Engine build help request . Please..

We are looking near West Country if possible as I do not like long car journeys ( although if it was in my Spit it would be far more tolerable . :smile: ) 

I still have my Dad two sisters and my four daughters and their families  in SE London so there would be some visiting to and fro .

My other sister and her family lives and has a couple of shops in Tetbury and Nailsworth and my mum who was in Peckham Rye is now in Stroud close to my half brother so already some folk down that way .

16 hours ago, Spit131 said:

Out of interest,

who is reasonably local to me ? 
Bromley .

Which bit of Bromley?

Brought up in Keston and then Bromley Common. That whole area has changed so much since I lived there, it used to feel part of Kent now its part of London. I now live just north of Cambridge.

Mike

I'm out in the weald just below Edenbridge. Good to know of the choice of machine shops near me!

If anyone knows of a dynamic balancing company around that neck of the woods that would be brilliant. I've used Baldyne before, but would be good to know if there's a choice.

Edited by BiTurbo228

Hi Mike , I used to live in Victoria Road in Bromley common . Bromley IS changing fast , like the world , it’s becoming another soulless Croydon . ‘ New Croydon ‘ or ‘ Catford on the hill ‘ . Hence my desire to move on before I get an unfavourable neighbour and I spend the rest of my life behind bars .

BiTurbo , close to Edenbridge , we are also regular visitors to ‘ The Wheatsheaf ‘ at Bough Beech . The owner is an ex city boy who loves his classics all though you are talking P2s rather than Spitfires .

Bough Beech reservoir is a really beautiful bird reserve , if you go at the right time , dusk in particular, it is empty and silent apart from the calls of numerous types of birds . Stunning !
Sadly even the ‘ sticks ‘ area between Bromley and Brighton which I would like to stay in is out of our price range for something reasonable with large garage and garden . 
Yes , surprising the choice of decent looking motor shops out there .

Edited by Spit131

Hi Matt and Biturbo228.

I'm just outside Dorking on the north downs. Another engine shop to add to the list albeit a bit further west in Bracknell is Classic and Modern, a nice traditional machine shop and very helpful/knowledgeable.

john

On 8/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, John I said:

Another engine shop to add to the list albeit a bit further west in Bracknell is Classic and Modern, a nice traditional machine shop and very helpful/knowledgeable.

Another thumbs up here from me, they did the machining of the Vitesse mk2 engine that is presently in my GT6, really nice job. I have a smooth oil tight engine that offers good power...marvellous!

By the way, I have moved down to live near Odiham in Hampshire after the past 58 years living in the Staines area of the UK, blimey its quiet! How nice to not sit in traffic jams!

On 8/27/2020 at 8:48 AM, Spit131 said:

Pete , hi , interesting , we were up at old Dulwich for a drink last weekend and regularly visit Lordship Lane . My natural mum lived on Peckham Rye just around the corner from there . I will check Motortech out also .

I'm in Dulwich fairly often - next time you're round that way keep an eye out for a smokey Spitfire or drop me a PM and i'll swing by for a quick hello.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:01 PM, BiTurbo228 said:

If anyone knows of a dynamic balancing company around that neck of the woods that would be brilliant. I've used Baldyne before, but would be good to know if there's a choice.

Funny you mention Baldyne, I'd given up on them/him after some imperfect experiences, which is why I found this Motortech place instead.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:48 PM, John I said:

Hi Matt and Biturbo228.

I'm just outside Dorking on the north downs. Another engine shop to add to the list albeit a bit further west in Bracknell is Classic and Modern, a nice traditional machine shop and very helpful/knowledgeable.

john

Recently had a rebore done there, and supplied pistons at a price I could not match anywhere. Happy with their work. Bit of a trek, but drop-off and collection tied up with other "trips" 

I am in Brighton. B]Great place to live. But yes, property is not cheap.... But go a few miles away and prices do drop considerably.

• Like 1

Hi Zetec ,

I regularly look in a ten/fifteen mile radius around Brighton having spent many nights in very nice Kemptown B&Bs but very few character 2/3 bed houses with garden , parking , garage come up in our price range . Trouble is ‘ Camden on sea ‘ :cool: is very popular and areas like Lewis , Battle , Hayward’s Heath are also in big demand .  I think we will have more chance further afield but I won’t stop looking .

RE main short block , it appears having trawled F/L archives that the block is not of 124 origin but 132/Argenta origin . Who can you trust ? Makes little or no difference though as far as I am aware , still RWD and was used in the Morgan .

it also appears that the ‘ ready to run ‘ 130tc engine is possibly in fact a 125tc engine ?!?!

These two blocks are marked on the first pic and the other two blocks in the second . At least I know what I am dealing with .

AD44ABA8-0C55-4021-B40E-9CE88C4BB573.thumb.jpeg.9f7ac2e82d200b9b372bc1fa78d88eba.jpeg

6784ACE3-6F94-4A4F-9705-97D55593DFCF.thumb.jpeg.cd62f5c66577394c9362e3e5f78efd31.jpeg

Edited by Spit131

No response from CCK so due to the connection with GC I will contact SMD in north Kent on Tuesday and try to get a feel for how they would deal with the short block work . If anyone has any relevant questions to put forward do let me know please .  
No sign of the forged HC pistons yet .

As I said , the more worrying aspect is the crank re-grind question . 
I spoke with SMD today , seemed very decent . He said he is very busy but could do the block work in early November . From what I have gathered most places are struggling to catch up with back logs . 
Apparently he worked for GC years ago but is still in regular communication and still shares some work with him . 
I will send an email to confirm the date and range of block work involved in order to get an estimate of those works .

In the meantime I need to find out the truth about the ‘ odd sized ‘ 125 unit crank . 

Unfortunately I think I might have already upset the American Fiat website owner of Fiat124.com which is one of the rare remaining relevant sites out there as some of my pics on my Flikr link  have a commercial link . Stupid of me , should have thought , but nothing intentional . My signature is now highlighted in red and non functional . I have apologised , declared my innocence and offered to rectify but no response so far .Tonight and tomorrow I will swap out any commercial pics with personal pics . Hopefully this has not caused a problem here ?

They should have L plates for non IT Savy folk . 
Or do I need a nanny ?