1976 Spitfire 1500

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Personally I think the steel wheels in 5.5" flavour suit the Spitfire best, regardless of year.

Also back in the day when I was collecting them they were a lot cheaper than the alloys and fairly readily available too. All changed now of course.

Tough as old boots too

Yep, there's a set of four on eBay at the moment that there asking for £300 for.  At least one looks like a 50p and needs some work doing, another's heading that way.  Might try a cheeky offer.

Or I keep trying to pick up odd ones as the cost of a single one will be lower per wheel I reckon.  The one I bought was not a stupid cost.  Patience required.

I agree on the 5.5s. Just wish they weren't so heavy, a shame you can't get a replica in alloy or something similar in 13" like Jaguar D type alloys.

This is them on my Spitfire: http://triumphspitfire.rickbaines.com/files/2013/05/photo-1024x768.jpg

Very original looking and make the 175/70s look in place too.

I can't remember how I tracked mine down but I got them from a guy who had them on a kit car - I think he might have seen my TSSC wanted ad as I seem to recall they published in car mags as well.

• Like 1

IIRC the 5.5 steels turn up in couple of different offsets depending on their origin.  Quite a few came from the formula world originally. Both offsets will work in most cases but something to be aware of.

I picked up a set of 5 recently for £160. Was lucky - don’t think the seller knew what he had and the other guy bidding wasn’t sure enough to turn up the heat.

• Like 1

Good point about the offsets Nick. I dug out my old emails and managed to find some photos from when I got them in 2012, I'd paid £50 for a set of 5 that needed refurbishing. I took them to a local place in an old mill in Eccleshill, Bradford that cleaned them up and powder coated them for (I think) about £160 cash. Seems like a bit of a bargain given what they are going for these days.

Anyhow photo attached of the inside of the rim in case that helps determine the offset. Shame I don't know which way it's facing!

P1040078a (Medium).JPG

Edit : checked these in person, they are a 16mm offset. They have a 16 stamped on the face of the wheel.

Edited by RichardBaines

On 11/18/2020 at 8:28 PM, Nick Jones said:

Hmm...... thanks for the link.  They might stay cheap due to poor pics, location and no postage.....  You only have his word for the 5.5" - absolutely no clues from the photos

I find it really bizzare how some people go about selling stuff.  Its not that hard to take a few decent photos... sometimes wonder about people.

• Like 1

So while I have been trying to collect 5 1/2" steel wheels badly I ended up buying a set of Cosmic 2 alloys that have lived the last 15 years in a bush.

Jet washed to crap off... and most of the paint on a couple of wheels so a painting project is on the horizon.

IMG_2155_1.jpg.c8fd851bb8e1880426ecb8742146489f.jpg

No rush to get them on the car.  Want to get my head round M12 wheel studs etc.

Are those 5.5” or 6”? Both exist but the latter are rare. Look closely at the metal between the wheel nut holes and the centre bore. There isn’t much and they are prone to cracks. Most have steel inserts but cracks in the surrounding alu are still possible.

whe considering larger studs, consider that if you want to keep using the factory wheel trims, you set yourself a serious challenge if you go M12.  7/16” UNF from TR or a big saloon allows the use of TR6 wheel nuts, which gives a fighting chance. They can be fitted without major dismantling too.

21 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Are those 5.5” or 6”? Both exist but the latter are rare. Look closely at the metal between the wheel nut holes and the centre bore. There isn’t much and they are prone to cracks. Most have steel inserts but cracks in the surrounding alu are still possible.

whe considering larger studs, consider that if you want to keep using the factory wheel trims, you set yourself a serious challenge if you go M12.  7/16” UNF from TR or a big saloon allows the use of TR6 wheel nuts, which gives a fighting chance. They can be fitted without major dismantling too.

I thought they are 5.5" wheels - thats what they were advertised as.  Just double checked and... It appears that there are three 5.5" and two 6" wheels. 

I guess the 6" will be going on the back and the 5.5" on the front - do you see any issue with that?

dont look to be any cracking but I need to get the paint stripper out to get them back to base metal.  Might see if I can get them crack tested at work.

The 7/16" UNF wheel studs sounds like a plan, can they fit without having to pull the rear hubs off?

20 minutes ago, Radioactive Man said:

It appears that there are three 5.5" and two 6" wheels. 

Interesting.  That's the exact combination I sold about 14 years ago to a Herald owner in Yeovil.  Had them on my Vitesse for many years before that.  6" on the rear as you say.

In fact the 6" came later on when I discovered a crack in one of 5.5" and went looking for others.   Found a part set of 3 on ebay for not much - which was just as well as one of them was cracked too.  Advertised as 5.5" but were actually 6".

I'm told you can fit the (right) 7/16" studs without removing the hubs from front or rear.  My informant even showed me a video!

Typical crack

crack 2.JPG

Thanks Nick, I will be sure to take a close look at them for cracking.  Mine do also have the steel inserts but as you say they wont stop cracking occurring in areas such as that.

Mine came from Evesham, think they have been in the fellas hedge for some years.  Tyres were about 16 years old I think so they are in the bin.

• 3 weeks later...