Sign in to follow this  
Hamish

Shelsely Walsh live stream this weekend.

Shelsley Walsh are live streaming this weekends hill climb meeting

I am going to try and do the hill on Saturday. 
been prepping the car. 

hardtop off

windscreen off

race wheels on

numbers on (they want a front nearside facing number)

checking fluids

etc etc

43.88 to beat

but it’s looking to be a damp day :confused:

BDCBBAAE-0227-402A-AFD3-0A1DDBF2F267.jpeg

Fingers crossed for the weather! Let us know if you go, I'll try and tune in. 

Thanks I’ll be there.

signing on was on line and they have set up a queuing system on arrival to get into the paddock. 

I just wanted to move the car yesterday and the starter just clicked. 
as i have swapped to an alternator I thought this was the culprit.

then saw the battery conditioner charger was not indicating as it should and the battery was less than 12v

i put it on an ancient trickle charger. This morning still less than 12v.

so today a quick trip to Halfords and judicious use of my trade card has the car running. 

fingers crossed for tomorrow.

its not a hill I’m that familiar with the track side banks are a bit intimidating and I have to get used to new front suspension and a lsd.

So no personal or hill records for me but there is a bloody quick race  prepared tr7v8 in the triumph class that should be fun to watch.

• Like 1

Wow..... actual motorsport..... excellent! :smile:  

Discretion probably the better part of valour.... not enough run-off in most (or any even) places at Shelsley for heroics with an untested lsd.

Re battery conditioners, I seem to have heard seen/a few stories recently about batteries that have died while being "tended" by a battery conditioner.  Don't like them myself.  A battery in good fettle should be able to sit for 3 months without taking harm provided it's disconnected from the leaky car electrics and should be trickle charged at that point before reconnecting or being left again.

Have a great day and will try to watch it.  Will you be filming your own runs as usual?

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Wow..... actual motorsport..... excellent! :smile:  

Discretion probably the better part of valour.... not enough run-off in most (or any even) places at Shelsley for heroics with an untested lsd.

Re battery conditioners, I seem to have heard seen/a few stories recently about batteries that have died while being "tended" by a battery conditioner.  Don't like them myself.  A battery in good fettle should be able to sit for 3 months without taking harm provided it's disconnected from the leaky car electrics and should be trickle charged at that point before reconnecting or being left again.

Have a great day and will try to watch it.  Will you be filming your own runs as usual?

Nick

i think I’ll leave the battery conditioner off the new battery.

i hope battery failure is coincidental to alternator upgrade or just shocked an older battery with up to 40amps rather the dynamo’s 20.

time will tell. 

I hope to video the runs but I need to remember to turn it on amongst the COVID protection measures. 

sticky tyres are on so hope the lsd doesn’t kick in for a full rear end slide just good drive out of the bends.

my car is a bit heavy and under powered for Shelsely it’s very steep esp in the middle

How did it go Hamish? I was hoping the live stream would stay up for a while but seems like they didn't do that. 

Posted (edited)

It was a good day.

the organisation and COVID rules were good and worked well.

mid morning we had a thunderstorm of biblical proportions that started to flood the bottom end of the paddock. We were on the grass but sheltered in spare “garages”

first practice the backend stepped out on the exit of the top esses but not too bad. Lsd in action I think !!

the competition runs were as good as dry as could be expected we had 3 TR’s in the class me in the my 3a 116bhp. A tr6 with 170bhp and a tr7v8 approaching 400bhp 
surprisingly I was 3rd :biggrin: on the road but 2nd in our class scoring with a personal best time of 42.03

I think this is about a 1.6 off my previous time. 

http://resultsman.co.uk/LiveTiming/EventViewer.php?DB=Resultsman&EventID=1351&Mode=0&GroupID=26951&Trap=6&CompID=162471

(you can see the other classes etc from the tabs on the left of their web site but looks like to have to click each individual racer to see their best times as it seems the class list is only practice times.)

2 trailer punctures on the day naffed me off a bit tho 

overall pleased it all works.

my wife was able to watch both my runs and video’s the laptop screen for me.

doesn't appear to be On YouTube yet.

i had video issues due to the wet weather so may only have one run with dodgy sound  ?!

H

Edited by Hamish
Sp

Looks good Hamish! 

Nice that the commentator gets a 'tractor engine' reference in on the 2nd run... 

Thanks Nick.

pleased with the way it went. 

just underpowered  / over weight for such a steep hill. 
even with the new 4.1:1 diff gearing. 1.6 sec faster that before which I think is a good improvement on a 42/43 sec run.

Shelsley is a power hill...... if not THE power hill. The last straight.....!

1.6 second gain is excellent, especially as a first outing after major mods :smile:

Not a bad day out then Hamish and all the hard work looks to be making a difference. Thanks for the gear change explanation in another place - I always try and work out out from the vids (sad I know!).

Bummer about the 2 punctures but at least you are in good company with Hamilton et al. They weren't Pirellis by any chance...? 

Miles

15 hours ago, Hamish said:

This is my video of Shelsely the other weekend. 
forgive the sound the aux microphone got soaking wet. 

Enjoyed that, thanks! 

Thank you for all your kind words. 
I have Shelsley and Curborough booked and I think that will be it for the season especially as my boss decided to let me go as the non contribution furlough finished so I m an economic COVID casualty. Better than being a medical one !!

H