Dolly Sprint (studs only) might be another option.

No wonder the British car industry struggled when they were creating such complicated supply chains.  I will do some more research!

20 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Ian

These look like the type if they are long enough?

The others have the thick shoulder like the one I showed you

Wheel Stud - Rear - Each - 132317 | Rimmer Bros

Roger

Hello All

I just had a thought if you count the number of threads you will know how long they are?

That's if it is photo of the real stud!

Roger

Hope everyone is keeping well.

So pulled the worst of the two hubs off to take a look at the wheel bearings.  There was easily 0.25mm endfloat when I measured with a DTI.

I think the oil seal on the stub axle looks dry to me.  I expected it to look different.

IMG_2736.jpg.0c534bebd64932dbce7b465e873c5c16.jpg

I expected to see a little more grease between the rollers.  Its not how I thought it would look.

IMG_2739.jpg.211e18a52d6d765b5f1285d23f625650.jpg

To my mind the outer looks more like I expected with grease between the rollers.

IMG_2742.jpg.d3c5318e5e8ed576b1016bf648f83214.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg.bad1b6a277606ed81589244e6476a107.jpg

Havent had a look yet to see if there is much metal in the grease.

Have purchased some Timken bearings so will swap them regardless I think as these look like brand unknown.  Dont have the Timken grease... I am a land rover owner so its regular LMG2 from comma.

Hello Ian

Now is the time to change the wheel studs!

I fitted solid spacers to adjust end float and it stops brake pad knock back.

They have been fitted 3 years and only one adjusted by 0.002" after 1 year.

The pads used to rattle a lot not at all now!

Plus seeing as you are in lock down now might be a good time to check the trunnions as it half stripped down!

Especially as Crap wheel bearings were  fitted!!!

You know it make sense!

Roger 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

I fitted solid spacers to adjust end float and it stops brake pad knock back.

They have been fitted 3 years and only one adjusted by 0.002" after 1 year.

Which ones did you get Roger? Been thinking of fitting them myself as they seem like an excellent idea

You could try contacting this guy (it's James Shackford, well known in Club Triumph circles)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHACKTUNE-TRIUMPH-FRONT-HUB-BEARING-SPACER-KIT/143226142059?hash=item2158f17d6b:g:GlcAAMXQQUpRBZg-

The link is NOT for Spitfire ones but GT6/Vit/saloon.  He has done Spitfire ones in the past as well, but not sure if he still does as I think they were relatively slow sellers.