Does anyone know if MAPP gas on a simple plumbing propane torch would be suitable for a few small brazing jobs?

There are three things I need it for on the Spitfire - adding in a bung for an oil temp sensor in the sump, recreating the original outer sill to rear wing joint, and also the joint where the windscreen gutter ends at the A post.

I'm fairly proficient with the torch for soldering 15mm pipe for compressor airlines and actual household plumbing, but have never tried brazing with it.

Your setup will work fine on small chunks of metal, but there may be too much heat sink from larger ares of sheet metal.  Your torch may not be able to pump heat in fast enough. Give it a try, though.

Ed

For smaller items, I've found that it helps to build an 'oven' of loose bricks.    They reflect the heat back onto the item, so that it looses less heat by radiation, and gets hotter.

May help just to put bricks around the part you're heating, or to build one for the entire sump, if you have enough bricks, but that won't help for bodywork!

I don't doubt what you say, Roger, but I'm not smelting anything, just using the bricks as a thermal mirror.  I've noted that after heating an  item to red heat a few times (I was straightening out a piece of 6mm/1/4" steel strip) I could dismantle the 'oven' with bare hands, as long as I didn't grasp the facing faces.      The rest were barely hot!

However, I know that my house was made from 'engineering' brick in the 1900s - putting up shelves is the Devil's own task as the bricks are very hard indeed!      The loose bricks I have found around the house and garden are probably from the same stock, certainly from a local Brickworks by the name on the frog.      Do you think that might be making them safer?

John

Edited by JohnD

Hot things - deffo face visor.

PPE every time - except once.    Quick grind of a small weld that was bit bulky.  Aaaaaaargh!  Bit in my eye!    How embarassing is it to have to attend your own hospital's A&E to have the tiny fragment picked out?    PPE, every, every time!

Thanks guys! Great to hear it is at least worth a go. Could save me the cost of hiring or buying oxy acetylene gear, and I'm short of space as it is.

Its so easy to be lazy with PPE isn't it. My strategy now is to install it on hooks in the garage at the most convenient locations to avoid me justifying avoiding it in my head ie. "Oh its just a 10 second cut". If its right there next to you those stupid arguments hold even less water.