yorkshire_spam

Man the bafflements!

A couple of things I can't work out. 

#1 Why do so many people on classic car forums seem so obsessed with compression testing? In 28 or so years of motoring in old bangers and classic cars I've never done one. I have 2 inherited testers in boxes on the shelves in the garage, never used. What am I missing? Why are people so obsessed with compression testing? Am I an idiot for missing out on the magic bullet of engine diagnostics?

#2 Why do so many people on classic car forums seem to buy everything from Rimmers?!

I accept that pretty much 100% of popular culture and modern society baffle me, but in the classic car world (An area I find more understandable than average) these 2 things continue to baffle me.

Sorry just ignore me, I had to get it off my chest.

#1 They do have their uses.  Did one last night.  In fact it only proved what I was pretty sure I knew already (big hole in gasket between 3 & 4) but nice to be sure.  I do occasionally just test for the hell of it ....... don't fuss about the values so much as the relative values. 10% variance is ok, 5% better.  Have made some oddball diagnoses in the past.  Brothers R21 that used to idle on three but run on 4 fine once off idle.  That had one cylinder higher than all the others when tested with the throttle shut and all equal with throttle open.  That led me to a broken manifold gasket, but TBH it was semi-accidental because I forgot to hold the throttle open for the first round of tests.  Not sure I would have found it otherwise.

#2 I don't know either.  True their website is pretty good and their service (mostly) pretty good - but then the same goes for Canleys (actually like their website better now) and Paddocks......  Rimmers sometimes tempt you in with special offers that mostly bring 'em down to everyone else's normal prices.  I generally have a look at all three, and ebay.  I don't necessarily buy the cheapest but I don't buy from Rimmers very often.  Tends to be when they have something listed online that I want that no one else does.  Likely the others (especially Canley) do have it but not listed online and I could make a call.  But quite often I'm looking out of hours..... like now....

Like the theme though - and the name.

• Like 1

#1 Probably answered your own question. Because so many do it, anyone with my level of ignorance probably thinks it is 'a good thing' (and its pretty easy).

#2 Simple = Convenience. Rimmers (and Moss) - well known, easy to use website, huge range, pictures, click, click, click and its on your doorstep. Also once they have your details they send you regular emails to reinforce their brand(s) in your mind. Canleys' website for a TR owner at least, less so. No pictures for the less experienced, many items out of stock but can be ordered (so delay). Less convenient. Actually, I now shop around much more. Much of Rimmers and Moss stock comes from the same source I think. Not sure about Canleys. So between them its a price call. But I use Ebay a lot. Often cheaper with no obvious loss of quality on new stuff or better still find an original part that is probably better quality than the repro. I think I am learning!. 

Miles

• Like 1

I've actually been pondering #1 a bit more, I suspect it has something to do with the fact that up until very recently I've operated a bit of a "banger-nomics" approach. So I wouldn't have had the cash to put right the sort of faults that a compression test would identify.

If my car wasn't running right I'd have been more likely to pull the engine and try and source a cheap running replacement to keep me on the road than have the time and money to strip an engine down an rebuild.

#2 - I get the convenience and all that, but I guess my yorkshire-man tendencies take over.